Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:28 AM

8 posts, read 35,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowachick View Post
I'd pick neither....both towns have a high amount of illegal immigrants and both are poor towns with a high population of spanish-only speaking people. Try the quad cities, which is about 40minutes east...more opportunity, better schools and better housing.
I disagree. I live in Muscatine and there are no more illegal immigrants here than there are anywhere else in Iowa! And what's wrong with "spanish-only speaking people"? And what do you mean by "poor"? Muscatine is home to more Fortune 500 companies than any other town in Iowa! Get you facts straight before posting, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 03:35 PM

100 posts, read 534,388 times
I live in Dubuque. There is really strong job growth here. We had the 22nd-fastest growing economy in the country last year! The crime is very low, and the schools are good. Muscatine may not be doing as well though.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:35 PM

36 posts, read 188,070 times
To get a good perspective from Iowans in the smaller cities you might want to talk to some of the people on www.HeyIowa.com

Small towns in Iowa are very good places to raise families.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:49 PM

10 posts, read 82,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaGo View Post
I've lived in Muscatine for six months. I moved here to live with my fiance (now husband). We are in the process of buying a new house in Muscatine, so we'll be living here for many years to come. I commute to work in Iowa City. I moved to Muscatine from Cedar Rapids, and I love living here! It's so much more peaceful than Cedar Rapids. It's definitely a prettier town, and it doesn't smell near as bad as CR did! Muscatine is home to several large companies like HON, Bandag, Musco, etc. It's located on the scenic Mississippi River, has a very quaint and historic downtown, and is full of great parks and trails. I don't think the crime rate is any higher than any other town its size...certainly less than Cedar Rapids.
I will soon be relocating to the Cedar Rapids area with my job. I noticed you moved away....What did you not like about CR? The smell, crime...? Can you give me some feedback on what CR is like?

Old 04-18-2007, 02:39 PM

19 posts, read 79,962 times
Here are the places I have lived:
Dubuque
Germany
Clarksville, TN
Anniston, Alabama
St. Petersburg, FL
Chicago
Omaha
Cedar Rapids

Things I like about CR:
1) No traffic - you can get from one end of town to the other in 15-20 mins. You can get to Iowa City in about 20-25 mins.
2) Good Schools - College Community schools are good
3) Low Crime - at least I haven't experience or seen anything alarming.....the news rarely has violent crimes, such as murder/rape reported.

Reasons I would like to leave CR:
1) Lack of job opportunities for me
2) Weather (this past winter kicked my butt, three weeks straight of below zero temps and wind chill, plus a couple of ice storms knocking our power out for two days)
3) Real estate not as reasonable as others have stated, IMHO. I guess I am measuring this on other places I have lived, mainly Omaha. I can afford much more house at a higher quality in Omaha than here.
4) The roads are crappy compared to the south, lots of bumps, cracks, potholes......gets annoying driving on them after a while.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,138 times
What is the best area in Muscatine or surrounding area for raising kids.My husband got a job at Bandag at Musctaine. We have nothing against immigrants because we are mexicans so we would not [rejudice.Anyway a good school and a nice neighbourhood if not in Muscatine, around?
Thank you!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times
[quote=iowachick;122854]I'd pick neither....both towns have a high amount of illegal immigrants and both are poor towns with a high population of spanish-only speaking people.quote]

I know this is an old post, but I think this is kind of funny considering the dude said he was moving from Texas.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 5,102 times
El Rhino- LOL no kidding! I just moved to the Ft Madison, Iowa area from Dallas, Tx. Its kinda weird not seeing everything in Spanish! And, apparently, Ft Madison has a good amount of cultural diversity. Texans are more than used to it, and the good ones see it as an oppurtunity for learning and sharing, not a "problem" that needs to be avoided.
Iowa is great, if you can stand the cold winters. IMHO I'll take a cold January in Iowa over 80 straight days of 110 degrees in the shade and no rain in Texas any day!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 PM

166 posts, read 615,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCee View Post
I will soon be relocating to the Cedar Rapids area with my job. I noticed you moved away....What did you not like about CR? The smell, crime...? Can you give me some feedback on what CR is like?
IMHO, CR doesn't best represent Iowa. Iowa is a beautiful state with a scenery suited for almost anyone ... the NW is gorgeous, the east on the river etc etc., but CR is mostly just grey, even on a sunny day. The smell is difficult to get used to, the people here are very close knit and it can be difficult to be 'accepted' in this town. Crime is not too terrible, but the city is broke which could transform this town in 10 years into something unpleasant if the 15 in 5 city strategy is never actually realized.

If you are relocating due to work you can also look into N. Liberty, Coralville, Iowa City and have a commute to CR. I currently work in CR, do love my job, but plan on movingdown to IC this year and commuting.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,603 times
is this serious? nice copy paste. what a joke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa