Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 08:08 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,096,533 times

Advertisements

I'm potentially looking at several years down the road relocating to another state in the Midwest besides the one I currently reside in, and was wondering what the pros and cons were of living in Iowa, whether in the cities or in the country. I am looking at potentially obtaining my CPA license in the next few years and wanted to know what would best serve me...working in a place like Cedar RApids or Des Moines, or in cities cities like Ames or Mason City. Thanks. I've heard Iowa is a much richer state than Missouri and also more politically balanced out...being from St. Louis, I tend to lean more to the left, whereas the rest of Missouri tends to lean more to the right. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 08:22 PM

142 posts, read 243,591 times
Eastern Iowa is much more liberal than western Iowa, although I am imagining Des Moines might be better to find work than the other cities you mentioned for a CPA.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Des Moines is a good place to begin and offers quite a number of companies that hire CPAs.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 AM

23 posts, read 100,598 times
If you look at the state's political leanings by county, you will find a pretty balanced gradient of blue in the east to red in the west. Adjust a little for bluer cities and redder rural areas. This might be the best geographic diagram of a swing state in the nation.

Missouri reflects a far bigger urban / rural divide.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
In the grand scheme of things, I"m not sure you're in for a big change moving from Missouri to Iowa (or visa versa).

Leaving St Louis - you're leaving behind being located where pro sports is big. That seems to mean a lot to some, not at all to others. Iowa is much more into major college sports as we are one of the smallest states to have two BCS schools. Our pro sports are limited to minor/lower leauges and Arena football.

The number of opportunities for jobs would differentate locating in Mason City vs Des Moines (using your examples). I lived in Mason City for several years and it was fine. More job opportunities brought me to Des Moines.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:04 AM

14 posts, read 62,155 times
Iowa is a very rural state... Anywhere that isn't a city is pretty much one huge cornfield. Also there isn't much diversity here, winters are very cold, and if you're considering Cedar Rapids be aware of the crime rate there, seems to get worse and worse.

Des Moines is an okay city, nothing too special about it. If you lean more to the left, I would recommend Iowa City.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:07 PM

412 posts, read 1,153,065 times
Iowa City is a very liberal city which does remind me of small Seattle. It's so alive and thriving unlike many Iowa towns/cities are dead in the city core. Yea, I lived in Washington state for too long.

Cedar Rapids reminds me of Spokane, WA due to the similar geography and the skyline. It's more of a blue collar working class city. I'm pretty sure many commute to Iowa City for work due that Cedar Rapids is cheaper to live overall than Iowa City area.

Don't bother with Mason City...kinda dead there. Ames is a college town like Iowa City but has a different personality.

Also, Iowa is a very rural state compared to other states but not as rural as the Dakotas, Wyoming or Montana. The biggest metro area is Des Moines with nearly 600k in the metro area.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:00 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
I am looking at potentially obtaining my CPA license
Another thing you could do is check the pass rates for the CPA exam, both from your school in general and in Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa