Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:18 AM

124 posts, read 500,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansVII View Post
I've driven it several times (live in Portland and grew up in Iowa). Take 80 to 84 in Ogden UT - then stay on 84 to Portland, then 5 to Seattle. Worst part of the trip is (all of) Wyoming because of the high elev - and the first 75 miles into Oregon after crossing from Idaho. Take a cell and chk in at Cheyenne for road conditions. You'll be fine.
I agree. I also live in Portland, been here for 5 years, and came from C.R.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 01:19 AM

9 posts, read 25,998 times
Default Wyoming driving

The big problem with highway driving in Wyoming and west Nebraska is wind and black ice. It would be best if you can arrange your schedule to go through Wyoming in the daylight.

Have been on many trips from IC to Salt Lake City on 80 in the wintertime and had at least one near-death black ice experience. Watch out for SUV drivers that think they are safe. If you are driving an SUV -- beware they catch the extra wind in Wyoming extra well.

Take care.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:00 PM

113 posts, read 651,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearringtonflash View Post
My advice--head south on I-29 or I-35, thence south to Houston, and then to California on I-10 and up I-5 to Seattle.
I'd have to look on a map to advise the entire route. It all depends on how much of a glutton for punishment you are and how well you can drive on ice and snow! Personally, I'd consider I-80 as far as you can go thru Utah, then north to I-90 or I-94 as I feel that may be your shortest route. Also, whenever you see curvy lines on a highway map, check for elevations, as curvy lines indicate hills or mountain passes. I'd scrap any plans of going the long way around thru Texas, California and then up to Seattle..., especially with the price of gas in California! I've been all over California, its a llllllllllooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnggggg state from San Diego to the Oregon State line!

However, be prepared for wicked weather on I-80 across Nebraska, because it is well known for ice storms, strong wind currents and bad weather! I drove it once when I was on black ice all the way across Nebraska and the best I could do was 35 to 40 mph.

Another time, I had to pull off the road because of tornado activities in and along I-80 coming from South Dakota thru Nebraska, Kansas and Eastern Oklahoma. After waiting at a rest stop until the weather front had cleared, I went on my way without any further problems.

I've heard truckers say that the wind in Wyoming along I-80 is a problem with empty trailers. But, I-80 is much flatter than I-70 thru Colorado.

Sometime, if you have time, go to a truck stop, talk to some truckers, see what they recommend since they do this all the time, and go from there. Also, plan on possible unexpected expenses. If you can avoid the additional expenses, GREAT, but; its nice to be prepared, just in case! Also, carry a survival kit in case you get stranded! A compass is nice too! A compass is invaluable, just in case you're on flat land with no outstanding markers and you feel like you're driving across Kansas and you get lost!

Another suggestion is to check with the highway patrol and see if there are any road closures you need to be aware of along your route of travel. Keep a sharp eye on what the weather patterns are! Often, this is available at rest stops, truck stops, and restaurants which have TVs, lounges, etc.

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-25-2008 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: aditional info.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:56 PM

113 posts, read 651,616 times
Since I posted my last post in this thread, which was yesterday, I had a chance to look up a possible route in my 2006 atlas. I'd suggest taking I-80 to Ogden Utah, I-84 from Ogden to Pendleton Oregon and I-82 from Pendleton to Seattle. Since you are living in Iowa, I'm assuming you know a little about snow, so even if you encounter some bad weather, you should be able to handle yourself in it.

When I've driven across Nebraska, Personally, I like U. S. 30 better than I-80 because it breaks up the monotony of driving on the interstate. U. S. 30 is a good road which follows the main line railroad line to the West Coast. Its two lane and its shorter on 30, than it is on 80. Also, I like U. S. 30 because you get to buy your gas for what the local people do, rather than at tourist prices along 80. U. S. 30 is kind of mousey between Grand Island and Fairfield, the rest of it is fine. I-80 and U. S. 30 run parallel to each other, I-80 runs the outside curve along the Platte River. U. S. 30 runs along the inside of the same curve in the Platte River. You may need to allow extra time for weather conditions! I have a very healthy respect for black ice and wind! I used to live in Oklahoma where we had a lot of black ice and wind!

The last time I drove across Nebraska, it was all black ice and wind..., it was near the end of October a couple of years ago. U. S. 77 from Sioux city to Fairfield, U. S. 30 from Fairfield to a little town shortly before North Platte, U. S. 34 from Minturn to Binkleman Nebraska in extreme S. W. Nebraska which is a couple of towns west of McCook, droping down into Bird City Kansas and picking up U. S. 34 to Byers Colorado, I-70 from Byers to Denver. I started out in St. Paul Minnesota. Bird City is nice, not much there, coffee in the restaurant was only 25 cents. I gave the waitress a two dollar tip, told her it was easily worth it.

Bird City is named after all the birds you'll find resting on the highway. Lots and lots, and lots and lots of them.

Also, expect to pay more for gas in Nebraska than you do in Iowa or Wyoming.

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-26-2008 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: adtl info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa