Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:50 AM

2 posts, read 18,642 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning a move to Clinton, Iowa for a new job this summer, and are eager to get more information about the area and local attractions. I especially appreciate any information about good neighborhoods to live (or to avoid) in Clinton or nearby, and resources for apartment/house rental listings as we're trying to find a place long distance. We're hoping to rent for a year and then to buy a house if we like the area. I noticed several posts described the town as smelly---it isn't clear if it is the whole town?

Thanks in advance for any responses. This site is great.

Last edited by AwayWeGo!; 03-07-2011 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: Added material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:55 AM

81 posts, read 200,941 times
South Clinton (I believe) smells really really bad and I mean REALLY Bad. If the winds shifts the whole town stinks. And it's hard to describe how bad it smells, but it's just terrible. We Roll up the windows and turn off the air in the vehicle when passing through and it still stinks. They have some sort of factory that pollutes half the town. Clinton is also known as to have alot of druggies. They have a negative population change for a reason.
Honestly Clinton is known to be one of the worst/dirtiest towns on the eastern part of Iowa, sorry.
I don't live there, but I'm only 20 mins away and been there plenty of times.
Again sorry and don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but there's not too many nice things to say about Clinton (if any).

Last edited by TravelingSilvers; 03-07-2011 at 09:07 AM..

Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 18,642 times
Thanks TravelinSilvers---I guess it might be a good idea to consider other nearby towns as well.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:16 PM

81 posts, read 200,941 times
Yeah I would consider that. Clinton is cheap to live in though, but there's a reason for that.
Quad Cities is about a half hour away, but they have high crime there and there's also a smelly factory there also (although no where near as bad as Clinton). It's a tad more costly to live in also, so you'd have to add that in plus the cost of commuting to work.

Dewitt is a nice small town relatively close to Clinton.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:14 PM

659 posts, read 1,096,817 times
Clinton has Flavor Flav's Fried Chicken. If that doesn't convince you, what will?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 AM

509 posts, read 1,161,889 times
I've done a lot of construction and remodeling work in Clinton. There is nothing too bad about the area; but it is not exactly the best place to raise kids and all that. You might want to buy a house out in the country a little ways to the west or something. Maybe move to DeWitt and have your spouse drive the 15 miles to work, or even Camanche which is a bit closer. The problem with Camanche is that it is still really close to the plants and if you get the right wind it can still smell. There are a couple of chemical plants in Camanche. If you must live in Clinton or it's direct suburbs, choose the north Clinton area aka Lyons.

If you are just adults living and working; not much of a problem I don't think. I wouldn't be afraid to live almost anywhere in Clinton, but again, I wouldn't really want to raise my kid there.

The smelly part is mostly because of an ADM plant on the southeast side of town. Archer Daniels Midland is a huge company that processes corn to make all manner of products, and their processes... smell. On the same side of town is a Purina plant which basically smells like dog food, and a animal by-products plant with large vats of boiling rotted animals. Awesome.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:17 AM

77,697 posts, read 59,834,099 times
Fulton, IL is right across the river to the north and is a quiet small town.

There are some REALLY nice scenic areas along the Mississippi river valley north of Clinton on both the IL and IA sides of the river. (National Geographic Traveler mentioned them) Eagles are pretty easy to see in the winter, I've seen 500 at a time by lock and dam 13.

There are a number of really fun flea markets, farmers markets and antique shops around Thompson, IL which is across the river and north maybe 5-10 miles along the main river road.

Last I heard Clinton still has their AA baseball team (or is it A or AAA I forget) which is a fun outing.

There are some nice bike\walking trails on the IL side around Fulton etc.

It would help to know more about your interests. I've heard Clinton has a pretty good Chinese place and the Candlelight opened up there not too long ago and that's a good restaurant.

Galena and Dubuque are kinda touristy but really neat towns within an hours drive or so to the north. They have a lot of neat shops, stores etc. up that way.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:54 PM

509 posts, read 1,161,889 times
Way to be positive. I am going to the Candlelight in Clinton this weekend, I will come back and tell you how it is.

I am also fiending for some Flava Flav's Chicken; I want to give it a try before it shuts down or something.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:30 PM

77,697 posts, read 59,834,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
Way to be positive. I am going to the Candlelight in Clinton this weekend, I will come back and tell you how it is.

I am also fiending for some Flava Flav's Chicken; I want to give it a try before it shuts down or something.
The Candlelight is also in Sterling, IL and is a good place. They opened up a branch in Clinton a few years ago so I would expect it to be good as well.

Next time I'm back up that way I will def. have to buy some flava flavs.....the buckets or bags etc. would be classic.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 9,100 times
I live in Clinton and I actually love it here. My husband and I moved here almost 3 years ago from Florida. So of course it was a big change, but it's been nothing but great. We live on the north side of town and our neighborhood is just wonderful. It's full of families with young kids right around the same ages as ours. Everyone takes care of their yards and houses and we haven't had any problems. There are some neighborhoods (mostly out by the ADM plant, which is also what smells) that are not so great, but that's to be expected since the median income here is quite low. It's just your average small (to me.. coming from a city of over a million, ha) country town. It has absolutely everything you could possibly want here though. Fast foods galore, Target, Walmart, hospital, etc. The schools here are also pretty good (but then again I'm comparing to Florida where they kind of really really suck). When we moved here we looked at other towns in Illinois but ultimately decided on Clinton because Illinois taxes are horrendous and it seemed to have everything we would need. My husband even actually works in Illinois. The smell comes from the ADM plant. When we first moved here we actually lived right across the street from it. It didn't bother me one bit though. To me it honestly smells like corn cooking. It is a corn processing plant afterall. The smell didn't stop me from opening my windows or anything else. I think people just like to complain. If you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa