U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 05:29 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,326,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Malone View Post
Well Florida is flat, hot, and humid. I think the geography and 4 season weather might be nice change of pace.

I thought Tulsa, Ok was beatiful. Iowa can't be much more plain than that, can it?
In my personal opinion, Iowa is a nice place to live, but I would not brag about the geography. At least Florida has beaches. Central Iowa has next to nothing for bodies of waters, not even decent lakes or rivers.

Coming from Florida, you might have a different perspective, but I personally think the geography sucks out here. However, it is a nice, relaxing place to live.

If you seek simple living, then Iowa has a lot offer. If you seek geography, then Central Iowa does not offer it.

Let's get real, this is the Midwest. You don't move out here for the geography or the weather.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 05:57 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,802,224 times
Still, Iowa is not endless "flat and ugly." Check out the photo thread, and I'll try to make time to post some shots from the bike paths.

//www.city-data.com/forum/iowa/...to-thread.html

Old 10-22-2013, 02:56 PM

26 posts, read 32,505 times
I grew up in Boone and wouldn't recommend it. People nickname it the meth capitol.

Ames is the best place for a family. There is shopping, resturaunts, and has a GREAT school system. They offer year round athletics and great recreation programs.

I would recommend googling algor property management for a place to live

Old 10-22-2013, 06:24 PM

231 posts, read 267,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1107 View Post
I grew up in Boone and wouldn't recommend it. People nickname it the meth capitol.

Ames is the best place for a family. There is shopping, resturaunts, and has a GREAT school system. They offer year round athletics and great recreation programs.

I would recommend googling algor property management for a place to live
Yea we have pretty much settled on Ames. Being closer to Des Moines and the university will be worth it.

I emailed algor property. Hopefully they will get back to me with some info.

We will probably take a little mini vacation up there soon a few days to look around at places to live and get a feel for good areas also.

Thanks

Last edited by Juice Malone; 10-22-2013 at 07:02 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 07:08 PM

Oh by the way does anyone know how the area east off of Grand Ave is, near Ames High School?

Old 10-31-2013, 12:50 PM

Ok well things have changed a bit. We are 100% going to be in iowa in about 3 weeks, but the start up that my wife will be working on will be in Ankeny not Story City. I think Im going to abandon this thread and create a new one in the Des Moines section.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 AM

3,637 posts, read 3,617,109 times
Ankeny is a large (by Iowa standards) suburb of around 49,000 residents as of the latest estimate. It grew by over 19,000 people during that last census decade.
Ankeny tends to sprawl north to south along U.S. 69 & I-35 so depending on where in Ankeny your wife will be working & where you plan to work, you could still actually consider living in part of the Ames region, as in some small towns located between Ankeny & Ames if you cared to. The cities are gradually growing together. A small suburb of both called Huxley lies beteen them and is a pleasant small town.
If however your wife ends up working in far southeast Ankeny near I-35 & just above I-80, a focus south or east could be in the cards for you. Access to all over central Iowa in any direction is pretty good from the Ankeny area.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Ankeny is a large (by Iowa standards) suburb of around 49,000 residents as of the latest estimate. It grew by over 19,000 people during that last census decade.
Ankeny tends to sprawl north to south along U.S. 69 & I-35 so depending on where in Ankeny your wife will be working & where you plan to work, you could still actually consider living in part of the Ames region, as in some small towns located between Ankeny & Ames if you cared to. The cities are gradually growing together. A small suburb of both called Huxley lies beteen them and is a pleasant small town.
If however your wife ends up working in far southeast Ankeny near I-35 & just above I-80, a focus south or east could be in the cards for you. Access to all over central Iowa in any direction is pretty good from the Ankeny area.
Yea I looked up Huxley, but the only apartment complex i found there is closed it looks like. Would be a good location maybe. Any info on other places between Ankeny and Ames would be appreciated also.

Her job is just north of Renaissance Park and Otter Creek golf course in Ankeny, not sure if that is considered north ankeny, but I'm pretty sure it is not South Ankeny since it is not that close to I-80 as you said. Some of the best apartments I found were 5-7 or so miles north of her job, so I guess we would be living in north Ankeny if we went with those options?

Last edited by Juice Malone; 11-01-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 11-02-2013, 08:03 AM

3,637 posts, read 3,617,109 times
There is not much else in the way of towns of any size other than Huxley that are directly in the Ankeny to Ames corridor but a small town alternative a few miles west of north Ankeny would be Polk City. It's situated over near the Saylorville Reservoir on the Des Moines River & just south of Big Creek Lake. It would be an alternative if you preferred a small town of about 4,000 people versus actually locating in a large suburb such as right in Ankeny.
I have not been to Polk City for many years so I cannot tell you anything about apartments or the home rental market there as of now given that it has changed tremendously since my last visit there.
Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or