Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 01:12 AM

34 posts, read 106,913 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm considering moving from a small town of a little over 4,000 people near Springfield, Missouri to Glenwood, IA. I've just applied for a retail management position in the area.

I'm a single male, 26 years old. How much would rent be for a one bedroom apartment in Glenwood and are they available? I prefer well kept and clean over size. Are other living expenses reasonable? What type of salary should I expect in Glenwood to be able to live on?

It looks like a nice town. For a such a nice, small, self-sufficient town it's also within reasonable distance to Omaha and Council Bluffs. It looks like the University of Nebraska at Omaha would be the best place to go to continue my education. Are there any other colleges nearby that are reasonable? I think my education is past being able to utilize community colleges.

I'm the kind of guy who likes to get involved in my community. I support small, local businesses. I'm familiar with mainline (oldline) Protestant churches, and the Congregational UCC church in Glenwood looks like a good choice. I like historic neighborhoods. I'm also familiar with agriculture, as I grew up on a farm about 30-40 miles east of Kansas City. Glenwood looks like a town where I'll easily find my place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 06:43 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
We have been researching Glenwood and Council Bluffs also - one of my kids is considering Iowa Western Community College.

I'd like to know why the crime rate in nearby Council Bluffs is so sky high?

Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
From looking at the Glenwood paper, I see a 1 bedroom in the area for 425, and a 2 bedroom for 575. If you are interested in getting involved in the community, I would contact the chamber of commerce and the local churches you mentioned. They may know of other rentals in the area.

Iowa Western and Metro Tech in Omaha would both be worth checking out. Actually crime is down some in CB, but certainly much higher than one would think. It has had a spotty reputation for as long as I can remember. There are some nice areas and like any place using common sense and being aware of the area and the people around you lessen ones chances of being a victim. Good luck with your move.

Opinion-Tribune.com
Glenwood Iowa Area Chamber of Commerce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: