Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:35 PM

7 posts, read 11,787 times

Advertisements

I have lived in CB for most of my life and am getting ready to move to Texas by the end of October not because of anything the govt or anything else just because Im ready for a change in scenery. We are right across the river from Omaha which has violence more than once every day from robberies to killings either by guns or stabbing or just plain old school fighting. Omaha has an awesome zoo, they have coco keys which is an indoor water park that children could have fun at I know mine do when we take them. I would have to agree that the red light cameras are stupid and some of them dont even work anymore which is sad cuz it wasnt too long ago that they were all put in. I think those damn cameras cause more accidents than not. I personally am a stay at home mom and full time college student at Iowa Western and I love that school. It is growing so rapidly. My husband works in Omaha and makes decent money. The winters totally suck unless you love snow and ice. The summers can get really hot and we do have tornados but you learn to live with it and if your like me and you watch the news and know that storms are coming or could come I get things ready to take to the basement to ride the storm out thats about all you can do. I have never been a part of a tornado in my adult life anyway and I have not heard to much about riding out a storm with my parents as a baby. Idk what more info you are looking for but if this dont help just ask. My daughter played soccer for the CBYSA which is a GREAT organization and is a good one to particapte in, I coached her team up till this season when we decided we were moving and I am a league rep for them. My son has special needs and he plays what we call buddy baseball and he loves it that to is a good organization to be a part of if we werent leaving I would love to be on the committe for that as well. Pirates Cove is a public swimming pool which can be great family fun. Star Cinema is an awesome movie theater especially on the inside. We just had Joes Karting built by the movie theater and my husband and his friends have a blast there. I have never been there myself but they always seem to have fun there. The bar scene if thats what your into is ok I go to one bar as it is my favorite. Me and my crew used to go to Sharks Club in Omaha but are kinda scared to now as some one opened fire inside the bar a while back. We now love to go to Goofys and Blush on 21st and 9th Ave, its always good times and the bartenders are AWESOME!! One bartender just took 4th place in a contest to find the best bartender in Omaha. He was the only one from Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 01:12 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I never really knew why the population of CB hasn't moved in decades. It has roughly the same number of people it did 40 years ago. Meanwhile the Nebraska side has been going gangbusters since the 1990's.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:43 AM

449 posts, read 1,394,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I never really knew why the population of CB hasn't moved in decades. It has roughly the same number of people it did 40 years ago. Meanwhile the Nebraska side has been going gangbusters since the 1990's.
The Omaha metropolitan area is one of the very few cities/metros in the midwest that has shown any growth. You would think that C.B. would have shared in this growth but it has not. And, with its cheap real estate and close proximity to downtown Omaha I am a bit surprised the town hasn't grown for just those two reaons. Evidently, downtown aside, Omaha's growth has been west thus encouraging those people with money to live out there, not anywhere near C.B.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:16 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I was wondering that. I've noticed that Omaha's huge growth spurt seems to be more to the west. That might steal some of the light from those thinking about moving east. It's kinda the same in Des Moines.

I thought maybe Iowa had worse tax rates, but income tax seems to be somewhat similar until you get over $42K, then it gets cheaper to live in Nebraska. Sales taxes look the same, and property taxes look a little lower in CB. Overall it seems to even out for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: