U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2007, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
16,255 posts, read 28,401,498 times
Reputation: 21651

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan View Post
is iowa boring? i wouldn't know since i've never been there, but there doesn't seem to be much except the outdoors and des moines. just want to know what u can do there and if you would be satisfied with entertainment.

I haven't been there since 1998 on a short visit. I did live there from 1985 till 1987. As far as I know the fun stuff is watching the corn grow. Also there is ice fishing. They have these cool ice towns set up on the ice and the people hang out there and do who knows what. Maybe they are out there drinking beer waiting for the fish to jump out of the ice. They used to have lots of Bowling alleys if that answers your question. I guess if you like bowling that is cool. To tell you the truth though I like the state. The people are great. Just don't look for a lot to do unless you are in key areas. I like Ceder Rapids a lot, The down town is cool, walkways in the sky to walk between tall buildings. I also like Waterloo and Ceder Falls. Lots of beautifull land as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2007, 03:49 PM
 
28,703 posts, read 42,057,397 times
Reputation: 37520
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I haven't been there since 1998 on a short visit. I did live there from 1985 till 1987. As far as I know the fun stuff is watching the corn grow. Also there is ice fishing. They have these cool ice towns set up on the ice and the people hang out there and do who knows what. Maybe they are out there drinking beer waiting for the fish to jump out of the ice. They used to have lots of Bowling alleys if that answers your question. I guess if you like bowling that is cool. To tell you the truth though I like the state. The people are great. Just don't look for a lot to do unless you are in key areas. I like Ceder Rapids a lot, The down town is cool, walkways in the sky to walk between tall buildings. I also like Waterloo and Ceder Falls. Lots of beautifull land as well.
In keeping with this incisive post I will praise Oxnard, California for what it is best known for: Strawberries and Lima Beans. Sounds like real go-getter place, there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2007, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
1,744 posts, read 6,781,340 times
Reputation: 1210
I like strawberries.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2007, 06:01 PM
 
166 posts, read 578,433 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan View Post
is iowa boring? i wouldn't know since i've never been there, but there doesn't seem to be much except the outdoors and des moines. just want to know what u can do there and if you would be satisfied with entertainment.
Yes!

It was great growing up in Iowa City, IA, but as an adult in Cedar Rapids, IA it is awful. My family left this state when I was 13, so I have experienced living in other parts of the country, and seriously regret returning. ...but I am not aswering your question as much as trying to convince you not to bother coming here.

It is very boring. I have a small child and do go to Des Moines to entertain him on the weekends. That is a four hour round trip. Come on Cedar Rapids - get it together!

For adult activity - do you like to watch TV?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2007, 08:26 PM
 
Location: in the general vicinity of Cedar Rapids, Iowa
296 posts, read 1,194,250 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Iowa View Post
It is very boring. I have a small child and do go to Des Moines to entertain him on the weekends. That is a four hour round trip. Come on Cedar Rapids - get it together!
What do you do in Des Moines?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2007, 09:42 PM
 
166 posts, read 578,433 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwardGirl View Post
What do you do in Des Moines?
My son LOVES the childrens museum there - and they really do a good job on rotating in a new exhibit every few months, and the standard exhibits are all hits. When the weather is nice, Blank Park Zoo is great...its small enough that you can do the whole thing. Also, Des Moines actually has restaraunts - I mean more than the chains that are more common in my neck of Iowa.

...This is not to say Iowa City/Coralville doesn't have a lot to offer...I just found Des Moines a surefie hit for a day or weekend trip.

I don't know what I would do there on a kid-free night though - other people here might.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2007, 09:54 PM
 
204 posts, read 944,884 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwardGirl View Post
What do you do in Des Moines?
I was going to ask the same question, but figured it wasn't worth tying up valuable bandwidth. Unless his small child is fascinated by the inner-workings of the insurance industry or likes hanging out with Chet Culver, I'm not sure what the four-hour round trip is all about.

Most small children can be easily pacified with a trip to Chuck E. Cheese. I'm sure the trek to Collins Road is a little shorter than four hours.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2007, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
1,744 posts, read 6,781,340 times
Reputation: 1210
Did someone from Des Moines abuse you as a child or something?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2007, 10:05 PM
 
166 posts, read 578,433 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
Please do expand on how you perceive Iowa as "backwards". Be as specific as you care to and please do provide examples.
Calm down Pepe.

Please provide specific examples as to how Iowa is forward-moving & forward thinking. Rather than give every person a negative reputation rating and comment of "Troll" simply because they do not like Iowa, why don't you educate us all on why it is so great. You do realize that the former only reiterates the anti-Iowa sentiment, don't you? This is a forward thinking, rhetorical question.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2007, 12:13 AM
 
166 posts, read 578,433 times
Reputation: 38
Question Chucky Cheese? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
I was going to ask the same question, but figured it wasn't worth tying up valuable bandwidth. Unless his small child is fascinated by the inner-workings of the insurance industry or likes hanging out with Chet Culver, I'm not sure what the four-hour round trip is all about.

Most small children can be easily pacified with a trip to Chuck E. Cheese. I'm sure the trek to Collins Road is a little shorter than four hours.
mfrerkes, I would like to know how the value of an educational + entertaining trip to the childrens museum in Des Moines is of less value than giving a toddler a bunch of pizza to eat? What else can you share of Cedar Rapids that may be of a more...intellectual value than eating at a chain resaraunt, which I specifically mentioned in my post above as a boring downside of this area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top