U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:15 AM

166 posts, read 578,537 times

Advertisements

Ames is a nice town, but will be a culture shock from Baltimore. If you can swing it you should take a trip with your son to tour the campus. I'd say it's close enough to Des Moines so there will probably be some relatively near campus internship opportunities.

I am a hawkeye fan myself, so if you do come for a visit why not check out Iowa City & the University of Iowa as well?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,391 times
Default tell me something!...please

Hi!, i have just applied to iowa state, i am working on taking a tour soon, i was just wondering i live in wisconsin, is it worth paying out of state tuition? also are the parties good? ik it sounds funny but its a big part of collage life! lastly r there things to do there? like shop, places to eat, will i get bored? oo yeah and are sororitis and Frats a huge part of the campus?

thanks for the response: really all i want to know is will i have fun there?

Annie

Old 12-03-2007, 07:22 PM

296 posts, read 1,194,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annierh12390 View Post
Hi!, i have just applied to iowa state, i am working on taking a tour soon, i was just wondering i live in wisconsin, is it worth paying out of state tuition? also are the parties good? ik it sounds funny but its a big part of collage life! lastly r there things to do there? like shop, places to eat, will i get bored? oo yeah and are sororitis and Frats a huge part of the campus?

Annie

You are paying HOW MUCH to go to college so you can PARTY? Sister, that is sooooo yesterday. Stay home and party, move somewhere and party, but don't bother paying for an education... save that for when you're ready for it. Partying is a part of life -- you don't have to go to college to party. You do have to go to college to get a college education. If that's not why you're going, you're just wasting your money and your time.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:25 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,659,896 times
Good point Woodward! And if you are in WI why wouldnt you go to MadCity to party?? Ames might be fun the first week, until you figure out everybody's idea of fun is order a keg, stand around it and drink at a house. Same thing week in and out. I'd take Madcity any day of the week over Ames!!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:55 AM

884 posts, read 827,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annierh12390 View Post

Annie
Yeah they party...Last time I was there a fraternity was hosting a nude marathon. Moderator cut: using sexual orientation to disparage others is not permittedbut I guess it shows they try to have as much fun as they can, considering the town.

Also, I wouldn't shop for a school based on it's party reputation. That is exactly what I did and I was booted from that University for drinking. You or your parents are paying good money to go to school so make the most of it.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-04-2007 at 10:45 PM..

Old 12-08-2007, 06:11 PM

166 posts, read 578,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwardGirl View Post
You are paying HOW MUCH to go to college so you can PARTY? Sister, that is sooooo yesterday. Stay home and party, move somewhere and party, but don't bother paying for an education... save that for when you're ready for it. Partying is a part of life -- you don't have to go to college to party. You do have to go to college to get a college education. If that's not why you're going, you're just wasting your money and your time.
Annie - take this advice.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:40 AM

1,811 posts, read 7,217,517 times
I went to Iowa State for a year. There is indeed a prevelance of drinking and partying. Some of my friends got caught up in it, and it detrimentally affected their school work. The others avoided it and made it just fine. I guess it depends on a person's tendancies. I think people could fall into either camp at most schools.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:18 PM

645 posts, read 484,145 times
Ames has 2 factions, the college students and the town folks. The town is nice, and the schools are good for the residents, and like most colleges you can drink yourself out of ISU. For jobs, you're looking typical part time jobs in customer service, most ISU grads end up in some of the larger metro areas like Minneapolis, Chicago, Kansas City, and of course Des Moines/Omaha.

There are definitely more guys than girls there, take that how you want. I enjoyed my time there, quickly found an internship and a job in Des Moines, and have an aunt/uncle who live there and work at the hospital. Just looking at the population, you have to assume it's not going to be even remotely similar to a city the size of baltimore, right?

Veishea used to be a fun event, not sure what it is now.
Anyways, you can party some, take advantage of the rec dept., etc, it has a lot of amenities for it's size.

And diversity is about what people have said, asian and athletics for the most part.

Last edited by simply1; 12-15-2007 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: add information

Old 01-23-2008, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,282 times
Can someone give me some facts about this town. For instance, cost of living, jobs, places to shop, crime, public transportation, minority population, etc.

Hi Uniquemonique - I am a senior at ISU, so I hope I can help a little bit. I just wanted to clarify something: ISU, just like any other school, as as much a party school as your son will make it. I had friends who partied every night, and I have friends who never party at all. The very best thing about ISU is that there is a niche for EVERYBODY. So don't let what other people wrote scare you - if your son is grounded, it won't bother him at all. And I can't imagine that you'd want your son so far away if you didn't have faith in him.

To answer your other questions: cost of living is fairly cheap, in my opinion. Living off campus has been about 300/month (that includes rent and utilities), but I'd suggest having your son live on campus for at least one year - there are a ton of on-campus living options, and if he decides he wants to be in a fraternity (ISU has one of the largest Greek systems in America) the university makes it easy to move after the first semester.
Jobs: all of my friends have had a variety of jobs, but most have gotten well-paying jobs on campus through work-study. Work study will depend on your FAFSA, but there are also many other jobs on campus that are not work study. Most people can find a job somewhere off campus - whether at a grocery store, wait-person at low or high end restaurants, working retail at the mall or other large businesses, or working for the many private businesses here in town. I don't know anyone who didn't work because they couldn't find a job.
Shopping: not the best selection here in Ames, but we have the staple Wal-Mart, Target, HyVee that can get anyone by until they can go with their friends down to Des Moines (which is home to the 3rd largest mall in the US, Jordan Creek).
Crime: not a lot, besides the occasional act of drunken vandalism at VEISHEA (that's an inside joke...) you really needn't worry about Ames - it is basically an engorged small town; I only locked our front door occasionally.
Public Transportation: we have CyRide, which many large cities (I think New Mexico and Ft. Collins colorado) have based their own bus systems off of. The busses are efficient, and you can basically get anywhere in town from campus, or your nearest bus stop. it just takes a little time studying the routes online ([url=http://www.cyride.com]CyRide Home[/url])
Minority population: not a lot of diversity here - while there are people from all over the country and world, a majority of students are from right here in Iowa.

I hope that's helpful. ISU is especially well known for its engineering, design, ag, and vet schools, but I was a liberal arts and sciences major (political science), and I feel that i learned a TON. Remember, if he hates ISU, he can always drop out and transfer somewhere else at semester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa