U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 05:40 PM

24 posts, read 103,889 times

Advertisements

I like prepaid phone because I don't use them that often, but I'm having trouble finding what cell phone plans are available in Iowa (alltel, At&T, Virgin) does anyone know what providers will work in the area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 06:33 PM

204 posts, read 945,096 times
Verizon probably has the biggest area of coverage, but carriers like Sprint, AT & T, and I-wireless (a local carrier) have a considerable coverage area as well.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:26 PM

296 posts, read 1,194,502 times
As someone who also likes prepaid cellular, I gotta say we haven't yet been reached by some of the better plans. Virgin isn't here, for example. I use Tracfone and find the coverage acceptable if not stellar. Part of the problem for me is that carriers that focus the carriers that focus on the population centers have no coverage out in the boonies; if you don't spend much time in the boonies, that shouldn't matter to you, but I'm one of those road-less-traveled-by types, and, of course, that's where I always am when the battery dies, etc.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:27 PM

745 posts, read 2,019,269 times
There's several search engines on the web that will tell you what providers have licenses to serve your area. But the quickest way is just to go to the provider's website, try to look at plans and coverage, and see if they'll sell you something in your zip code. Do you have a specific area within Iowa or a zip code that is most important to you because there are different options in different parts of Iowa? It seems like alltel, US Cellular, and Verizon are all fairly popular in different places of Iowa. I know alltel has alltelU pre-pay, if they're an option in your area of Iowa. Verizon also has InPulse and I'm thinking US Cellular also has a couple pre-pay plans though I'm not as familiar with USCC. I'm even thinking At&t covers parts of Iowa and they have a GoPhone. Tracfone and Page Plus are other pre-paid options that work on another provider's network. I don't think Sprint (and Virgin which uses Sprint) cover much of Iowa, neither does T-Mobile.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:05 AM

291 posts, read 1,959,494 times
One of the best prepaid deals in the country is Alltel U. You would be among the more fortunate to live in Alltel territory. However, tied for my prepaid favorite is T-Mobile2Go, and, while T-mobile doesn't serve most of IA, their 'affiliate", Iwireless does. There's a list of carriers on the Iowa Cellular Reviews page.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:14 AM

24 posts, read 103,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRadio View Post
One of the best prepaid deals in the country is Alltel U. You would be among the more fortunate to live in Alltel territory. However, tied for my prepaid favorite is T-Mobile2Go, and, while T-mobile doesn't serve most of IA, their 'affiliate", Iwireless does. There's a list of carriers on the Iowa Cellular Reviews page.
I have Alltel U right now where I am at in West Virginia and I am quite happy with them. I will be moving around the Cedar Rapids/ Iowa City areas and I can't seem to find anything. I went to several different companies sites and it looks spotty at best so I came here trying to see what other people have.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:11 AM

745 posts, read 2,019,269 times
I don't know what's popular in the area or what may be the best. But according to the providers websites that I went to, IWireless, At&t, Verizon, and US Cellular are the local providers for those 2 counties. (Tracfone usually uses At&t's network.) Verizon and US Cellular don't have traditional pre-pay, they have more like a monthly plan, except paid in advance. So I would really check out IWireless or At&t if you want something more similar to pay-per-minute or pay-per-day.

AlltelU should work if you wanted to keep your WV number and it shouldn't cost any extra to roam, but they probably would not be able to give you a local number, you wouldn't be using alltel towers, and you may have to double-dial which is something my brother had to do when he had alltelU and was free roaming. Now that I've tried to present all possible choices, hopefully somebody with some more local experience will be able to guide you on the best choice.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:43 PM

10 posts, read 56,388 times
I feel after the many providers I have used is that Verizon has the best coverage.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:49 AM

14 posts, read 62,910 times
My cheap little mobile pay as you go phone picked up all my friends and family over in England anywhere we went in iowa on a recent visit.We were on Vodaphone and T Mobile network and as soon has we landed in Chicago it went over to one of your networks.I have phoned from portugal,spain and andora on it and those networks never let you down.Try to find out the equivalent in the US and they will never let you down either.Happy dog and boning!

Old 11-10-2007, 07:39 AM

4 posts, read 31,001 times
US Cellular, here in Albia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa