U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 05:50 AM

111 posts, read 517,663 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each town? My husband may except a job in Cherokee but I'm not sure if I can live that far away from shopping malls and restaurants. We've got three kids and need fun things to do. How does Cherokee keep families entertained?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 03:03 PM

Wow. Twenty two people looked at this and no one has any input about LeMars or Cherokee? I'm getting the feeling that these towns are super small.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:17 PM

20 posts, read 53,755 times
Sorry Mary, I can't answer your questions. I'm on here looking for some similiar info. My hubby is considering a job in Le Mars, but I think we would live in Sioux City. I'm not sure how far that is from Cherokee, but it's a larger city with shopping and restaurants. It's not a major city like Minneapolis, or Des Moines, but not too bad, at least from what I can tell from my research online. I also called the chamber to get some info. I have not yet been to Le Mars or Sioux City, so I"m sorry I can't be much more help.

I assume your husband visited Cherokee before accepting a job there. What did he think of the area? I would be curious to ask him if he noticed a "cow odor" while there. I know, weird question, but my hubby said he noticed one in Le Mars. That would really bother me personally. I'm going to post something separately about it to see what kind of info I can get. Just wondering if Sioux City would be just the same.

On the plus side, I did see online that Le Mars has what looks to be a terrific YMCA, and the school district ranked well on greatschools.net. I hope you can get some better responses soon. Good Luck!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:22 AM

My husband has not accepted the job or gone to Cherokee yet. He flies out on the 21st for the interview. So I can give you more info then. We have lived in Vermont for the last ten years so a little manure spreading smell every once in awhile probably wouldn't bother us. It comes with living near farms. I have done some research on the area and I think that we would live in LeMars so that I could commute to Sioux City for work. I'm an Accountant and I don't know how many Accounting jobs there are in Cherokee or LeMars. So where are you from?

Old 11-11-2011, 07:54 AM

9,411 posts, read 10,372,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary77 View Post
Wow. Twenty two people looked at this and no one has any input about LeMars or Cherokee? I'm getting the feeling that these towns are super small.
I've lived in Iowa my entire life and honestly I don't have a clue where either town even is in the state! So, i don't have any advice for you.

Iowa seems to have more small towns than a lot of other states, so there are many I've never heard of and have never been. Many I would have only heard of if the TV weatherman mentioned them!

Old 07-30-2016, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,739 times
I live in Cherokee. Have for many years and am raising my three kids here. An hour from Sioux City. I love the relaxed pace of life. The kind people and the fun things Cherokee has to offer, movie theater, wellness center, parks, community theatre, and special events like the County Fair, Rodeo, Creekfest, and Jazz and Blues Festvial. I also love the education my kids are getting at the school.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:17 AM

71 posts, read 95,211 times
I live right between both towns and here is my 2 cents. As far as entertainment, Le mars would win by a slight margin. Le mars has bowling and a movie theatre where Cherokee just has a small movie theatre(bowling alley just closed). Both have community theatres, events such as their county fairs, and okay public schools As far as shopping, Le mars has a Walmart to where Cherokee has a k mart and hometown shopko. Both have many restaurants such as your pizza hut and mcdonalds. Both also have a fareway and hyvee. Le Mars being about twice the size of Cherokee(Le Mars about 10,000 people Cherokee over 5,000 people) has a couple more options such as restaurants and they have a maurices. For any like fashion shopping you will have to go to Sioux City. Le Mars is also closer to Sioux City by a half an hour compared to Cherokee. So I think Le Mars would win on the location too. Le Mars is growing slowly over the years and Cherokee is slightly declining. I honestly like both towns but I would have to say that you would like Le Mars better than Cherokee. I'm not trying to bash Cherokee. They have a nice downtown and events but I just think Le Mars would be the better pick

Old 08-15-2016, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,739 times
Cherokee has some local shops for clothing for men and women and young adult that are priced well. They also have a nice sports store
As for the population declining....true, but on the rise. Tyson left and isn't playing fair with allowing the town to find a new business to go in the building, but the town is rallying nicely.
Also, there are some new houses being built by a city development committee that are attracting families. They are also tearing down old houses that are abandoned and that has gone a long way to beautify the city.

Also, you can't judge schools unless you have actually attended both or have personal knowledge. Schools can't be judged on tests scores and both Cherokee and LeMars do a good job of education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or