Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:45 PM

57 posts, read 204,709 times

Advertisements

Well I'd like to relocate to CR myself. I lived there years ago as a kid and still think I'd like it. When I get there I plan to hold some sort of block party.. well maybe an open house. I know I'll need some guidence in regard to the area and what better way to do that than to FEED the neighbors and ask their opinions. I don't think the whole event has to be fancy.. just fun! If no one comes well then at least I can say I tried and I'll put everything into the freezer. Moving on I'll volunteer to help the organization that's revitalizing downtown or get my feet wet elsewhere. I've finally learned after 50+ years that the world WILL NOT COME TO YOU IF YOU PARK YOUR BUTT ON THE COUCH AND NEVER GET THE BALL ROLLING!

So tell me a newcomer's view on Cedar Rapids. I love the idea that it is so close to Ill, MN, WS and all those areas to explore with Farmers Markets, apple orchards, vineyards and the Mississippi less than an hour away... talk about centrally located! WOW! Maybe that should be a new CR motto.. 'CR the gateway to the great American Midwest'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 11:32 AM

19 posts, read 29,049 times
As a transplant in Des Moines, living here more than 4 years now, I can completely understand the original posters complaint. It is REALLY hard breaking into the social scene here, even in a town of 200,000+, because so many people residing here were born in the area and lived here their entire lives, having grown up with the friends they keep. Iowans are on the conservative side, but more so I think they're cool toward new and seemingly strange folks from other regions of the country. And I am active -- I've been involved with volunteer work for over 2 years and have met plenty of people. It's just that we never seem to get beyond superficiality, and when I attempt to, they retreat.

Many, many times I've considered moving away. My friends in Nebraska and down South tell of knowing people who lived here in Iowa for years and finally gave up and moved due to loneliness. My feelings of isolation run deep and definitely is making it difficult to continue living in this area. If not for my job and one friend I met prior to moving here I'd probably have left after the first 2 years.

So, CR-transplant, you are not alone. Down South people are more into socializing and developing kin ties, whereas up here people just have a different way of doing things. I chalk much of it up to a culture clash.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:41 PM

408 posts, read 809,120 times
OP, I know how you feel in a way. I grew up in a town of 11,000 people (in IA as well) and everyone really does know everyone's last name....I didn't like that so I moved to C.R. and love the fact that I'm just another number. It is extremely hard to meet new friends (but I think it's hard to do no matter where you move to) I finally gave up since the people I was meeting at Kirkwood were a few years younger than me and on a completely different maturity level than myself...my boyfriend is much more "people-oriented" than I am, I'm much more quiet, keep to myself type...he met some friends up here and luckily I got along with one of the guy's girlfriends...she ended up introducing me to all of her friends and fortunately we all get along great. I think maybe, don't take it the wrong way....but don't try so hard, you might just make friends when you least expect it. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-30-2011, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,490 times
Hi..I totally agree with you!! I stay in Hiawatha,CR. and the neighbors don't even smile back if you greet them..dunno know how am i going to survive here..

Old 04-30-2011, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,305 times
I moved to Cedar Falls Iowa from SLC, Utah, and I have never been more lonely in my entire life! Iowans are polite on the outside, but reserved, conservative, and SO hard to get close to for a newcomer. It is a lonely place for an 'outsider' with no extended family around.

In Utah, people are so friendly. And its easy to make friends with all kinds of different people. Even for a non-Mormon such as myself. Plus people are more reserved about their religion - here even the school teachers constantly bring up their religion (few boundaries/separation of church and state in schools here). It feels like I live in the Bible belt sometimes. Utah seems liberal by comparison, in this way.

My 13 and 16 YO kids plan to leave the state right after high school to go back to the U of U.

I want to go home too!!! Too bad I am stuck here until my husband retires. After these last few years of trying and trying to extend the hand of friendship, host dinner parties, etc... (people come, but then Iowans don't seem to follow the normal rules of reciprocation, and the friendships dead-end) we are hoping he can retire early. Some days being so lonely in this place feels like a prison sentence. I wish I could integrate - I once thought we would settle here, but at this point I really just can't wait to leave!!!

Old 05-03-2011, 10:32 AM

412 posts, read 1,152,757 times
Good places to find friends is meet at social clubs of your favorite hobby or whatever.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:20 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,305 times
Yes, this thread has been resurrected once again. Yey. This was posted like 4 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa