U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 03:41 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,376,232 times

Advertisements

thanks Dr. phil!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 03:44 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,782,661 times
You're welcome.

I'm just happy to help out another human being, even if it is only just talking, listening and a simple act of kindness.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:46 AM

639 posts, read 895,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
Do you really think Des Moines is so much closer to being a "Chicago" than a "Cedar Rapids"???
A few things:

1) It is really silly to use Chicago as an example in this kind of argument. I mean, it's the 3rd largest city AND metro in the whole nation. There really aren't that many cities/metros in the U.S. that can compete with or even come close to that.

2) DSM is still very different from CR. Their economies are very different for example. DM has an insurance/financial based economy. CR, though seems to have several electricity companies, still has a lot of industry. I don't think DSM even has half as much industry as CR (maybe I exaggerated a bit, but it could have been less) yet it is like twice as big (at least the metro is anyway). Also, DSM seems to qualify more for a booming economy (at least by Iowa standards) than CR. That's not to say CR isn't growing, it's just not "booming". Now if you were to say the difference between DSM and Omaha was like splitting hairs, that would be much more accurate. You wouldn't consider the difference between Omaha and CR to be "splitting hairs" would you?

3) It's not just about having a bigger zoo or AAA-baseball. I think DSM offers a lot more because of its economy, not just because of its size difference. But that's just my opinion I guess.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:23 PM

I will say that Iowa doesn't offer as much as some other places (and more than some others), but one thing that does trouble me is that it seems like a substancial amount of people who complain that Iowa is boring, backwards, uneducated and uncultured fit the following demographic:

1. They play a lot of video games.

2. They listen to Limp Bizkit.

3. They drink Bud Light

4. They struggled to get a high school diploma

5. Their diet consists of Hot Pockets and fast food.

I'm not saying that's anyone here (that I know of), it's just hard to take this sort of criticism from people of that ilk.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:58 PM

196 posts, read 727,615 times
Stevie, you are totally on target.

DM's numbers are very similar to Omaha's, but very different than CR's.

The DM Metro population growth has averaged between 10K-15K per year since 2000. Which is a little more than Omaha has averaged and much more than CR (CR metro has averaged between 1K-2K per year).

Construction in the DM Metro has been around 8-10 times more than CR each year since 2000. It has also been slightly ahead of Omaha (300K more people).

Both DM and Omaha have had major private & public construction projects in their downtown areas valued in the billions (also suburban). For example, both built major convention centers and arenas. (although Omaha's is getting the most major tours currently)

Both Omaha & DM regularly make the top places to locate in Forbes Magazine and also in a top business relocation magazine.

So, there is a bit of a heated rivalry between DM and Omaha. Although if you go to the Omaha Zoo, you'll see a lot of license plates from DM metro counties as well as Nebraska plates at Adventureland.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:40 PM

28,703 posts, read 42,077,133 times
http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs13/f/20...iHitchcock.gif

Old 11-25-2007, 04:59 PM

195 posts, read 1,007,127 times
I really don't know if IA is boring.. although I live here. I am sometimes bored, but I think it is more about the person than the place. Or maybe not- when I first joined here and wrote some posts that most likely make IA sound like the worst destination of all time, I lived in a town in the 2,000 range in IA. Now I wouldn't say much of that stuff, and I moved to another town in IA that is more the 10,000 range. What can I say?? I was bored stiff in the 2,000 town, but really enjoy the bigger one. I think the advice is, live where you don't find it to be boring.. and for some people, all of IA would be too boring. For me, it is just the tiny towns that are boring places. I am a big fan of where I live now.. and stopped reading all the forums on here about other states and didn't want to move so much to another state. I think the bigger towns in IA are nice places with some, but not too much stuff. ( I'm not a city person).

Old 11-25-2007, 08:33 PM

166 posts, read 578,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I will say that Iowa doesn't offer as much as some other places (and more than some others), but one thing that does trouble me is that it seems like a substancial amount of people who complain that Iowa is boring, backwards, uneducated and uncultured fit the following demographic:

1. They play a lot of video games.

2. They listen to Limp Bizkit.

3. They drink Bud Light

4. They struggled to get a high school diploma

5. Their diet consists of Hot Pockets and fast food.

I'm not saying that's anyone here (that I know of), it's just hard to take this sort of criticism from people of that ilk.
Ryan,

Since I am one of the mostly-anti-Iowa perps (although I have posted positively about parts of IA I love), perhaps a better way to phrase my experience is to ask:

1. Does anyone know of community centered groups looking for members in the CR area? I'm looking for recommendations from experience, not something you saw on the web.
2. As a CR resident, what can I do to help bring change to the area - i.e. does anyone know why the Quad Cities, DMS, & Iowa City are building up their downtowns with condos, brownstones, and businesses that attract a young professional population, but CR rejected by vote this type of development.
3. Has/does anyone here live in CR - what do they do for fun?

For the record, the last video game I played was Mario Brothers 1, sometime in the very early 90's, the most music I listen to is the Sesame Street theme song, the next time I have a beer is likely in the next calander year - and then it will be a Fat Tire not Bud Light, I've earned a bachelors degree, & I don't buy/eat/purchase/serve food not sold in the parameter of the grocery store.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 AM

I wasn't accusing anyone here of fitting that description, but it seems like Iowa sure does get a lot of hatin' from people who fit that description.

Then again, I'm 26 years old so I'm probably more likely to run into people who fit that description than most people here.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:52 PM

204 posts, read 945,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMGuy View Post
DM's numbers are very similar to Omaha's, but very different than CR's.
True. For example, Des Moines crime rate is higher than Cedar Rapids. Also, Des Moines' average median household income is $5,000 lower than CR. Some people might regard a city with lower crime and higher personal income as a better alternative than high growth for establishing a decent quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa