Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 06:01 PM

219 posts, read 455,397 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else think that Eastern Iowa is quickly becoming the new "Triangle" area in the U.S., similar to the one in North Carolina? Cedar Rapids, Davenport, and Iowa City could become the major epicenter for a High Tech Corridor along I-80/I-380, connecting these three metropolitan areas together. My prediction is that many Chicago based companies will look to Eastern Iowa as a cheaper area to invest in than the Chicagoland area, and build their High Tech Companies/Business in Eastern Iowa. Either what you may think the future of Eastern Iowa is looking very bright.

The Possible Eastern IA Triangle area:

The current North Carolina "Triangle" area/corridor:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 09:11 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
It's certainly possible. There's an educated workforce and the beginnings of an internet network.

With all the flooding and clean up of downtown CR, would there be enough money available for tax rebates
to motivate companies to invest there? That county has some extremely high taxes. I'm not sure if that's also the case in Quad Cities, although I think there might be a similar problem.

I think that might be one of the factors holding back Eastern Iowa, but it could be overcome.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:50 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
Don't know about a high tech corridor, but can say that the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics is doing a lot of building on the main campus and in Coralville, in addition to their research park in North Liberty. Also, all of the hospital's business offices, now at UIHC and in downtown Iowa City, are scheduled to relocate within the next 2-3 years to new facilities being built in North Liberty to accommodate the hospital's growing expansion.

Last edited by smpliving; 10-19-2013 at 04:14 AM..

Old 10-20-2013, 09:09 AM

82 posts, read 162,532 times
There are a lot of genetics companies growing in this area. I can see a bio triangle of sorts some day. Although the main issue for me seems to be that I see the QC as being separated from CR, IC. It seems to me that iowa city is the brightest in terms of future for biotech or IT growth. Cedar Rapids has godaddy and a few other tech companies that are growing fast, plus Rockwell Collins.

It would seem that the Des Moines area has the best chance of seeing measurable high tech continued expansion with the base that's already there.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:19 PM

219 posts, read 455,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
It's certainly possible. There's an educated workforce and the beginnings of an internet network.

With all the flooding and clean up of downtown CR, would there be enough money available for tax rebates
to motivate companies to invest there? That county has some extremely high taxes. I'm not sure if that's also the case in Quad Cities, although I think there might be a similar problem.

I think that might be one of the factors holding back Eastern Iowa, but it could be overcome.
I'm sure those companies would set up shop along the Interstates instead of the Downtown core's of Cedar Rapids and Davenport, We are seeing the beginning stages of this with Cedar Rapids' High Tech Corridor just south of the city limits near the airport and in Davenport north of I-80 near their airport.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:05 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Davenport and Cedar Rapids have that blue collar manufacturing image going on. Iowa City has the medical/hospital image.

I don't see high tech companies moving in. At least not to the point where an "Eastern Iowa Triangle" becomes and actual thing.

Seems like highly educated areas like Seattle, Pittsburgh and places like Austin would be too much competition.

Tho' it'd be nice and I hope something like that can happen for that area.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:00 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
Rockwell Collins moved about 400 employees to downtown CR a couple years ago. Intermec built a new building downtown, and I believe Ruffalo Cody, though I could be wrong about RC. The University of Iowa has an extension of their MBA program downtown, Wellmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield has a new building, and TrueNorth renovated the flooded library next to the new Federal Building. So it's encouraging to see the progress going on downtown after the 2008 flood.

Last edited by smpliving; 11-09-2013 at 06:13 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 01:27 PM

13 posts, read 20,471 times
Yes if you pretend.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:39 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
^^^ This @ 4:27

No, it's not becoming the "new 'Triangle' area in the U.S."
I wish that it were but it's just not.
That being said, I don't mean to infer that it does not have it's attributes & some hi tech business but the "the" is not appropriate in the phrase given the number of major hi tech centers already in existence elsewhere.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:17 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Maybe for Iowa it is, at least the Iowa City area is driving ahead and Cedar Rapids is holding above water. Quad Cities are just wading along.

As for national, I don't think it's anywhere near as ready for that yet. In Chicago the huge pull right now is towards downtown from the suburbs and other areas of the midwest. The downtonw and loop area are where it's at right now, especially the pull of young people. I love Iowa, but there aren't corporations in Chicago that are going to pull up and move to.....Iowa. Not meaning that offensive at all, it's just not on the radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa