Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM

178 posts, read 334,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
^^^^^

The pre-requisite Freudian explanations when what is more obvious than broad daylight - simply isn't received well.

Only in Iowa.
No, I think the explanations would occur in other states too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 04:03 AM

620 posts, read 1,231,876 times
Funny how there are people on the Iowa board saying southern Iowa has a "light southern accent". Then we have people on the Missouri Board saying how the northern Missouri counties that border Iowa are so northern, and they have a very midwestern accent. I guess it is all relative to where you are from. I am from Branson and we have lots of tourists from Iowa. I have always found them to have either very neutral accents, or northern minnesota-like accents. I am aware most of us down here have southern accents to you.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,255,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Funny how there are people on the Iowa board saying southern Iowa has a "light southern accent". Then we have people on the Missouri Board saying how the northern Missouri counties that border Iowa are so northern, and they have a very midwestern accent. I guess it is all relative to where you are from. I am from Branson and we have lots of tourists from Iowa. I have always found them to have either very neutral accents, or northern minnesota-like accents. I am aware most of us down here have southern accents to you.
It's definitely somewhat relative. I grew up in west-central Illinois and any time I would travel to Chicago they would assume I was from 'way down south because of my "accent".

Old 02-14-2013, 10:45 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It's definitely somewhat relative. I grew up in west-central Illinois and any time I would travel to Chicago they would assume I was from 'way down south because of my "accent".
Yes, it is hit and miss with that southern accent. I knew a guy that I thought was from Alabama or Mississippi because of his strong southern accent. He was actually from St Louis!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,080 times
as far as I know Iowa is classified to be one of the states that predominantly has the General American accent

Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,255,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I must have hit "submit" before I finished my thought. Anyway, I also meant to say that when I would visit southern Illinois the folks down there assumed I was from the Chicago area, again because of my "accent".

Old 02-14-2013, 04:33 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
^ The bottom two tiers of counties have a light sourthern draw. The top two (maybe more?) have the light upper Midwest accent. I'm from the latter, and people here in Des Moines often guess that I'm from "up north".
That is a south midland accent not a southern accent. Found across missouri and kansas, much of illinois, indiana, and ohio

Old 02-14-2013, 04:38 PM

620 posts, read 1,231,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
That is a south midland accent not a southern accent. Found across missouri and kansas, much of illinois, indiana, and ohio
The South Midland dialect region follows the Ohio River in a generally southwesterly direction, moving across from Kentucky, Southern Indiana, and Southern Illinois to southern Missouri, Arkansas, southern Kansas, and Oklahoma, west of the Mississippi river. So no, you are incorrect.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
The South Midland dialect region follows the Ohio River in a generally southwesterly direction, moving across from Kentucky, Southern Indiana, and Southern Illinois to southern Missouri, Arkansas, southern Kansas, and Oklahoma, west of the Mississippi river. So no, you are incorrect.
Maybe after you look at these maps, you'll see the South Midland dialect I'm referring to. And maybe you'll quit trying to start these ridiculous fights. I am referring to the South Midland dialect mapped out by the University of Pennsylvania. This is the most widely accepted study of English. Google "South Midland" dialect and you will almost exclusively get maps modeled after this.

NYC dialect samples

National Map

Old 02-14-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Yes, it is hit and miss with that southern accent. I knew a guy that I thought was from Alabama or Mississippi because of his strong southern accent. He was actually from St Louis!
Being from St. Louis myself, I can tell you that if that guy sounded the way he did, he is a true anomaly to this city of our's. He may not have been born and raised in St. Louis, though, even if he was from there. If he was, he is a true anomaly. St. Louis dialect is neutral saving exactly one type of pronunciation. Here are a few examples of it. Forty="farty" Quarter="Quawrter".

Here is what a linguistic study had to say about the St. Louis accent: Go on the site and click on "Midland" dialects if you can find them. The quote is that "St. Louis is a city located squarely in the South Midland region, but it has a long been a center of Northern linguistic influence." St. Louis is currently undergoing the Northern Cities Shift.

Overall, I'm not discounting your experience at all...simply trying to tell you that you encountered a guy who sounds nothing like the area he is from. The site is listed below.

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atla....html#Heading2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa