Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:17 AM

39 posts, read 52,983 times

Advertisements

Iowa is ok. I have lived back and fourth between the southeastern region usa and the midwest region usa for a number of years. I was born and raised in the midwest till I was a junior in High School. My opinion is, Iowa as a state I think is ok. Quad cities is not great but not horrible either. I'd give it a grade of a "C". They have let the park where I go run at go. There was a bunch of trash in it and the grass hasn't been mowed and is past my waist as the bugs eat me alive. Not sure if it's a funding issue or what is going on with that. I have been here in the quad cities since 2010. A lot of the infrastructure is badly outdated. Like the I-74 bridge from Iowa to Illinois. A lot of the roads are fairly rough from the fairly long winters. On a positive note I'm not always sitting in traffic. I usually don't have to beg people to do their jobs here like I had to do back down south. That's definitely a positive thing. I also had a hard time understanding the southern accent down there, another reason why I left the southeast. I definitely love small town Iowa or small town midwest life not so much big cities. As far as where to live, you have to do your homework and consider what you and the husband want. I see a lot of folks living outside the QC=quad cities and driving into work here. I am still considering doing that as I dislike city life with a passion and love the country life. I like the people here for the most part. Also 911 responds to calls here fairly quickly unlike other places I have lived where they don't respond because the system is overloaded. You'll probably miss the beach back in South Carolina and the North Carolina and Georgia Mountains, but our QC airport has direct flights to Atlanta and then transfer to the town of your choice from Atlanta. Keep in mind Iowa has some lovely state parks you may want to check out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 03:54 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcright79 View Post
They have let the park where I go run at go. There was a bunch of trash in it and the grass hasn't been mowed and is past my waist as the bugs eat me alive.
Which park are you talking about? Most of the Quad Cities parks seem decently kept up in terms of mowing and grass length, but I don't visit all of them. I used to work for the Rock Island parks department and most of the parks except for Schwiebert only had trash pickup on Monday and Friday when I worked there. So if you're visiting the park early on a Monday or a Thursday, it can look pretty rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcright79 View Post
A lot of the infrastructure is badly outdated. Like the I-74 bridge from Iowa to Illinois.
The I-74 bridge is bad but they're in the planning process of building a new bridge. Obviously that will take a while but it's a step in the right direction.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 AM

39 posts, read 52,983 times
Devil's Glenn Park but I haven't been there since about a month. Bunch of trash at the top of the hill and grass was as long as my waist. I wasn't happy about it. Always in years past they have cut the grass.

Last edited by kcright79; 06-27-2013 at 02:03 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,383 times
Hello Jenn_R! I am curious how your move went and where you ended up! I am moving my family of 5 next month and we have been looking in the Bettendorf, Eldridge and Park View areas. I am always in the healthcare field and my husband has excepted a new position in Davenport. I would love to hear what you think of the area and the cost of living. We are moving from the Atlanta area. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa