Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:50 PM

249 posts, read 503,967 times

Advertisements

In Minnesota and Wisconsin lake shores are covered with 200k-multi-millions dollar homes. In Iowa it seems the lakes are surrounded by dumpy trailers. For example, Holiday Lake and Union Grove lake in central Iowa are really crappy. Why did it turn out this way compared to MN and WI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 01:21 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
What type of lakes are Holiday & Union Grove? If they are in central Iowa I would guess that they are man-made lakes & not natural lakes given that there is a cut off line across the middle of the state below which there are few naturally occurring lakes. If they are indeed dumpy, could that be a factor in the type of development on their shorelines?
In view of what I have seen of the natural lakes of Minnesota & Wisconsin in dozens of visits, as compared to those of Iowa, I'd say that you have made a generalization that may not be fact based.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:35 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,693 times
Holiday Lake and Union Grove lakes are absolutely tiny lakes. They're not too much bigger than a football field.

Iowa doesn't have the grandiose natural lakes of MN, WI, and ND (lots of them of the glacial variety) but they do have some decent ones, such as Spirit Lake (Iowa Great Lakes) in the northwest part of the state (and there are some VERY posh lakefront homes there to boot). Saylorville and Red Rock are large lakes by Iowa standards, but are manmade and neither really have any appreciable lakefront property.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:38 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,513 times
Union Grove is about a mile long and maybe 1/3 of a mile wide at the widest part, so it's definitely bigger than a football field. But it is indeed a man-made lake in an otherwise kind of nondescript area. There are some decent houses there, but the OP is right about there being a lot of trailers as well, especially towards the southeast end. It's nice enough for an afternoon fishing/paddleboating/birdwatching trip, but if you're looking for a place to plunk down a quarter of a million dollars for a home, you could do a lot better.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:54 PM

Yes, I was exaggerating a bit, but you know what I meant.

Iowa's simply not blessed with the pretty natural lakes its northern neighbors have because the glaciers didn't reach far enough south to create anything spectacular... as I already said, the only real notable, natural glacial lakes Iowa has are Spirit Lake and the Okoboji lakes, and those are in the extreme northern portion of the state. They're solid lakes and all, but they're bush league compared to the gems like Devil's Lake and Leech Lake.

After the IGL, Lake Panorama is probably the second best place in Iowa for lake front property. Unfortunately, it's not a natural lake either. Take away the Mississippi and Missouri rivers and their tributaries, the amount of natural water body surface area in Iowa is absolutely miniscule.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 PM

17 posts, read 28,669 times
Do not forget Clear Lake or Storm Lake..They're also glacial lakes in northern Iowa and part of the same glacier sheet that created most of the lakes in MN and WI.

Natural water body surface area? [rude] Have you seen the number of rivers that criss cross the state?

River Map

Last edited by ElleTea; 10-09-2013 at 07:57 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 10:09 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste13 View Post
In Minnesota and Wisconsin lake shores are covered with 200k-multi-millions dollar homes. In Iowa it seems the lakes are surrounded by dumpy trailers. For example, Holiday Lake and Union Grove lake in central Iowa are really crappy. Why did it turn out this way compared to MN and WI?
Compare any state to Minnesota - the land of 10,000 lakes - see if you might find some descrepancies.

Try buying a home on Clear Lake, IA. First realitor in CL I click on via google. Two listings. $899K and $599K.

Residential Real Estate Listings | Schoneman Realtors

Try getting our more and live a little beyond these two lakes you mention that no one has ever heard of.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyheiden View Post
Do not forget Clear Lake or Storm Lake..They're also glacial lakes in northern Iowa and part of the same glacier sheet that created most of the lakes in MN and WI.

Natural water body surface area? Either you're very ignorant or uneducated. Have you seen the number of rivers that criss cross the state?

River Map
Ummm... what part of tributaries did you not understand? Just about every lotic system in the state of Iowa has its roots from either the Mississippi or the Missouri.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 AM

17 posts, read 28,669 times
and??

Rivers are still considered a natural water body system.

Also, northern Iowa has several lakes that were as a result of glacial action.

Glacial Landmarks Trail

Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 AM

Well no kidding. I was never trying to argue that rivers were not a natural geographical feature, how you misconstrued that is beyond me.

The point I am trying to make is that a very significant percentage of standing water in Iowa (lakes and ponds) is artificial in origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa