Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 PM

389 posts, read 920,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Subway is crap, IMO. And they support Michael Vick, so I haven't been to one in over 2 years...and I'm not missing a thing. I'd choose a local sandwich shop or even Quizons over the nasty bread and low-grade veggies Subway sells.
Before you say, you'd choose a local sandwich shop, visit Dubuque someday, Supreme Subs, Pickle Barrel Subs. And then you can tell their bread is better than Subway's Lmao. If you go to Subway inside Walmart of course it tastes c**ap. Subway is franchise and its prices and quality, even choices vary from location to location. For example, you can get Veggie Pattie in large city like Chicago or suburbs, but you won't see it in small town like Dubuque where there are not enough vegetarians. Quzznos is overpriced. The issue is here not what restaurant is good or bad. Democrats at dubuque should let the free market run and not intervene. Even if it means local sandwich shops fold up when Subway moves in to downtown, so be it. Let Subway be a natural monopoly in Dubuque. Let sandwich shops compete, and lower prices and/or improve selections. It does not benefit local businesses but benefits citizens and thats important. Subway is in Dubuque, but for now its only on west side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,358 times
Hey yall, so I moved to DBQ about a month ago from central Florida to work for Deere. Quite a big change. I've found most people to be friendly here, but you'll find friendly and unfriendly people wherever you go.

So far, I think Dubuque is an okay town. Certainly not as much to do as in Central Florida, but then I didn't expect there to be. So far my main complaint has been watching cops set up speed traps across the town. Coming from Florida, where everyone speeds 10+ over, it's been a big change to driving habits to keep it at +5.

Hopefully I find that Mayhem's wrong about meeting girls in the city... we shall see. Are there any good places to meet young people or hang out, etc?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:06 AM

91 posts, read 119,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstate95 View Post

Hopefully I find that Mayhem's wrong about meeting girls in the city... we shall see. Are there any good places to meet young people or hang out, etc?

Dubuque county fair still going on today and sunday

Old 08-05-2012, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
- order shushi
Given that there are 3 restaurants in town that serve sushi (one only on Fridays though) I wonder how long you stayed. Just enough to hate the place?

Old 08-05-2012, 08:09 PM

32 posts, read 75,393 times
I have to say: I came to this thread curious about what looks to be a nice beautiful smaller city. I still have that opinion, but it's been pretty entertaining to watch the hilarity that is mayhem.

I hate Subway. I work next to one in Topeka and I detest going there. Their bread sucks, and their full meals are every bit as expensive as Quiznos. I decided to go to Quiznos last week a couple of blocks away and was very glad I did. The quality difference was astounding. However this is such a small point that it doesn't really matter to me whether or not there's a sandwich shop. I can buy bread and meat and make my own.

Small town life is NICE for people who LIKE small town life. I think you just enjoy trying to prove to people that that is somehow bad. For you, it might be however I LIKE being disconnected from big cities and all of the BS that goes with being near them and/or living in them. That argument almost makes ME want to go there MORE, not less.

Anyway, I still really liked the pictures from the first page. Is Asbury essentially a connected suburb? It looks that way on a map. I like the idea of living in a smaller town, and if I need the city I can drive to it.. I'm from Northern Minnesota originally and I'm used to Duluth being a little over an hour away and the Twin Cities being over 3 hours away. I liked it. Of course 57k isn't "small" either.

any kind of night life there? music? bands?

Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 PM

31 posts, read 83,043 times
There's some colleges in Dubuque that have some pretty women. YMCA by highway 20 has a pool, gym and weight room; however, they close at 9:00 pm or 10:00 pm after labor day I thought. There's a National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium, Ravie. Nightlife, there's some lounges and bars downtown. I lived in Dubuque for four years. The west end of Dubuque or Ashbury I think it is, is growing quite rapidly with development. The teams you get in Dubuque are brewers, cubs, bulls, bears, and hawkeyes'. Don't like those teams? Best to invest in a satellite dish. The thing I didn't like about Dubuque is how they designed portions of the town, how some stop lights are virtually within a few feet of each other. Dubuque is not a bad town at all it's just old.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:26 PM

12 posts, read 21,290 times
We moved to Dubuque 11 years ago when my husband accepted a transfer here. It's rather scenic and does not have a lot of crime, plus the traffic is very light. I really like the historical feel of the place. Some of the parks here are just lovely. There are a lot of Catholics here (we're Catholic ourselves), but the politics tend to be more liberal than most other parts of Iowa. There are plenty of Protestant churches, a small Synagogue and also some Muslims in town. No Pagan community to speak of.

The downside is that it is VERY DIFFICULT to make friends here, especially if you don't have kids. We've had a couple of gay friends move out of town because of the way they were treated, and there is some racism (I'm from the South originally, and never saw such overt racism until I moved here.)

But the City has really transformed during our time here. There are things to do in town, but obviously it'll be on a smaller scale than in a larger city. If you are more of a homebody or family-oriented person, you may fit in well here. There are a lot of family-oriented things to do and it's pretty safe. I wouldn't move here if I was single, though.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 9,883 times
Hi,

I just received a job offer with IBM and will be relocating to Dubuque, IA from Colorado! If you had to describe the city and different surrounding areas, how would you 'generalize' the areas? Old? New? Close to shopping? Fresh? "Bad part of town" etc...

Where are cheaper homes, but yet great neighborhoods? What are the commutes in these locations?

I am also very interested to know more about how you characterize the "work scenario" at IBM Dubuque. Do they have a gym? Do managers care about career development? Are you Level1 or Level3? How is the parking? Cafeteria?

Old 09-11-2012, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 9,883 times
What city do you live in?

Old 02-28-2013, 06:24 AM

246 posts, read 498,302 times
Default I'm a little late to the conversation, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
But I think the biggest issue is not whats in Dubuque, but how far it is isolated from other population centres but not big enough to substitute on its own. It takes at least 1.5 h to drive to Madison or 1 hour to Davenport, 4 hours to Chicago.
What difference do you think AMTRAK will make when it starts up next year? As an older person approaching retirement, and as someone who has never been to Dubuque, I would consider having a second home there knowing that the cultural/entertainment amenities of Chicago are just a short train ride away.

I currently live in the Los Angeles area, and my wife has no desire to re-locate, but I'd like to find a vacation home in a city somewhere that has the seasons and a reasonable amount of sophistication (e.g., colleges/universities, local theatre groups, sporting events, etc) to retreat to when the hustle and bustle of big-city life gets to be too much. Plus, because I wouldn't want to own a vehicle (maybe rent one when I needed it), the convenience of train travel is pleasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa