Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 03:31 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times

Advertisements

Stella's is kind of cool, another place with the 50's vibe. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's way out there (for me).

Last time I went there, I was in the mood for something ice cream/desert related and honestly their shake menu didn't do much for me at all. Potato chip and peanut butter shake? No thanks. It didn't seem like they had much that was intentionally good.

Now Drake Diner's chocolate cake shake.... Oh man, that's good.

I'd like to check out the 5 & Diner for lunch as I only had breakfast there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 04:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Big fan of The Tavern pizza. F&O's for deep dish. Lacona's, yes! Loved Southtown Pizza when Mop and Pop ran it (Was that really 35 years ago?). Really miss them, and the Hawaiian pizza they made for me.

Went to Court Avenue Brewery last week. Hadn't been there for quite a while (don't go downtown anymore). Had pork tenderloin medallions, mashed taters and a red cabbage concoction that could have passed for a dessert. Man that was good! Guess I'll be going downtown more often. Oh, yeah and a really, really good stout. Wife had fish and raved over it. Yep, goin' back.

Last time I was at Latin King? 1966. If it's anywhere near as good now I'll go back, no doubt. Think I need to get over there.

Tasty Tacos! Now that one has my mouth watering. Went there all the time when I worked close. Quite a hike now. Fried pepper rings! Aw, man those are heaven!

Old 12-25-2007, 06:42 AM

638 posts, read 974,347 times
Latin King has been around since 1966? Wow.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:08 AM

137 posts, read 612,013 times
Remember Orlondo's on University in the Drake neighborhood? I somehow remeber getting cheap t-bone steaks there with my college buds. I think Orlondo's moved somewhere else in DSM.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:09 AM

296 posts, read 1,283,835 times
I miss Johnny's Vet's Club, out by the DSM airport! Those steaks... that atmosphere! Always the vague aura of dangerous excitement, like Sinatra or someone was about to walk in...

Old 12-26-2007, 08:44 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwardGirl View Post
I miss Johnny's Vet's Club, out by the DSM airport! Those steaks... that atmosphere! Always the vague aura of dangerous excitement, like Sinatra or someone was about to walk in...

I remember eating there as a kid. Didn't it get destroyed in the flood?

Old 12-26-2007, 03:25 PM

296 posts, read 1,283,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I remember eating there as a kid. Didn't it get destroyed in the flood?
I think that was the final straw, but it was on its way out... belonged to a different time.

I'd never heard of Breitbach's, the oldest restaurant in the state, in Balltown, until it burned down on Christmas Eve. Sounded like quite a place. The Broom Factory in Cedar Falls is missed, also.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:58 AM

14 posts, read 56,892 times
Default Cedar Rapids/Iowa City Area

Cedar Rapids and Iowa City offer some great eating establishments that aren't your typical chain restaurants with the same old boring menu's.

CEDAR RAPID'S
1) The Lighthouse Inn- Awseome Supper Club setting, live jazz on the weekends in the lounge, food is outstanding, and the service is great.
2) Tic Toc- Great hole in the wall restaurant/bar that offers great food. Must try their app's. Affordable for the whole family. Tenderlioins are awseome and they have great burgers. This place has been a Cedar Rapids legend for decades.
3) Tomaso's- Best Pizza in Cedar Rapids!
4) Zoey's Pizza- Second best pizza in the area.
5) Marion Maid-Rite- If you are truly looking for an Iowa eating experince, I would recommend this place. Very casual, a lot of locals, and Iowa maid-rites. It's and old school cafe.
6) Vino's Italian- Some of the best Italian in the corridor. Very good food, a bit pricey but worth it.
7) Leonardo's Pizza- This place is a blast from the past. Pleather walls, a shrine to Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack. Great pizza and sandwiches.
8) Granite City- Place is always packed and long waits to get in but worth it. Very good!
9) Hacienda- Great Mexican food.
10) There are many bars in Cedar Rapids. Most offer a great menu with "tavern classics". Burger's, app's etc.

IOWA CITY-
1) Iowa River Power Company- Awseome setting (ask for a window seat on the river). Food is very good and service rocks.
2) The Vine- Although I have never been there, everyone tells me that they have the best wings.
3) Brown Bottle- Have to go to the one Downtown Iowa City.

Wow looking back on my reply it must look like I eat out a lot . My family/friends go out about 2/3 times a month for dinner. When we do we like to dine at places that are locally owned and have a presence in the local economy. I am a very big supporter of small business and one of the easiest way's to support small businesses is when you dine out. I have also found that many of the local dining establishments offer a better product and they care about their quality. If you have a problem with your meal or want to make a comment, often it's the owner coming over to talk to you not some assistant manager that's just collecting a pay check. I hope my suggestions help you out!

Old 12-28-2007, 07:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsruss6399 View Post
Cedar Rapids and Iowa City offer some great eating establishments that aren't your typical chain restaurants with the same old boring menu's.

CEDAR RAPID'S
5) Marion Maid-Rite- If you are truly looking for an Iowa eating experince, I would recommend this place. Very casual, a lot of locals, and Iowa maid-rites. It's and old school cafe.
8) Granite City- Place is always packed and long waits to get in but worth it. Very good!

!
These are both chain restaurants.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:06 AM

9 posts, read 26,106 times
Iowa City:
1. Hamburg Inn is one of a kind. Try getting a malt with an omelet Saturday AM....mmmm.....
2. Linn Street Cafe and Taste on Melrose are great fine dining. Motley Cow feels less formal but just as delicious.
3. Red Avocado is unique and tasty but requires a full evening to experience (slow).
4. The Atlas has great molten chocolate cake.
5. The Bread Garden has great soups and is good for our family because it only takes a few minutes to get your food -- totally required with little kids. Not so good just before closing because they've run out of several dishes.
6. Can't remember the name of the Indian place next to El Dorado on the coralville strip -- great lunch buffet (my favorite way to eat Indian).

-----

I wish more (or any) Iowa City restaurants catered to families (as in, play areas with trains set up or something entertaining). Instead, we just have to bring iPods and books and hope people think their running around is cute instead of annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa