U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,929 times

Advertisements

I am new to this board. Someone said earlier they did not see how "nice people" make up for "no entertainment".

As a former Iowan who now lives in Virginia, let me give my perspective:

Sure, it's great that you could live in my area (Richmond) for five years and still not have seen everything. Beach and mountains within two hours, DC is two hours away, Williamsburg, amusements parks, virginia beach attractions, multiple aquariums, Baltimore is three hours away...

but before I convince you all to move, let me tell you why we are seriously considering moving back home.

I go into the grocery store. No eye contact from anyone. No "thank you" when I pay for the groceries. No smiles. It is like being a leper.

We take our kids to Mcdonald's. The six year old is a friendly child. He goes up to a kid we don't know and starts talking. The mother makes no eye contact with me or my child, and soon she stands up and tells her child it's time to go.

We have been going to the same church for five years. We dress appropriately, behave appropriately, the church is appropriate (Baptist, a must here). We smile, for the most part no one smiles back. conversations are strained. my husband thought he recognized someone there from work once, went to talk to the guy and shake his hand after church, realized he didn't know the guy after he'd already stuck his hand out and smiled, the guy rather than shake my husband's hand takes a step backward and looks horrified...in five years we have gotten to know exactly two other couples.

There is a distinctly unhealthy lack of personal warmth here. It is easy for me to see how the ancestors of such people could have chained humans to trees and whipped them mercilessly 200 years ago. I moved here with such an open mind, believing all Americans to be essentially warm, nice people. I was wrong. I have grown to hate this place.

You know how Iowans embrace humility? Southerners embrace the opposite, pretentiousness. Would you believe that women in the South wear cocktail dresses to football games? And bring china and crystal to tailgates, where they eat finger sandwiches? I s*** you not. Check out the Time magazine article on tailgating from two or three weeks ago.

My husband hated Iowa his entire life "there was nothing to do there". Now he actually wants to move back. He is begging me, I have been refusing because moving is a pain in the tail. But ultimately, people and relationships are all that matters. You can get the beach and the mountains on vacation (which, actually, is for the most part when Richmonders get it too).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 09:07 PM

204 posts, read 944,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i380valley View Post
wouldn't appreciate any differences between the three locales??? haha yes because cedar rapids is SOOO similar to omaha!
I said MANY differences, not ANY differences. If you're going to take one of my statements out of context, at least quote it properly.

There are some differences between Omaha and Cedar Rapids. But those differences wouldn't resgister as significant to someone from, say New York City or Los Angeles...where the scale of amenities is so much higher than anything either city has.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:57 AM

296 posts, read 1,194,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdr View Post
My husband hated Iowa his entire life "there was nothing to do there". Now he actually wants to move back. He is begging me, I have been refusing because moving is a pain in the tail. But ultimately, people and relationships are all that matters. You can get the beach and the mountains on vacation (which, actually, is for the most part when Richmonders get it too).
Thanks for the great post -- there's nothing like hearing it from people who have been there.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:14 AM

884 posts, read 827,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
I said MANY differences, not ANY differences. If you're going to take one of my statements out of context, at least quote it properly.

There are some differences between Omaha and Cedar Rapids. But those differences wouldn't resgister as significant to someone from, say New York City or Los Angeles...where the scale of amenities is so much higher than anything either city has.
Lol, bring an international city into the mix? thats weird

Old 11-30-2007, 06:34 AM

204 posts, read 944,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Lol, bring an international city into the mix? thats weird
No. Weird is thinking the universe consists solely of Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, and Omaha. Weird is thinking that people from a much larger city would view Des Moines and Cedar Rapids as a night-and-day comparison. Weird is getting all bent out of shape when somebody else dares to defend Cedar Rapids in these ridiculous p*ssing contests, usually initiated by a Des Moines or Omaha poster.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:48 AM

884 posts, read 827,546 times
Quote:
No. Weird is thinking the universe consists solely of Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, and Omaha. Weird is thinking that people from a much larger city would view Des Moines and Cedar Rapids as a night-and-day comparison. Weird is getting all bent out of shape when somebody else dares to defend Cedar Rapids in these ridiculous p*ssing contests, usually initiated by a Des Moines or Omaha poster.

No, it's much more simple than that sparky, I'm simply pointing out that when drawing a comparison it is usually a better idea to compare with something like or similar.

If you read back, that is why I stated "I don't understand the comparison".
Now, I don't think anyone here is kidding themselves one bit into thinking Des Moines is the world’s foremost city, but they live there! How can you expect them to be fixed on any other city other than the one they reside in?

If you don't like this thread then quit posting.

Also, yes, there is a night and day difference between CR and DSM. You are clinically blind if you can't tell the difference.

Now please go away and waist your time comparing New York to Lubbock, Texas or something like that.

Thanks!

Old 11-30-2007, 10:20 AM

639 posts, read 895,752 times
Good job Steve_W and well put.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:57 PM

2,073 posts, read 5,066,219 times
Thanks steve_w

Old 11-30-2007, 04:25 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,781,860 times
Quote:
No. Weird is thinking the universe consists solely of Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, and Omaha. .

Well, you know, we are on a forum to discuss Iowa.....

Old 12-04-2007, 06:49 PM

534 posts, read 1,472,735 times
Hubby and I moved to CR 3 years ago from the Milwaukee area. This city is a total bore. It is so far behind times, it isn't even funny.

The whole town shuts down the minute a snowflake falls. I couldn't believe the first winter we were here and schools were closing BEFORE it even began to snow. Being from Milwaukee, we are tough winter people and you would need a blizzard for a school to close. I'm glad we don't have kids, they would never be in school in the winter. The plowing here stinks!

I consider this town a town you would have to be born in to love. Don't even get me started on Westdale Mall, what a joke. Moving here, I didn't realize that the nearby towns would have NOTHING.
Example:
If Cedar Rapids were Milwaukee, Ely would have just as much shopping, food and schools as Cedar Rapids.

I understand that Milwaukee is bigger then CR, but if CR actually had money, this town could be something. I for one wouldn't mind my taxes being raised a bit if it meant it would go to something new here.

I find it funny to read how "nice" everyone is in Iowa. I do see a difference here and there, but yet when we moved into our house, no one came and welcomed us. We live in a nice looking neighborhood and the one person I've talked to the most, is the guy flipping the house next door to us.

We can't stand the way people take care of their homes/yards. People must think we are crazy by the way we treat our grass, we have the nicest on the block. That stems from being in Wisconsin. Is it so hard to cut your grass, rake your leaves, shovel your snow? I've never seen so many yards that have weeds for grass, what a shame. We don't know why you would invest in a house and not take care of it.

When I discovered I would have to pay for parking at the library, I knew this town had some serious issues.

We moved for a job promotion for my husband. If we had to do it all over again, it would never have happened. We will not retire here(long ways from that), and are counting the days for when we move back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa