Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 14,381 times

Advertisements

I am asking if anyone has had personal experience with their pet being taken from their property or lost and never found. I ask this because we recently lost our beautiful purebred from our farm in rural southern Iowa (watching our turkeys during chorin' time and then poof he's gone) and as we pass out flyers, calls shelters, vets etc. we are surprised at the number of stories in common:

1) They or someone they know have personally had a dog up and disappear within the last few months right off their property, some leaving behind puppies so you know it's not a dog roaming off bc a mom doesn't leave her pups (St. Charles, Truro, Murray)
2) There was a TV news piece done about dogs being taken from outer-lying Winterset homes last year and some suspect they are at it again bc dogs in the area are disappearing again. (Winterset)
3) A white van usually appears days or a week before a dog goes missing (St. Charles)
4) Most a larger breed dogs like Pyrenese, labs etc. - our Bernese is not a usual breed/look to the area so he would stand out. (St. Charles, Truro, Murray)
5) Dogs have been taken for a dog fighting ring up in Ankeny (Truro and Murray)

I would like if anyone has a list of dog auction places so I can post my dog's flyer with them should he show up. They might not do anything about it if he shows up, but if they sell him after being notified we can go after them for a stolen dog and that would hinder future nappings if a person knew someone was reporting it.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by OuttaDBox; 05-21-2012 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 12:19 PM

221 posts, read 1,193,946 times
I hadn't heard of this, but have heard for many years that northern Missouri is a place where there are many puppy mills. I also do know that the dog fighting people will take kittens which people advertise in good faith as "free to a good home", then use the kittens as bait for the fighting dogs. When I lived in NE Arkansas a dog fighting ring in Missouri was doing this, and the Tulsa newspaper wrote an expose about it.

It might be worth calling various rescue groups in northern Missouri to find out if they know of any areas you should cruise around to look for stolen dogs/cats.

Best of luck to you and the others who've lost their pets.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 10,544 times
Report any suspicious activity to the law enforcement in your area or the Animal Rescue League. Any news of dog fighting must be reported! Where in Ankeny could this be at?

Old 05-26-2012, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 10,544 times
[url=http://www.swkennelauction.com/index_files/auctions.htm]Auctions[/url]

For one source of upcoming dog auctions in the midwest.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,130 times
I have heard of lots of dogs that have been stolen. But not for dog fights. The dogs in our area have been taken from people that don't deserve them. These owners had been reported for not having adequate shelter,water,food or just poorly treated. But i haven't heard of any dogs treated properly being stolen. About 8 years ago people had to lock up their pets. Because they were being stolen for the fighting ring. The police in our area are too lazy to do any real police work. So our town put people on the streets. They acted Luke small town drunks. They caught them trying to steal puppies. Not a thing happened officially. But you know how a small town of animals dealt justice. They want do it in our area again.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 7,368 times
A lot of people in the Clarke County area don't keep their dogs on leashes or fenced properly. My spouse and I have had numerous dogs follow us home, or chase after us while we're out running. We've called the police to come pick up dogs that have followed us for miles, or have called their owners when a number is listed on their collars. Some people might have their dogs stolen, but some of the missing dogs might be due to negligence on the owners part.

On a side note: I really don't care how friendly someone says a dog is, the last thing I want when I'm on a run is a dog, big or small, coming after me. Granted, I do enjoy a dog's company on a run, but I don't carry a leash with me to take care of the dogs that follow me along the way.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:04 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
This a great organization that is always fighting against puppy mills and the like. They work hard for legistaion and , for instance, I have been involved in protesting an WDM pet shop for selling puppy mill dogs. That store is now closed.

Iowa Voters for Companion Animals - No More Iowa Puppy Miills!

To the OP, sorry about your dog.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:15 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,982,518 times
As a general rule if you don't let your dog run loose this shouldn't be a problem. I live in the country but when my dogs go out they are in their privacy fenced area or on a leash. I know where they are all the time. Some moron down the road let his old Beagle run and now the poor thing has only 3 legs. I've taken dogs back to people that I've nearly run over. The sad thing is they will be out in the road again and may not be so lucky next time. There are many dangers about, like kids, dogs require a lot of supervision.

Excellent link, ElleTea. Thanks. The sad thing is some of these puppy mills are USDA approved though they are crap holes. I rescued several Beagles from one puppy mill near Iowa City a few years ago. It was -18 real temp that day and the dogs were out in a chain link fenced area, with just plastic over it, and no place for them to get warm. And this was an approved place? Sickening it was. And the old fool was giving them away free, as he was starting up with another breed. He didnt care where they went or to who. He should have been in jail or worse.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:35 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
As a general rule if you don't let your dog run loose this shouldn't be a problem. I live in the country but when my dogs go out they are in their privacy fenced area or on a leash. I know where they are all the time. Some moron down the road let his old Beagle run and now the poor thing has only 3 legs. I've taken dogs back to people that I've nearly run over. The sad thing is they will be out in the road again and may not be so lucky next time. There are many dangers about, like kids, dogs require a lot of supervision.

Excellent link, ElleTea. Thanks. The sad thing is some of these puppy mills are USDA approved though they are crap holes. I rescued several Beagles from one puppy mill near Iowa City a few years ago. It was -18 real temp that day and the dogs were out in a chain link fenced area, with just plastic over it, and no place for them to get warm. And this was an approved place? Sickening it was. And the old fool was giving them away free, as he was starting up with another breed. He didnt care where they went or to who. He should have been in jail or worse.
Thats part of the fight...changing the laws so puppy mills require more inspections and stiffer punishments for those who don't follow the laws, as well as changing the laws defining what a puppy mill is.

One of my dogs came from Craig's List. Some Google searching later told me the person I got him from was involved in Puppy Mills. I am sure now the story she told me about my dog was BS; many use private homes as a front to adopt out dogs. My guy was shy and afraid when I first got him. Now hes happy and silly and sweet.

As for dogs being taken; some of the news stories I have seen have been about dogs being taken from fenced in yards

Old 07-15-2012, 08:59 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,982,518 times
Ya, changing the laws, I'm for that. Security cameras are pretty cheap these days, I also like the things they have that alert ya when someone enters a driveway or gate. Thefts do occur, but taking precautions and using common sense does help. I've taken in strays for more than 25 years, I've seen a lot in that time. We still have a long ways to go in regards to animal welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa