U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,276 times

Advertisements

I am being considered for a position near Harlan which would require relocation. I have custody of a black well behaved teenage boy. Since this is a small town, what if anything will this child encounter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 10:16 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,528,221 times
I spent most of my teen years in Harlan and still have a brother who lives there and a sister who farms not far from there. It's a nice town, but since I haven't lived there for several decades I can't honestly say. I do know there are very few blacks in town, if any, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be embraced by the students. Hopefully someone else can give you a better idea of how it would work out for him. Good luck!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I spent most of my teen years in Harlan and still have a brother who lives there and a sister who farms not far from there. It's a nice town, but since I haven't lived there for several decades I can't honestly say. I do know there are very few blacks in town, if any, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be embraced by the students. Hopefully someone else can give you a better idea of how it would work out for him. Good luck!
WyoNewk: Thank you for the reply... I love Iowa and once lived in Des Moines in the 70's. Unfortuantely there are harsh and closed minded people in all backgrounds and age groups. I respect this and understand the upbringing or misfortunes that may have lead them there. This does NOT affect me being opened minded nor respectful toward people. Everyone is entitled.

My child has endured a rough beginning from his natural mother, so I am protective. He is very quiet and passive, has never argued nor fought, loves people and contributing to help people and animals. I'm proud of him.. Living in Omaha is difficult for a child like him, there is so much violence now that this teenager who should be being a teenager chooses to stay home... I would love a small community - as I am orginally from a small providence in Canada. Maybe in one he can relax.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:07 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,528,221 times
Harlan Community High School is a "consolidated" school with students from several smaller towns near Harlan, so it has a very rural student body. It's nearly twice the size that it was when I was a student there 50 years ago (525 vs. 320), but I think most of that increase is from the consolidation rather than from an increase in Harlan's population. (Harlan itself has grown about 20 percent since then.)

I'd say Harlan is a very safe town to grow up in, even today, but unfortunately you never know for sure about kids and prejudices. My guess is that he'd do best to get involved in school activities of one kind or another to be accepted and form friendships. I believe Harlan is known throughout the state as being strong in athletics and band, so if your son has an interest/gift in something along those lines it would help. I have a niece who transferred to Harlan several years ago for their band program. She's now a successful musician in NYC and travels much of the world performing.

Smaller high schools like Harlan's don't offer the variety that larger schools do, but they can still provide a good foundation for higher learning.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:40 PM

3,794 posts, read 5,138,249 times
Sports wise, no school in the state of Iowa has a stronger football tradition than Harlan. If he has athletic abilities, it's instant acceptance.

Outside of sports, the fact that Harlan is close to a major city such as Omaha is a plus. My son teaches in a town just outside of Omaha/Council Bluffs and there are quite a few black kids in the school, I'm sure primarily because of the closer connection to Omaha. It's not even a topic of conversation with him, which to me states that they fit in quite well.

Though I have little direct connection to Harlan, I've been through it many times and it seems like a really nice community.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:35 AM

2,728 posts, read 4,673,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedMom12 View Post
I am being considered for a position near Harlan which would require relocation. I have custody of a black well behaved teenage boy. Since this is a small town, what if anything will this child encounter.
It's possible that he will encounter some racial stupidity, but I'd doubt much would come of it. Most rural Americans have become very accustomed to people of all shades and colors. Omaha (very mult-cultural) is just over half-hour away from Harlan, and Denison (HIGHLY hispanic) is very close as well.

I'd think the greater challenge would be if you are relocating to a rural area from an urban area. That will be a much more difficult transition than anything racial/cultural.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:49 PM

Big George thank you for your comments,. I have found the sight very helpful. I have accepted the position and I begin tomorrow and looking forward to relocating within the month.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:51 PM

JMGG

Thank you also , everyone here has been a source of ease for me., Your assistance is truely helpful.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 AM

5,239 posts, read 7,098,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedMom12 View Post
JMGG

Thank you also , everyone here has been a source of ease for me., Your assistance is truely helpful.
You're very welcome. Congrats on the new position, ConcernedMom12. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. Best of Luck to you and your son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa