Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:40 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times

Advertisements

Is the topography/terrain pretty much the same throughout Iowa? Or are some parts of the state more farmland/cornfields and others more green with trees/hills, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 08:46 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
"The rolling hills of Iowa."

Most people assume that Iowa is flat. But it's extremely hilly. The farm fields just go with the flow. There is a ton of farmland of course, but it's not just flat and dry like you might think in Nebraska or Kansas. Iowa has tons of trees as well. It's a very green state.

As for all throughout...hopefully others can advise but every part of Iowa I've traveled through has been like that.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:25 AM

100 posts, read 534,388 times
Dubuque is very different from other parts of the state in that it has many steep (San-Francisco-type) hills and valleys. There is also a "wall" of 200 foot-high bluffs along the Mississippi River. The city's downtown sits below the bluffs on a large, flat plain, and most neighborhoods are on top of the bluffs. There are a dozen or more ravines that connect the two areas. The hills are unusual for Iowa and the Midwest, but most locals don't notice them, and many of them have excellent views of the river or the downtown.
The city is very "green" and even has large areas of forest (mostly in the ravines) that seperate out the neighborhoods.

As a general rule, the further west one goes in Iowa (but even in Dubuque County), the flatter the land will be, and the fewer trees you'll encounter.

(P.S.: As an example of how steep some of Dubuque's terrain is, there are 2 ski resorts in the area, one is Sundown Mountain just west of the city, and the other is Chestnut Mountain Resort in neighboring Jo Daviess County, Illinois).

Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 AM

35 posts, read 122,636 times
Default falcon271

Iowa has many different terrains. NE Iowa, especially Decorah I believe is the most beautiful part of the state. Most of Iowa has gentle rolling hills, but I have been to SE Iowa around Mt. Pleasant and that is pretty flat. The Loess (sp) Hills area (W,SW) has lots of hills and a pleasant view while driving. If you want to drive through flat farm lands, drive through Nebraska and Kansas. I think Kansas is the flattest that I have ever seen. Iowa is a great place to live IF you can find a decent paying job. I'm looking for a move myself. I have been here since 1971. Time for a change.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:08 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
To be disgustingly general, Eastern Iowa has alot of lovely hills, some bluffs, et. cetera. Western Iowa is flat and more featureless.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
western iowa

Old 09-27-2007, 06:38 PM

638 posts, read 974,347 times
Ah, the Loess Hills.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:48 PM

39 posts, read 167,237 times
While Iowa's topography is basically Midwestern (no large bodies of water, no mountains, deserts, etc), there really is some diversity. Northwestern Iowa is flat.....probably the flatest prairie I've ever seen. Excellent farmland is found there and unless you count those along rivers and other streams, there aren't any trees older than 100 or so years of age.

Central and southern Iowa (highway 30 is an approximate dividing line) consists mostly of rolling hills interspersed with flatter farmland. This time of year, it is realy beautiful as the leaves are turing.

Northeast Iowa (the only part I'v never really visited supposedl very hilly with lots of caves etc. along the Mississipi.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:16 AM

26,410 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon271 View Post
Iowa has many different terrains. NE Iowa, especially Decorah I believe is the most beautiful part of the state. Most of Iowa has gentle rolling hills, but I have been to SE Iowa around Mt. Pleasant and that is pretty flat. The Loess (sp) Hills area (W,SW) has lots of hills and a pleasant view while driving. If you want to drive through flat farm lands, drive through Nebraska and Kansas. I think Kansas is the flattest that I have ever seen. Iowa is a great place to live IF you can find a decent paying job. I'm looking for a move myself. I have been here since 1971. Time for a change.
Kansas has the Flint Hills. Visit the Konza Prairie Preserve south of Manhattan, KS!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:05 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Talking Kansas!!!

THANK YOU Plains10!!!
WHY do people think Kansas is flat?
IGNORANCE!!!!!!!!!
It's got THE FLINT HILLS AND THE RED HILLS !!!!!!!! (Also The Chautauqua Hills & The Smoky Hills but I haven't been to those...)
Open your eyes and your minds people!!!
FLORIDA is FLAT!!!!!!!!!!
KANSAS is NOT!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: