Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 02:16 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,984,986 times

Advertisements

I am from Illinois currently living in Iowa and I haven't noticed anything much out of the ordinary as far as the original posters topic goes. The only thing I have really noticed in and around Iowa City and close surrounding smaller cities is the use of "Hawkeye" for a business name. In my opinion it is used often but again that could just be my perception. Overall I like living in Iowa but look forward to the day I can head back home to Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 05:09 PM

10,243 posts, read 13,754,516 times
@Stavemaster, I don't think I'd want to claim a shooter as being from my state at all.

@Chicago60614, I actually haven't noticed that in Wyoming. People here like where they live but they don't seem to mention their state as often as what I seem to notice in Iowa. I lived in Montana for a lot of years and while Montanans didn't seem to mention their state name is often, it is certainly overly romanticized by the locals.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,422,498 times
My goodness, I wonder if that could be because Wyoming and Iowa aren't comparable at all.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 PM

10,243 posts, read 13,754,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
My goodness, I wonder if that could be because Wyoming and Iowa aren't comparable at all.
What are you talking about? That has nothing to do with this conversation.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,505,988 times
Same crap in a different forum. Blah, blah, blah. If you hate Iowa so much (see, I worked in for you) then go post in the forum for your own state. We have no need of your out-of-state whiny input.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,163,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
First of all, please don't take offense to this. I have no ill will toward anyone in Iowa as most of my extended family is there. So here goes.

I've noticed that people in Iowa are very proud of their state. Of course this is not unusual, but what I find unusual is that people in Iowa have to say and write the name of their state constantly. It seems that almost everyone I know who lives in Iowa has to mention the name of their state several times in conversation. I've also noticed that there are lots of businesses in different parts of the state that have the name Iowa in them somehow. This isn't meant to be a slam, it's just an interesting observation I've noticed. How many others have noticed this?
Interesting. I guess I never noticed people in Iowa to mention the name of the state several times in conversation. A lot of Iowans that I know seem to enjoy talking about their vacations to warmer places, such as Hawaii, Las Vegas, Florida, San Diego, overseas, ... or a weekend getaway to Chicago. Others I have noticed like to mention Minnesota or Canada, especially those who like to hunt, fish, or camp. This is just my own personal experience from living in Iowa the past 18 years.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 PM

659 posts, read 1,097,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
That's totally not an Iowa thing - everyone does that. I'm always laughing every time something comes up and the local news in Chicago puts in their "Chicago connection". With 10 million people OF COURSE THERE'S A LOCAL CONNECTION to most things. They do it all the time. It's just something they'll say in almost any city in every state. They have to try to pull you in with a "local connection" somehow.
You're right of course, I guess I just notice it more with the DMR because that's the only local news source I read with any regularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
@Stavemaster, I don't think I'd want to claim a shooter as being from my state at all.
I wouldn't either, but I suppose that's just one more reason why I'm not on the editorial board of the DMR.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:48 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,738,902 times
I put it in my C-D user name because Greg was already taken.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:09 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,569,399 times
In the Quad Cities a lot of businesses are called QCA this or Quad City that. A lot of businesses have Hawkeye and Iowa in the name too.

But people saying and writing that they're from Iowa constantly isn't something I've ever experienced.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:00 PM

36 posts, read 113,001 times
Well getting beat up outside of my dorm at the University of Minnesota for being a Hawkeye fan kind of boosted my state pride ridiculously. Since we get so much crap from all the surrounding states everyone here feels the need to defend Iowa. Even tho we don't have any sports teams or big cities at least our economies and politics are better than most other Midwestern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa