U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 05:45 PM

20 posts, read 53,799 times

Advertisements

I have sort of a strange question. My hubby is considering a job in Le Mars. After some internet research, we will likely live in Sioux City. My main concern is this: when my hubby was interviewing, he said he noticed a "cow smell" in Le mars. He noticed it in the morning and was indoors all day and still noticed it when he went back outdoors. He stopped for dinner somewhere in Sioux City and said he didn't notice the smell. I've seen in some older posts (3-5 years ago), that sometimes there is an odor in SC. I actually called the chamber of commerce and asked them directly. (I don't know a single soul in SC or Iowa for that matter). They told me the Morrell plant ceased production in April of 2010 and is in the process of shutting down completely, and that took care of the smell. Are there any other meat processing plants close by? Is there a constant odor in the air, or maybe just occassionally? In other words, maybe my hubby was in Le Mars on a bad day, maybe the odor is there ocassionally? Maybe you locals out there could give me a straight answer.

On another note, I'm looking mostly at homes on the north side of the city. I like the look of Clark Elementary, (I have young children), but I'm wondering why North Middle and North High don't rank as well on greatschools.net. Are they good schools and I shouldn't put too much faith into greatschools.net or is there another issue?

I'm a stay at home mom, and hope to find other moms who like to be social and do things, and not just sit at home and clean house all day. I belong to a book club and an out to lunch group where I currently live, and do these things once a month. Any other Sioux City moms like minded? I'm coming from another midwestern area, where the people are friendly, but won't be your friend. They stick with the folks they grew up with and don't like to include outsiders with their "group." I had a lonely couple of years until I finally found a few women who were interested in actually hanging out ocassionally. Every now and then we bake together, have lunch or dinner, go to a movie, share books, etc. Sorry I'm rambling, just looking for some honest opinions, like I said, I don't know a single person in Iowa! I'm hoping Iowa's reputation for being friendly and sociable is true!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,855 times
My husband and I are also looking to move to Sioux City from Northern California and I was curious as to how your relo was going and what you thought of the area.

Thanks!!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 PM

3,803 posts, read 5,158,286 times
Information from a previous post.
Can anyone tell me anything about LeMars Iowa?

Last edited by jmgg; 01-13-2012 at 12:30 AM..

Old 01-24-2012, 01:31 PM

4 posts, read 11,207 times
Sioux City is a great place to live and I encourage you to continue gathering data on the community to help you in your relocation process. Some good sites include www.locatesiouxcity.com/home, Visit Sioux City | Sioux City Tourism, and Sioux City Metro - Chamber - Economic Development - Home.
The John Morrell packing plant has been torn down and any odors are being eliminated. The City is extremely supportive of growth and works to involve citizens to provide fresh ideas to make a positive difference in the community. There are many groups to join ranging from book clubs to bicycling and the young professionals group, Sioux City Go is extremely active. Come and visit Sioux City....we would love to have you here year round!

Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 PM

20 posts, read 53,799 times
Thank you awestra, you've eased my mind a bit. I have been out to visit Sioux City and really liked what I saw. And anywhere I went, the people were so friendly. I am hoping we sell our home soon so we can move out there. Lookign forward to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or