U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:51 PM

166 posts, read 576,621 times

Advertisements

Okay, neutral topic: Where are some really great, unique places to eat anywhere in the state? I'm talking about a restaurant you just won't find anywhere else. Where is it, and what makes it great?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 06:06 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,753,528 times
South Des Moines Italian food rules. I've never had better Italian food anywhere else. It's generally very unpretentious and hearty but good. Thin crust pizza, ginny grinders (we still call them that even though it isn't PC), fried ravoli, really thin onion rings, cavatelli and so-on. A trip to Graziano's grocery to pick up Italian sausage, capacola, spices and so-on is worth it for any visitor..or resident for that matter. Baratta's, Noodles (my favorite pasta and my favorite sauce), Bordenaro's and Scornovacco's are my favorite examples of this kind of food.

Italian food like this isn't something that's unique, it's just something we do well here.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:11 PM

639 posts, read 892,093 times
I love Hickory Park in Ames. I'm not sure what type of restaurant it is but they do serve some of the greatest BBQ food I've ever had. I love the pork ribs, BBQ chicken, mashed potatoes, strips of turkey meat, strips of pork meat, strips of beef meat and a dinner roll. Then (if I've saved enough room in my belly) I like to get the Coffee Fudge Sundae.

Hits the spot!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:40 PM

El Rhino,

Speaking of Italian food, my father (who lives and works in Des Moines) loves to go to this restaurant a lot when he's on his lunch break. I believe the place is called Latin King. Have you ever eaten there? My father loves it but I have never been there.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:11 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,753,528 times
Latin King is a very good restaraunt on the east side, it's a real nice place. If you get a chance to go, it's worth it. I think it's been six years since I've been there. Thanks for reminded me of it, I might have to re-visit the place.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:32 PM

OK sounds good. When I get the chance, I'll try Latin King. Thanks!

Old 11-26-2007, 05:14 PM

166 posts, read 576,621 times
Thanks for the posts guys - I'm glad they're in / near DMS because I'm headed that way tomorrow and Wednesday so might actually get to try one of these places out.

Two places I've grown to love in the DMS area are: Java Joes or Buzzard Billy's. The creole/cajun menu at Buzzard Billy's IS as authentic as I remember from living in New Orleans - and Java Joes has a great neighborhood feel right downtown - with a little hidden nook for the kids to play in while the grown ups can sip their coffee or eat (out) in peace. Also, live music was at Java Joes the time I went, it seemed to be a family brass band from an 80 year old guy to a cute little teenager with bright red hair on the trumpet - it was an awesome find for me on one of my first tripts to the area.

Keep the posts coming on this thread - food culture in Iowa is not talked about enough ... or I'm just not listening in the right places.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 PM

I also like A Dong. It's a good Chinese/Vietnamese restaurant just west of downtown. I guess I'm not sure if it's really "unique" but I really like it.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 PM

Sorry, I forgot to add that A Dong is in Des Moines. I figured it was obvious but I just wanted to make sure.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM

2,073 posts, read 5,047,794 times
Cup of Joe in Cedar Falls is in a really nice small downtown district with a lot to do, it offers access to trails on the cedar river, outdoor brick patio, and a cool vintage feel with their own line of products!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa