U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-27-2007, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Ne
884 posts, read 827,846 times
Reputation: 119

Advertisements

How can any comparison between DSM and CR be drawn? The cities are in 2 different classes and Cedar Rapids has done very little to assume any changes are imminent anyway. Sorry, I just don't get this whole comparison.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2007, 06:46 PM
 
204 posts, read 945,096 times
Reputation: 73
I see. It's only acceptable to point out statistics that make Des Moines look good and Cedar Rapids look bad? And I'm the one with the complex?!?!

Anybody who makes a statistical argument which shows Cedar Rapids has some advantages over Des Moines is in "denial". Its interesting to hear that somebody who lives in a city with so much to do like Des Moines, also has time to psychoanalyze complete strangers over the Internet...on a nightly basis!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 04:38 AM
 
196 posts, read 727,615 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
True. For example, Des Moines crime rate is higher than Cedar Rapids. Also, Des Moines' average median household income is $5,000 lower than CR. Some people might regard a city with lower crime and higher personal income as a better alternative than high growth for establishing a decent quality of life.
Most of DM's big income earners live in the suburbs, so if you compared median incomes for the two metros, it would probably tell a different story. The city of DM makes up less than half the total metro population. Nice try though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 05:51 AM
 
204 posts, read 945,096 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMGuy View Post
Most of DM's big income earners live in the suburbs, so if you compared median incomes for the two metros, it would probably tell a different story. The city of DM makes up less than half the total metro population. Nice try though.
Yes, and the CITY of Des Moines has high crime and lower income than the CITY of Cedar Rapids. Not everybody wants to live in a suburb to feel safe and have a decent life.

I guess if you wanted to live in a suburb, the Des Moines area is a good choice. However, if you want to live in a city...Cedar Rapids would be the better alternative.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 11:37 AM
 
639 posts, read 895,958 times
Reputation: 300
What part of "DSM and CR are very different cities" don't you understand, mfrerkes? The point was not a DSM vs CR issue. And I don't recall anyone saying that CR doesn't have any advantages over DSM either.

Anyway, this thread is starting to get off topic. Maybe we should continue this argument on the Best City in Iowa thread, considering that's where this little tirade between DSM and CR all started.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Ne
884 posts, read 827,846 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
What part of "DSM and CR are very different cities" don't you understand, mfrerkes? The point was not a DSM vs CR issue. And I don't recall anyone saying that CR doesn't have any advantages over DSM either.

Anyway, this thread is starting to get off topic. Maybe we should continue this argument on the Best City in Iowa thread, considering that's where this little tirade between DSM and CR all started.

Agreed, comparing the 2 is like comparing a donkey to a Clydesdale
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Ne
884 posts, read 827,846 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
Yes, and the CITY of Des Moines has high crime and lower income than the CITY of Cedar Rapids. Not everybody wants to live in a suburb to feel safe and have a decent life.

I guess if you wanted to live in a suburb, the Des Moines area is a good choice. However, if you want to live in a city...Cedar Rapids would be the better alternative.
Actually the Higher Crime and Lower income is a result of a city with any "significant size" that has a certain population that chooses not to work and chooses to steal and commit other crimes instead. Comes with the territory of being major city. Cedar Rapids will probably never undersand those problems I guess.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 05:40 PM
 
196 posts, read 727,615 times
Reputation: 94
So am I correct in assuming that Jordan Creek is not in your Christmas shopping plans, mfirkes?

If you do make it here, I also suggest driving the extra hour and 45 min to the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha. It is a great place to go in winter with a lot of indoor exhibits and much smaller crowds than in summer.

Then you can visit both cities you love in one trip!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 PM
 
204 posts, read 945,096 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMGuy View Post
So am I correct in assuming that Jordan Creek is not in your Christmas shopping plans, mfirkes?

If you do make it here, I also suggest driving the extra hour and 45 min to the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha. It is a great place to go in winter with a lot of indoor exhibits and much smaller crowds than in summer.

Then you can visit both cities you love in one trip!!!
My brother lives in Omaha and I spent nearly 17 years in and around the Des Moines area. I've actually never lived in Cedar Rapids, but my brother did about 8 years ago...so I'm familiar with CR from my visits there.

I honestly don't think most sane people would register many appreciable differences between any of the three locales. Sure, one might have a zoo while the other has an amusement park...but those are minor differences when compared to the bigger picture.

The only people who seem to think these minor differences are a big deal, are usually the Des Moines or Omaha Jihadists who think any city that isn't their's sucks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Iowa, Des Moines Metro
2,073 posts, read 5,066,831 times
Reputation: 1102
wouldn't appreciate any differences between the three locales??? haha yes because cedar rapids is SOOO similar to omaha!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:38 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top