Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 AM

14 posts, read 19,538 times

Advertisements

Hello

I've searched the forum for threads regarding humidity in Iowa, most of them talk about summer weather.

I've noticed that the humidity reaches 90% even these days where the weather is 50-60 f

Does it feel as bad? Or the cold weather kinda covers it?

I've concerned cuz my 2 kids suffer from asthma.

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 11:13 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,720,646 times
It's not Atlanta bad but it get close some days.......

Old 10-08-2013, 11:21 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
In the warmer months, what you want to look at is dew point. The higher the dew point the more saturated the air. We get some tropical dew points in the summer, up in the low-mid 70s. THAT is when it feels muggy out, even if the humidity % isn't topped out near 100%. I have compared summer weather (dew points and humidity) to various places like Ft Lauderdale or Puerto Vallarta Mexico and we have had had the same conditions here on many days.

In cold weather the humidity translates to dampness which can translate to bone-chilling cold. The cold feels much different here than in drier climates due to that humidity.

Last edited by ElleTea; 10-08-2013 at 01:17 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 11:42 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
If you're used to a state with typically low humidity such as Colorado you will more than likely struggle in Iowa or other Midwestern states.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:47 PM

25 posts, read 61,776 times
Unfortunately your research is correct. I just left Cedar Rapids after 3 years, the humidity was just a beast in the summer!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:02 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If you're used to a state with typically low humidity such as Colorado you will more than likely struggle in Iowa or other Midwestern states.
Wisconsin has more manageable humidity in Summer compared to most of Iowa as most of our high temperatures are often lower. I think we had two or three days of high temperatures above 90F, not including humidity. MUCH MUCH better than when I lived further south in the Kansas City region.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:03 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Wisconsin has more manageable humidity in Summer compared to most of Iowa as most of our high temperatures are often lower. I think we had two or three days of high temperatures above 90F, not including humidity. MUCH MUCH better than when I lived further south in the Kansas City region.
Congratulations on finding yet another way to point out that Wisconsin is better than Iowa.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:51 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,506,734 times
Spent two summers in Des Moines - it was pretty difficult at times. I wasn't used to such humidity and I felt like I couldn't breath on really hot/humid days. It was like being forced to stay in the bathroom after you're done taking a shower. I would also "pit out" - literally soak my shirt when I'd go outside in a matter of minutes (never do that here). Made me pretty self conscious since the locals didn't seem to have that reaction. Since then it makes me laugh when the Bay Area whiners complain about the summer heat in the Sacramento Valley. They have no idea how much better it is than most of the country!

Old 10-09-2013, 06:57 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
I was unloading relocubes, moving in, during that 90s spell around Labor Day. I truly thought I had taken a wrong turn and ended up on Florida. The first night, I was in very bad shape, and not having much in the way of summer clothing unpacked didn't help. I had been drenched with sweat from head to toe all day.

The second day, I was dressed appropriately and did a better job of eating lightly and drinking plenty of water. I also stopped the outside work when the sun was highest. I was still drenched in sweat and had to take two showers, but it was manageable.

By the second stretch of 90-degree days in September, I was doing a lot better. Not great! But I didn't feel like I was going to die in the near future.

I don't know how it is with breathing problems, but the right clothing and staying hydrated makes a world of difference.

And unlike Florida, there generally aren't months on end of high humidity. But I won't lie: all of the Midwest get stretches where you can almost grab the air and wring it out. I just accept that there are some days I will either have to do outside work early or late plus stay in the a/c. By the same token, there are some days in the winter where it's really too awful to do anything outside. The smart person has both indoor and outdoor projects. (:

Old 10-09-2013, 08:16 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Congratulations on finding yet another way to point out that Wisconsin is better than Iowa.
Look at the average Summer high temperatures for cities in both states and you will notice a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa