U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:07 PM

166 posts, read 578,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UW Badgers View Post
Hubby and I moved to CR 3 years ago from the Milwaukee area. This city is a total bore. It is so far behind times, it isn't even funny.

The whole town shuts down the minute a snowflake falls. I couldn't believe the first winter we were here and schools were closing BEFORE it even began to snow. Being from Milwaukee, we are tough winter people and you would need a blizzard for a school to close. I'm glad we don't have kids, they would never be in school in the winter. The plowing here stinks!

I consider this town a town you would have to be born in to love. Don't even get me started on Westdale Mall, what a joke. Moving here, I didn't realize that the nearby towns would have NOTHING.
Example:
If Cedar Rapids were Milwaukee, Ely would have just as much shopping, food and schools as Cedar Rapids.

I understand that Milwaukee is bigger then CR, but if CR actually had money, this town could be something. I for one wouldn't mind my taxes being raised a bit if it meant it would go to something new here.

I find it funny to read how "nice" everyone is in Iowa. I do see a difference here and there, but yet when we moved into our house, no one came and welcomed us. We live in a nice looking neighborhood and the one person I've talked to the most, is the guy flipping the house next door to us.

We can't stand the way people take care of their homes/yards. People must think we are crazy by the way we treat our grass, we have the nicest on the block. That stems from being in Wisconsin. Is it so hard to cut your grass, rake your leaves, shovel your snow? I've never seen so many yards that have weeds for grass, what a shame. We don't know why you would invest in a house and not take care of it.

When I discovered I would have to pay for parking at the library, I knew this town had some serious issues.

We moved for a job promotion for my husband. If we had to do it all over again, it would never have happened. We will not retire here(long ways from that), and are counting the days for when we move back.
I agree for the most part. I've been in CR for two years...
1. I would love to have gone to school here. It is a snow day/late start heaven. I was in school from 7th grade up in Minnesota, and only ONE day did the school close - and that was because the State Gov. mandated it.

2. You do have to be born here to love it - or to be part of it. This is a closed circle type of town. It's difficult to meet people. There's next to nothing going on. The people aren't welcoming to newcomers.

3. Iowa City is a lot like Milwaukee. Coralville has decent shopping. Other than that...nothing.

4. I can't figure out or get a good answer to why CR is broke. Davenport is building up their downtown. Des Moines & Iowa City are doing the same. They are attracting newcomers. Cedar Rapids tends to reject the idea.

5. I don't see the niceness in Cedar Rapids either. I have not yet decided though if I am "Not Iowa" or just "Not Cedar Rapids". I've had good experiences in Iowa City & Des Moines.

Good luck on the rest of your stay!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 07:33 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,658,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UW Badgers View Post
Hubby and I moved to CR 3 years ago from the Milwaukee area. This city is a total bore. It is so far behind times, it isn't even funny.

The whole town shuts down the minute a snowflake falls. I couldn't believe the first winter we were here and schools were closing BEFORE it even began to snow. Being from Milwaukee, we are tough winter people and you would need a blizzard for a school to close. I'm glad we don't have kids, they would never be in school in the winter. The plowing here stinks!

I consider this town a town you would have to be born in to love. Don't even get me started on Westdale Mall, what a joke. Moving here, I didn't realize that the nearby towns would have NOTHING.
Example:
If Cedar Rapids were Milwaukee, Ely would have just as much shopping, food and schools as Cedar Rapids.

I understand that Milwaukee is bigger then CR, but if CR actually had money, this town could be something. I for one wouldn't mind my taxes being raised a bit if it meant it would go to something new here.

I find it funny to read how "nice" everyone is in Iowa. I do see a difference here and there, but yet when we moved into our house, no one came and welcomed us. We live in a nice looking neighborhood and the one person I've talked to the most, is the guy flipping the house next door to us.

We can't stand the way people take care of their homes/yards. People must think we are crazy by the way we treat our grass, we have the nicest on the block. That stems from being in Wisconsin. Is it so hard to cut your grass, rake your leaves, shovel your snow? I've never seen so many yards that have weeds for grass, what a shame. We don't know why you would invest in a house and not take care of it.

When I discovered I would have to pay for parking at the library, I knew this town had some serious issues.

We moved for a job promotion for my husband. If we had to do it all over again, it would never have happened. We will not retire here(long ways from that), and are counting the days for when we move back.
So true. You can apply that description to the entire state as well.

The schools didn't use to shut down for nothing though. In the 90s they all started shutting down for rediculous reasons. They shut down a ton yesterday because we had that little storm over the weekend. It is embarassing. If I had kids I'd start wondering when they were going to learn anything. But as we all know it isn't about the kids, it's about how much money, power, and relaxation that the teachers' union in this state can squeeze from people.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:43 PM

296 posts, read 1,194,387 times
Default It's not the size of the storm, it's the size of the liability that counts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
They shut down a ton yesterday because we had that little storm over the weekend. It is embarassing. If I had kids I'd start wondering when they were going to learn anything.
As a teacher, I'd just like to say that when I got to school yesterday for a 10:00 late start, every maintenance person they could find and then some were out trying to chip an inch of glare ice off all the horizontal surfaces, such as sidewalks and parking lots. Personally, I'm thinking I'd rather have my child safe at home than cracking his head open on ice-covered walks, but that's just me.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:03 PM

166 posts, read 578,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
So true. You can apply that description to the entire state as well.

The schools didn't use to shut down for nothing though. In the 90s they all started shutting down for rediculous reasons. They shut down a ton yesterday because we had that little storm over the weekend. It is embarassing. If I had kids I'd start wondering when they were going to learn anything. But as we all know it isn't about the kids, it's about how much money, power, and relaxation that the teachers' union in this state can squeeze from people.
I disagree just a bit here - I don't think it's the teachers union looking for any of those things. It's fact in stone that IA teachers are paid ridicously low so I don't see correlation there. The State itself needs to put de-icing and snow removal of public propery, such as schools & hospitals, at the top of the list. Plowing is horrible everywhere I've ever been in an IA winter - they need to prioritize more than a bit.

I was in school in IA until 92 and don't remember many closures at that time. I notice them all over the place now. What's the real change that occurred to make this the case?

Old 03-30-2014, 12:50 AM

113 posts, read 152,044 times
I'm from NJ right outside NYC so Iowa , even Des Moines seems boring to me . But Lancaster County is the Amish county, so this person must be into that stuff. Lancaster is a city too, but not really known that well. I don't think Des Moines is that known either, at least around here, but Lancaster is even less know then DM.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:02 PM

15,413 posts, read 5,203,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Yeah dude, Lancaster looks WAY more happening than Des Moines. Philadelphia is a given and when I looked up Hershey, it says it's a town of 12,000 people. Are you sure you know what you're talking about? Here's Lancaster:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ancasterPA.PNG (broken link)

Here's Des Moines:
As someone who grew up in Minnesota, I won't embarrass you with a Minneapolis skyline picture then. I do believe Des Moines is an under-rated city, though. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia would be the only cities in PA with more to do than Des Moines. Des Moines has improved.

Last edited by chessgeek; 04-01-2014 at 10:15 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 AM

31 posts, read 47,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Again, let's not play Freud here. It's something done way too often by the pro-DSM crew.

You don't like Des Moines as much as we do! Then you have serious mental issues! Please, it is so ridiculous.
Ronnie may I ask where are you from?

Old 04-05-2014, 05:11 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,929,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciaFreeman View Post
Ronnie may I ask where are you from?
Ronnie doesn't like Des Moines. But the fact is, he is here to repetitively tell everybody (that visit the forum or those that like the place) how bad it is. He calls the Des Moines fans wrong and will call them out as haters because they do like it there. It's kinda bizarre actually. The place isn't for him, so he should leave. Probably some kind of hurt or agenda or something.

If you are looking for NYC or Minneapolis or an ocean or mountain, then why even move there? I think Des Moines has plenty of options and variations of things to do for most common people. Opera, Symphony, concerts, Division 1 universities, an entertainment district, an amusement park, arts, events, shows, live music, water sports, good restaurants, good quality of life, good educational system..

That is good enough for 90% of all people. For the remaining 10%, there is Denver, Seattle, Cali, NYC or whatever.. But for the common man looking for a good array of quality entertainment and a good standard of living, then Des Moines (and Omaha )really is one of the few paradise cities in the US.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:33 PM

31 posts, read 47,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Ronnie doesn't like Des Moines. But the fact is, he is here to repetitively tell everybody (that visit the forum or those that like the place) how bad it is. He calls the Des Moines fans wrong and will call them out as haters because they do like it there. It's kinda bizarre actually. The place isn't for him, so he should leave. Probably some kind of hurt or agenda or something.

If you are looking for NYC or Minneapolis or an ocean or mountain, then why even move there? I think Des Moines has plenty of options and variations of things to do for most common people. Opera, Symphony, concerts, Division 1 universities, an entertainment district, an amusement park, arts, events, shows, live music, water sports, good restaurants, good quality of life, good educational system..

That is good enough for 90% of all people. For the remaining 10%, there is Denver, Seattle, Cali, NYC or whatever.. But for the common man looking for a good array of quality entertainment and a good standard of living, then Des Moines (and Omaha )really is one of the few paradise cities in the US.
I was wondering what was going on with some of the comments, I think there is plenty to do in Des Moines........but then again I guess it all depends on what exactly you are interested in.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:59 PM

387 posts, read 549,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciaFreeman View Post
I was wondering what was going on with some of the comments, I think there is plenty to do in Des Moines........
Compared to Fort Dodge, yes.

Compared to any actual big city...no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa