Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:36 PM

221 posts, read 1,190,919 times

Advertisements

Well, I actually have a life so I can't keep this up.

It is pretty hilarious, though, that the regular Iowa thought police posters are the ones who have crowded onto this thread, instead of new posters expressing new thoughts!

Let's see, what else shocking can I say about Iowa that will make CapitalCityAyatollah, ElleStalin and DusterHussein have fits?

Not much - I actually like Iowa quite a lot, and have travelled throughout almost every part of the state (although I have never been to the Lake Okoboji area, which is supposed to be nice.) Daily life in Iowa has nothing to do with a group of sillies who try to control the expressions of others on an internet forum.

But there must be something! Let's see . . .

Ankeny really is burbvillemcburbness - it could be any 1980s - 2010s developer's plot located outside of any largish city. As for buying a home there . . . well, if that's your kind of place, cool for you.

I once gave a program to a class in Mason City, and the kids were the most appalling things I've ever encountered in a lifetime of giving school programs around the country! They weren't rowdy - it was a small group of mean kids verbally harassing another group of kids, while the cow of a teacher sat there looking stupid. Hmmm, wonder if the members of CD's IowaSavak grew up in Mason City? Anyway, that made me acquire a major distaste for Mason City. If that was representative of schools in that town, don't let your kids attend school in Mason City!

One of my favorite non-fiction books describes how Owatonna was once the meth distribution capital of the Midwest. Don't think it is anymore. Downtown Owatonna still reflects that period, though - it is a sad, empty, disintegrating mess.

That's all I can think of now.

So, posters new to the Iowa forum - you'll soon find out that if you write anything even remotely negative about Iowa, The Iowa CD-Gestapo (I'm showing my age) will come after you full force. And if you post something that you think is completely neutral, but it disagrees even slightly with the thoughts of a member of the Negative Gang on this forum, you'll find your post attacked. Don't worry, you'll soon recognize the names of the bullies. They post constantly.

Keep on postin', Fezz and Ronnie! I may (and do) disagree with you, but I'll defend to the death your right to post whatever you want to post. Well, not really to the death . . .

Oh - also - Iowans really do eat a lot of dead hog. Ya can't deny it!

Old 08-20-2013, 02:22 PM

9,612 posts, read 21,151,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily0fthevalley View Post
Well, I actually have a life so I can't keep this up.

It is pretty hilarious, though, that the regular Iowa thought police posters are the ones who have crowded onto this thread, instead of new posters expressing new thoughts!
Sorry to hear that you have so much trouble dealing with people who have divergent opinions.

Quote:
Let's see, what else shocking can I say about Iowa that will make CapitalCityAyatollah, ElleStalin and DusterHussein have fits?
I think you're on the wrong board, I've never seen anyone with those names post here.

Quote:
Not much - I actually like Iowa quite a lot, and have travelled throughout almost every part of the state (although I have never been to the Lake Okoboji area, which is supposed to be nice.) Daily life in Iowa has nothing to do with a group of sillies who try to control the expressions of others on an internet forum.
What?

Quote:
But there must be something! Let's see . . .

Ankeny really is burbvillemcburbness - it could be any 1980s - 2010s developer's plot located outside of any largish city. As for buying a home there . . . well, if that's your kind of place, cool for you.
I will agree that Ankeny is pretty plain vanilla. But it's clean and quiet, has great schools and a great parks and rec system, plus a good variety of shopping and services and is close to Des Moines. If none of those things are important to you then obviously you should look elsewhere. I chose not to live there myself when I worked in Ankeny. But I really don't see what's so wrong about it.

Quote:
I once gave a program to a class in Mason City, and the kids were the most appalling things I've ever encountered in a lifetime of giving school programs around the country! They weren't rowdy - it was a small group of mean kids verbally harassing another group of kids, while the cow of a teacher sat there looking stupid. Hmmm, wonder if the members of CD's IowaSavak grew up in Mason City? Anyway, that made me acquire a major distaste for Mason City. If that was representative of schools in that town, don't let your kids attend school in Mason City!
From what I hear, that's fairly representative of the United States overall right now. Hardly unique to Mason City or Iowa.

Quote:
One of my favorite non-fiction books describes how Owatonna was once the meth distribution capital of the Midwest. Don't think it is anymore. Downtown Owatonna still reflects that period, though - it is a sad, empty, disintegrating mess.
Now I know you're on the wrong board. Owatonna is in Minnesota.

Quote:
That's all I can think of now.
You left out the fact that everyone goes out of his or her way to address strangers a "hon" and "dear."

Quote:
So, posters new to the Iowa forum - you'll soon find out that if you write anything even remotely negative about Iowa, The Iowa CD-Gestapo (I'm showing my age) will come after you full force. And if you post something that you think is completely neutral, but it disagrees even slightly with the thoughts of a member of the Negative Gang on this forum, you'll find your post attacked. Don't worry, you'll soon recognize the names of the bullies. They post constantly.
Double negative.

Quote:
Oh - also - Iowans really do eat a lot of dead hog. Ya can't deny it!
And so do people in pretty much every other state, so what's your point here?

Old 08-21-2013, 01:04 AM

5,238 posts, read 7,953,726 times
Forum Mod - Are you there? Please consider closing this thread, there is no valid reason to keep it alive.

OP, I would like like to leave the area myself, but that doesn't mean the state does not have positive things about it or that it might not suit others well. To give a level headed critique of the pros and cons is one thing, but this thread was started for only one reason. I find it trollish and nothing else. I would encourage others to not keep posting, as people that do this kind of thing are hell bent on keeping it going and getting the last word. If the mods refuse to do anything at least let it die on its own.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:07 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,422,498 times
this is so pathetic, oh my god

why the hell hasn't this been locked yet?

Old 08-21-2013, 07:01 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,163,569 times
The OP's comparison to Hitler, Stalin, and the Gestapo is repugnant and an insult especially to those who lost family and friends in those regimes. Hopefully, this thread will be deleted or at the very least modified.

Last edited by smpliving; 08-21-2013 at 08:03 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 04:27 PM

415 posts, read 1,732,428 times
Agreed. This is a forum about Iowa, not the members of the forum.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:22 PM

18,151 posts, read 25,689,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Forum Mod - Are you there? Please consider closing this thread, there is no valid reason to keep it alive.

Thread closed for moderator review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa