Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:57 PM

10 posts, read 32,157 times

Advertisements

Oh and for the op......my husband uses the VA but hasn't been to the one here yet. It seems small. Will report back on that one later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 05:48 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,141,054 times
We are also thinking of moving to Iowa and Decorah sounds just about perfect for us! However we prefer a smaller town with access to a bigger city or town so what are the surrounding little towns like? What about blue collar work for my husband? What about health care I have a 7 year old with cerebral palsy and who is visually impaired& the healthcare is just horrible here in Kansas.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:14 PM

26,376 posts, read 46,255,710 times
^
I would also look at the Dubuque area as well. Might have more job opportunities and plenty of smaller towns nearby.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:13 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,423,000 times
Do you mean you want a smaller town than Decorah or that you want a town the size of Decorah with better access to a city?

If you want a smaller town than Decorah in the same area, the main options are Cresco, Waukon, and Calmar.

If you want better access to a city, I second the vicinity of Dubuque. There are some very cute towns near Iowa City as well.

If you are willing to go into Minnesota, there are a bunch of great towns with good access to Rochester (which is of course a big hospital town with Mayo) and/or the Twin Cities: Austin, Owatonna, Northfield, and Faribault if you want a bigger town; Cannon Falls, Wabasha, Chatfield for a small town; there are tons of adorable little polka dot-size towns like Lanesboro all over southeast Minnesota.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:49 PM

409 posts, read 481,478 times
As a retiree, I'd be interested in knowing how much the property taxes are and if there is good medical care close by. I checked and the housing prices seem reasonable. Also, how much does it cost to heat your home? How hot does it get in the summer. Do you need to run air conditioning? These are all very important considerations to a retiree.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:16 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,423,000 times
I only went to college there so I can't say much about property taxes. There is good medical care in town and Decorah is only 90 minutes from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.

You will definitely need air conditioning in the summer. I suppose you could get by, but you won't want to. There are a few dorms at the college that still aren't air conditioned, and I can tell you those first few weeks of school can be brutal.

Summers are normally in the 80s with moderate humidity, occasionally it will dip into the high 70s or rise into the 90s or even 100s.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:45 PM

409 posts, read 481,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I only went to college there so I can't say much about property taxes. There is good medical care in town and Decorah is only 90 minutes from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.

You will definitely need air conditioning in the summer. I suppose you could get by, but you won't want to. There are a few dorms at the college that still aren't air conditioned, and I can tell you those first few weeks of school can be brutal.

Summers are normally in the 80s with moderate humidity, occasionally it will dip into the high 70s or rise into the 90s or even 100s.
Thanks for the information. I'm surprised that it gets that warm in the summer. I guess it gets hot pretty much everywhere in the summer except for some areas on the coasts. I haven't lived where it snows a lot since I was a child, so don't know how I'd do in that type of weather. I've lived where you get a dusting of snow a couple of times in the winter. Just enough to be fun. I hear lots of older people talk about how much they hate the cold winters in the northern states and they're used to it. I don't know if I'm too big of a wimp to take the cold weather.

It's good hear that there is good medical care in Decorah. It's nice that the Mayo Clinic is relatively close by, as well. Thanks again for your reply.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:06 AM

Is there ample Natural places to escape to near Decorah? I must have woods, lake(s), places to escape Humans... Otherwise it sounds just wonderful!

Old 11-26-2014, 01:12 AM

6,900 posts, read 7,533,198 times
The Decorah area is beautiful with lots of options for hiking (in both woods and fields), canoeing, fishing, and etc. The Mississippi river is just a hop away.

Check out:

Effigy Mounds National Monument Effigy Mounds National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
Yellow River State Forest Yellow River State Forest
The Upper Iowa River http://www.thinkdecorah.com/winneshi...-photo-gallery
Cardinal Marsh Cardinal Marsh State Wildlife Area, an Iowa wildlife located nearby Decorah
and etc.

Bear in mind that the Decorah area is full of us aging hippies and Liberals! Someone who is very conservative or who belongs to one of the more fundamentalist christian denominations would probably not enjoy living here.

Interestingly enough, property taxes are lower in the area just over the border in Minnesota. Home prices are lower, too. (I'm talking specifically about taxes and prices in Fillmore and Houston counties.)

Old 11-26-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
The Decorah area is beautiful with lots of options for hiking (in both woods and fields), canoeing, fishing, and etc. The Mississippi river is just a hop away.

Check out:

Effigy Mounds National Monument Effigy Mounds National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
Yellow River State Forest Yellow River State Forest
The Upper Iowa River http://www.thinkdecorah.com/winneshi...-photo-gallery
Cardinal Marsh Cardinal Marsh State Wildlife Area, an Iowa wildlife located nearby Decorah
and etc.

Bear in mind that the Decorah area is full of us aging hippies and Liberals! Someone who is very conservative or who belongs to one of the more fundamentalist christian denominations would probably not enjoy living here.

Interestingly enough, property taxes are lower in the area just over the border in Minnesota. Home prices are lower, too. (I'm talking specifically about taxes and prices in Fillmore and Houston counties.)
Lol.. I don't anticipate a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa