U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 11:49 PM

105 posts, read 368,748 times

Advertisements

Considering a relation to Cedar Rapids and I am wondering what neighborhoods might be ideal for me. My budget in a home would be $200,000 max. I would like to be close to Restaurants, shops, & shopping, maybe even walking distance. Also, I would prefer a single family home over a condo. Would downtown be the best area to find these things?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 11:03 AM

414 posts, read 1,045,010 times
Avoid downtown Cedar Rapids, it's crime ridden with lots of poverty in the area. You might want to try West and Northeast part of the city or Marion. Also avoid southeast area, too. That's what I have read in other forum threads. West part area is pretty nice and near big parks from what I've seen.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:01 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,573,314 times
Most of the shopping and restaurants would be along Collins Rd starting at 1st Ave. on the North side of town and along Edgewood Rd starting at HWY 30 and to the north of there.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:17 PM

7 posts, read 11,951 times
I have to be an advocate for the SE side. It's interesting and diverse, there are a lot of very neighborhood-y neighborhoods, different personalities of those different neighborhoods, wonderful parks, and also some very fancy neighborhoods. (There are a few shabby ones, too, but not too many.) You can buy a pretty swish house in Cedar Rapids with that budget, too...but SE is close to downtown, plus it's historic, the houses are not all the same, and it's very green and pretty and not as close to factories as some of the other neighborhoods. Our neighbors have been wonderful and we have only heard that from other residents across the SE side.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:14 PM

16 posts, read 73,141 times
200k will go pretty far in the Cedar Rapids area. We sold a 1600sq ft house on the NE side for 140k and bought a 2600 in marion for 160k. Have you thought about Marion? It's pretty close to CR, but it seems like there's less sketchy areas. We just moved there last month and our property taxes and water/trash bills are lower. If you move to the SE side be careful. Some of it is gorgeous and pretty safe and some parts you wouldn't really want to be walking around after dark. If you find a good realtor you'll be fine. If you need a recommendation I'm sure you could get one (I have one).

Old 06-09-2012, 12:15 AM

3 posts, read 7,502 times
One suggestion I have is to input the street/streets, including those near the house, and see how much crime there is in the neighborhood

[url=http://apps.cedar-rapids.org/policelogs/calls_lookup.asp]City of Cedar Rapids, Iowa[/url]

Actually, a lot of the SE side of Cedar Rapids is very nice. There are some huge older homes in this area, and the most of the area is designated as historic. (This does put restrictions on what changes you can make to the outside of a home). Be careful though. There are some unbelievable deals on big houses, and there is always a reason for that in this area.

Avoid Bever Avenue SE, 4th Avenue, 5th Avenue, most especially from 14th Street to 19th Street. Above 19th Street should be fine.

As far as safety and access to everything, the NE side of town is probably the best. It can also be more expensive. Marion is a wonderful little town, as is Hiawatha, and they seem like part of Cedar Rapids. There is no gap where CR ends and these towns begin.

I don't know much about the SW and NW parts of town as far as living there.

If you find a place online and you'd like to know about the area, feel free to mail me and I'll do my best to help. Probably to use my gmail - [email]defdumbandblonde@gmail.com[/email].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or