U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:00 AM

10 posts, read 38,201 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to find a map of Keg Creek in Pottawattamie County, but this town seems like it must have disappeared. Is anyone out there familiar with it and can you tell me anything about it?

Thanks,
Dee
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 05:49 AM

482 posts, read 2,079,380 times
It is now just a township in Iowa. Here is the link about the history of Keg Creek Iowa for you.

IAGenWeb - Pottawattamie Co, Iowa - History: Keg Creek Township

So I don't think that it is a town anymore. Hope this helps you.

I have also provided you with a link to a map that shows you were Keg Creek settlement was located as well.

Winter Quarters Project

Old 12-04-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Thank you!

Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you so much for your reply to my post and the links you sent me. I did have the one on Keg Creek through the Iowa Genweb but I didn't have the other one. I am planning to go to Iowa next summer and I'm trying to get as much information on the areas I need to visit before arriving.

I have looked Keg Creek up on Google Earth but it only takes me to one lonely farm. I'm not sure that's where my great grandparents lived but I know they spent about 15 years in Keg Creek.

Thank you again so much for the post. We need more nice people like you.

Have a joyous Christmas and Holiday Season.

Dianne Fleenor

Old 12-05-2007, 07:00 AM

884 posts, read 826,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdove03 View Post
Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you so much for your reply to my post and the links you sent me. I did have the one on Keg Creek through the Iowa Genweb but I didn't have the other one. I am planning to go to Iowa next summer and I'm trying to get as much information on the areas I need to visit before arriving.

I have looked Keg Creek up on Google Earth but it only takes me to one lonely farm. I'm not sure that's where my great grandparents lived but I know they spent about 15 years in Keg Creek.

Thank you again so much for the post. We need more nice people like you.

Have a joyous Christmas and Holiday Season.

Dianne Fleenor

I know Glenwood, IA (south of C.B.) Hosts the "Keg Creek Days" every summer. Not sure if that has anything to do with this though.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Thanks Steve!

Hi Steve,

If your CB is Council Bluffs, then you are in the right area. As far as I can tell, that is the only Keg Creek. Can you give me anymore info on this event, like when it is held, etc.? Would like any info I can get. I'm planning a trip there the 2nd week of June.

Thanks,
Dianne

Old 12-20-2007, 07:59 AM

884 posts, read 826,465 times
Quote:
Hi Steve,

If your CB is Council Bluffs, then you are in the right area. As far as I can tell, that is the only Keg Creek. Can you give me anymore info on this event, like when it is held, etc.? Would like any info I can get. I'm planning a trip there the 2nd week of June.

Thanks,
Dianne
Dianne,
Yes, Glenwood is just to the south of Council Bluffs. Keg Creek runs right by or through Glenwood, hence the Keg Creek Days. Last year they were held August 26th-27th. Here is a link that may be updated sometime to show 2008's Keg Creek Days. I don't think the date really changes year by year though. For more details I would contact the Glenwood Chamber.

http://www.glenwoodia.com/calendar/view_entry.php?id=385&date=20070826 (broken link)

Old 01-03-2008, 09:07 PM

Default Thanks Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the great info. I also checked out the link and it looks very promising. At least now I know there is some sort of "Keg Creek".

Thanks again,
Dianne

Old 04-15-2008, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,522 times
Default Keg Creek

Quote:
I've been trying to find a map of Keg Creek in Pottawattamie County, but this town seems like it must have disappeared. Is anyone out there familiar with it and can you tell me anything about it?

Thanks,
Dee
Hi,

In the late 1840"s and early 1850"s there was a town called Keg Creek that I believe was located near where the Mormon trail crossed Keg Creek. This historic town does not exist any more but its site is aproximated by the map you found.

There was also two other small villages of about 12 log huts each a little farther north on the same creek in what is now Hardin township of Pottawattamie Co. One was called "Upper Crossing of Keg Creek", and the other was called "Third crossing of Keg Creek". There is no trace of these villages either. I believe they were located on Keg Creek where highway 6 crossed the creek. I am still working on proving that this was where they were located.

I hope these small bits of information may help you.

I would be interested if you had any Family members buried there?

Bye,
Ivan Jones

Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 PM

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I have anyone buried there as I'm waiting for the microfilm from Salt Lake on Iowa burials. I'm wondering if my great great grandfather William Wroth is buried near Keg Creek as I can't find him anywhere in Eddyville and that's where they all lived until 1891. I know my great grandfather moved his family from Keg Creek in 1906 to Los Angeles, California via train and he rode horseback all the way. Wow, what an endeavor! I would greatly appreciate hearing back from you if you should be able to find any more info.

Thanks again,
Dee

Old 12-02-2010, 01:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,626 times
Default Keg Creek -Pottawattami, IA

I don't think that Keg Creek is a town, it is a Township. It appears that it is up near Treynor off 92. Hope it helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa