Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:50 AM

41 posts, read 164,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
That's something I tried pointing out with political statistics from our most recent presidential election. Johnson County has a much higher percentage of liberal voters than the bigger Iowa counties (I cited Polk and Scott as examples.)
Using your statistics, Johnson County had 41847 people vote for Kerry in 2004. Polk County had 105218 Kerry voters. Johnson County might top Polk County on per capita percentage, but by actual numbers, Des Moines would be where you would find the most "liberals" in one county in Iowa.

I don't mind Iowa City at all, but it's a university town--so I don't have any desire to live there (as it's not very diverse for employment opportunities and is full of kiddies).

Last edited by dmguy30; 11-05-2007 at 02:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 05:52 AM

204 posts, read 1,013,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmguy30 View Post
Using your statistics, Johnson County had 41847 people vote for Kerry in 2004. Polk County had 105218 Kerry voters. Johnson County might top Polk County on per capita percentage, but by actual numbers, Des Moines would be where you would find the most "liberals" in one county in Iowa.

I don't mind Iowa City at all, but it's a university town--so I don't have any desire to live there (as it's not very diverse for employment opportunities and is full of kiddies).
And Polk County would be where you would find more "conservatives" in one county in Iowa. Once again, the quantity aspect of such an argument doesn't help your cause when the big picture comes into focus.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:39 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,262,617 times
[quote=mfrerkes;1914035]This tiresome "envy" label is becoming a boilerplate response every time somebody here points out the obvious. The issue isn't merely tabulated by which city in Iowa has the biggest gay population (as if that made-up statistic is even verifiable in the first place!) If you are going to base every single issue solely on quantity, then there's really no point to having a well-cultivated discussion.
quote]

If you want to talk about tiresome....

The guy said he liked Des Moines better because it's bigger and there's more job opportunities. That's it.... and you fly off the handle.

I think you only get defensive about the envy comments because it's true.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 AM

638 posts, read 974,669 times
I'm not sure how Iowa views transgenders overall but I've always thought of the state's politics as pretty split. An example would be that Al Gore (democrat) won in Iowa at the 2000 election but George Bush (republican) won in Iowa at the 2004 election. It kind of shifts back and forth so I stand by my statement that it is split politically.

Also, most of the liberal parts of Iowa tend to be in the eastern part of the state (which is more blue collar) while the western part of the state (small rural farming communities) is very conservative. Central Iowa is pretty split.

Des Moines is far from being San Fran but it is not overall conservative (though that may change as the suburbs continue to grow). In Iowa the liberals are usually more "working class" while Iowa City is more "flaming" liberal (relatively similar to San Fran). I would think that Iowa City would be the best fit for you. But if you're happy in SW Iowa, that's good too.

P.S. RonnieJonez is it possible for you to give your opinion on Iowa without doing a Des Moines/Iowa City comparison? I also find it ironic how all you ever do is make fun of Des Moines and hardly say anything at all about Iowa City.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:16 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,757,439 times
Iowa City doesn't even know Des Moines exists, at least that is what I gathered from living there.

Des Moines on the other hand is always trying to say it is the "real" liberal stronghold in Iowa, again, people probably fall for it. Like mfrerkes said, a new 10 story building there just wouldn't get the same press + amazement it would in Des Moines. Iowa City is not delusional about itself..

Old 11-05-2007, 11:39 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,262,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Des Moines on the other hand is always trying to say it is the "real" liberal stronghold in Iowa, again, people probably fall for it. ..

Prove it. I've never, ever heard anyone say that Des Moines is the "real" liberal stronghold in Iowa.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:40 AM

638 posts, read 974,669 times
You could probably live in any other city similar to Des Moines (like Omaha, Wichita, etc.) and you would still think that most people there are "ridiculous". In fact, you said yourself that Chicago and Minneapolis are the only two Midwest cities that "don't go the way of the dinosaur".

And I (a Des Moines native) have no problem admitting that Iowa City is the San Fran of Iowa. In fact, if you reread my previous post you will see that I gave the edge to Iowa City. But don't assume that everyone wants "nightlife" because that is about all you ever mention about IC. There are plenty of things DM has that IC may never have but I would rather wait for DSMGuy to list those things for me.

After reading a lot of your posts (not only on City-Data but on other websites as well) you have developed this obsession with putting down cities for portraying themselves as more important than they really are. You get yourself banned from a few boards and assume that because of somethings that the forumers there have said must be true about their whole city.

If you really think anyone takes you seriously when you say that DM thinks it's NYC then you are SORELY mistaken. LOL

Old 11-05-2007, 12:36 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,757,439 times
Obviously it doesn't think it's really NYC, but it does like to portray itself like it's really not too far off from being in that category. I'm not the first and sure won't be the last to say that. It's actually a big inside joke among anyone who ended up in DSM from a bigger city. I actually think DSM is overall nice and well-kept compared to many other places, but some things about it are just too odd, the civic pride there is unnaturally profound to the point where you have to think like the majority or risk being hated.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:49 PM

204 posts, read 1,013,232 times
[quote=El Rhino;1915947I think you only get defensive about the envy comments because it's true.[/quote]
That is such a non-sequitur comment, it doesn't even justify a response, but sadly it has become the old stand-by argument everytime somebody expresses dissent towards a pro-Des Moines post.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:54 PM

884 posts, read 1,035,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Obviously it doesn't think it's really NYC, but it does like to portray itself like it's really not too far off from being in that category. I'm not the first and sure won't be the last to say that. It's actually a big inside joke among anyone who ended up in DSM from a bigger city. I actually think DSM is overall nice and well-kept compared to many other places, but some things about it are just too odd, the civic pride there is unnaturally profound to the point where you have to think like the majority or risk being hated.
You mean to tell me Des Moines isn't NYC? Ronald, that is mind blowing. I'm glad you and all the other big city ballas' in DSM know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa