U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 04:32 PM

116 posts, read 342,745 times

Advertisements

Would you move from Illinois to Iowa?
Would you move from Iowa to Illinois?
Why?

POLL
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 PM

586 posts, read 1,997,554 times
I would choose Illinois. They don't have any towns that play annoying bell music in their downtowns for 20 minutes a day.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,560,089 times
As it is now, I wouldn't move to Illinois. If the state were to give Chicago to Canada I would consider it as a remote possibility.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
As it is now, I wouldn't move to Illinois. If the state were to give Chicago to Canada I would consider it as a remote possibility.
Whats wrong with Canada? Their government doesn't allow poisoning food with additives like pink slime to all food without proper labels.

Also your food in the US can contain trans fats, but the label will say 0G per serving because its <0.5g per serving (it can be only 0.4 but eat more and it adds up). In Canada, if a food contains 0.2 it must list it. Their labeling is more accurate.

Its common to hear people about separating Chicago from the rest of state. Or NYC and Long Island from Upstate New York. But thats why we have counties and local governments for things like taxes or maintaining roads.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,560,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_blguy87 View Post
Whats wrong with Canada?
I didn't say anything was wrong with Canada. I am saying Chicago is something that is wrong with Illinois. My opinion, for what it is worth....

Quote:
Its common to hear people about separating Chicago from the rest of state. Or NYC and Long Island from Upstate New York. But thats why we have counties and local governments for things like taxes or maintaining roads.
Chicago has too strong of an influence on the rest of the state to avoid it by moving to another county.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 PM

nothing wrong with Chicago, except their politicians.

Iowa does not have much better politicians either. Governor of Iowa Branstad, supported At&t-T-Mobile merger, that if approved would lead to too high market concentration, increase in prices and less innovation, quality in service.

Owning car in Iowa is more expensive in registration fees than Illinois. I don't like they calculate registration fee based on 1% of price list, and there is no reduction until car is at least over 10 years old then it drops to 0.75x value of car.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:53 AM

9,243 posts, read 17,644,678 times
Quote:
Owning car in Iowa is more expensive in registration fees than Illinois. I don't like they calculate registration fee based on 1% of price list, and there is no reduction until car is at least over 10 years old then it drops to 0.75x value of car.
I think the exposure to the oppressive piped-in music is affecting your ability to pay attention.

It's 7 years, not 10. Year 8 and 9 it's .75%, year 10 and 11 .50%. After that it's a flat fee of $50 a year.

Illinois is $99 a year for a car or light truck regardless of age.

My vehicles are 22 and 16 years old, so Iowa's fee schedule works out better for me.

I spent the first 38 years of my life in downstate Illinois. As far as day-to-day living I saw no difference. Iowa is a right to work state, which I prefer because I think forcing a qualified employee to join a union is immoral, unconstitutional, and regressive.

The only thing I didn't like about Illinois is that Chicago would always carry any statewide vote. No point going to the polls if you disagree with the Cook County voters.

Oh, and most of us downstate hicks knew that Blago was a crook the first time we saw him. I'm hardly a Branstad fan (voted for Narcisse), but I'll take lame over crooked any day.

To answer the question: I already moved from Illinois to Iowa sith no regrets. If I were offered a great job in downstate Illinois in a nice area with good schools I wouldn't hesitate to move back. It really makes no difference to me.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:56 AM

9,243 posts, read 17,644,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
I would choose Illinois. They don't have any towns that play annoying bell music in their downtowns for 20 minutes a day.
This is inaccurate. My hometown had chimes in the courthouse tower that played music at regular intervals.

I guess I don't remember if it was 20 minutes, though, so maybe it's not as bad as Iowa after all.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 AM

162 posts, read 279,320 times
Quote:
Whats wrong with Canada? Their government doesn't allow poisoning food with additives like pink slime to all food without proper labels.

Also your food in the US can contain trans fats, but the label will say 0G per serving because its <0.5g per serving (it can be only 0.4 but eat more and it adds up). In Canada, if a food contains 0.2 it must list it. Their labeling is more accurate.

It's not an addictive. It's meat. Just meat that used to be left on the bone mixed in with the rest of the meat that's all it is. What do you think it is? All it is is thick meat that's been shred and mixed with the meat.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:06 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,351,143 times
Really not that different, excluding Chicago.

Always the top two corn-producing states in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa