Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 14,589 times

Advertisements

If you really do mean small, check out north central or northwestern Iowa. I prefer the northcentral part. Most towns are very small. Property values are also quite low. There are a couple ethonol plants and a biodiesel plant going up. I have also seen ads for hog farms needing help. (not looking for work so don't pay much attention)

Grab a map

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/unite...es/iowa_90.jpg

Pick some areas away from large towns. Try Kossuth, Emmet, Palo Alto, Winnebago, Hancock, and Humboldt

Search Job Openings

https://www1.iowajobs.org/jobs/seeke...ch/search.seek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 12:23 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,716,521 times
My sister left Colorado (oh my god, what's wrong with you, is the typical reaction) to settle in Vinton. She really likes it--they have a reasonable city tax or fee that covers a pool, rec center, etc, and it's driving distance to Cedar Rapids and everywhere is within walking or biking distance in town.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:45 PM

36 posts, read 188,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Not Found

The requested URL /forum was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
I'm not very good with this linking stuff. I'll try again.

HeyIowa.com

Old 09-30-2007, 02:14 PM

209 posts, read 1,089,185 times
I'd recommend

Dubuque County; Peosta, 1100, Epworth, 1600, Farley, 1700, Dyersville, 4,050, Holy Cross, 400, Luxemburg, 300, and Dyersville being the largest with a little more than 4,000. All are towns with a lot of character and a lot of friendly people.

Jackson County; ESPECIALLY Bellevue, a little town on the Mississippi that is very small, friendly, quiet, scenic, and is the typical midwestern small town. The population is 2200. Sabula, 700, St. Donatus, 175, Andrew, 300, La Motte, 200, Zwingle, 95, and Maquoketa 6,500 are all nice choices as well.

Clayton County: Just north of Dubuque, has a certain charm about it. It is very scenic, probably the most scenic in Iowa along with Allamakee, Winnishiek, Jackson, and Dubuque. Little towns like Volga, Edgewood/Colesburg (partially in Delaware County,) Strawberry Point, and Elkader, Guttenberg, the list goes on and on, all are under 2,000 population, the largest of them being Guttenberg, 1900.

Western Iowa Counties, and central Iowa, especially Dallas County, Story County, and other cities like Lamoni, and Burlington, and LeMars, and Adel are all very good choices too.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:51 AM

54 posts, read 306,906 times
How could I forget Bellevue!

It may sway my opinion, but I like the old-time Downtown up against the Railroad Tracks thing going on there. Not a very busy line, but 2 or 3 times a day a train goes rolling through downtown Bellevue. Not embedded in the street, the tracks are separated from the concrete.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 13,440 times
Check out Kalona. Small town living, close to Iowa City where the contruction business is busy year around. Plus the town is full of charm, with the Amish community, the antique shops and my favorite... the cheese factory. I'd move there if I was looking to move

Old 11-10-2007, 07:21 AM

4 posts, read 33,149 times
In southern Iowa if you really are looking for a small town atmosphere: try Albia, Bloomfeld, Melrose, Chariton or Bloomfield.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:40 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
Eldora!!! (home of pine lake state park!)

Old 11-25-2007, 04:30 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,377 times
Two words: NE Iowa- Cresco is there- good choice!

Last edited by summer grace; 11-25-2007 at 04:52 PM..

Old 11-29-2007, 01:51 AM

18 posts, read 86,862 times
In terms of construction, Eddyville may be a great bet for you... It's a very small town in between Ottumwa and Oskaloosa (in the S/SE part of the state), and about 1:30hr from Des Moines - a straight shot up 163, 4 lane all the way. Cargill is the BIG employer in town and has a 10-year project starting this spring (was supposed to start in winter, but got pushed back), plus the latest (or maybe just recycled) news is that Pepsi is getting ready to start their big construction build spring/summer across from the Cargill plant. Eddyville has a ton of contract companies that work out at the plant, or you could try to get on with Cargill themselves (who, by the way, just happen to be the largest privately owned company in the United States). Housing in the area is cheap, schools are well-known (in a good way!), everybody knows everybody, good people. Do a search for Eddyville and I've put some other info in other posts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa