Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 06:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,276 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for people who live in or near Mount Auburn and speak German.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 08:27 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,069,761 times
Iowa isn't really a land of cultural diversity... I think you may find a great deal is left to be desired.

If I were coming to the US from another country, I would really be focusing on larger cities that offered more amenities. Of course, that is my advice to everyone that doesn't open up by saying "I hate cities, I really want to live in the woods".

Best of luck though, it's always nice to find a local culture where you can express yourself in your native tongue.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:30 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,162,775 times
You may want to try to google "German-speaking clubs, Eastern Iowa," or something similar. I came up with a few links that might provide you a place to start researching possibilities. Below is a link with a few contacts in Iowa (look under the state of Iowa).

http://www.doctorwooff.com/dach/clubs.htm

Also perhaps Meetup.com, or the local universities/colleges ... University of Northern Iowa, or UNI's German department, or Kirkwood/Black Hawk Community Colleges. One of their German teachers may be able to help connect you to someone.

My mother is from the Swiss-German part of Switzerland. She lives in California now, but has visited me several times over the years. In Hazelton (near Cedar Falls) is an Amish community. They speak a different dialect but my mom met one of the shop keepers and they were able to communicate in some type of German/Dutch dialect. The same happened in Kalona (south of Iowa City) where my mom started a conversation with another store clerk. Perhaps networking with some of these people may know someone locally who speaks regular German, etc ... you never know.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by smpliving; 01-26-2014 at 09:58 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,276 times
thank you "rigizug" for your help, I might have started the story wrong. I am now over fifty and my father was a GI who went back after my birth in the States. I've just recently papers of the whole get and i search him whit google. I found him I think at least in iowa, he is about 70 years old and I'm stuck. I do not know how I should conduct myself, writing a letter? call? I had to find here in the forum someone hoping perhaps lives near and can tell me more about him. I apologize if it's a bad english translate with google because I already have many years no English was spoken more. thank you mike

Old 01-26-2014, 04:07 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,162,775 times
Mike: You are very welcome. It sounds like you are in Germany and searching for your father who you believe may be in the Auburn, Iowa area, and how to go about contacting him?

This site has a forum titled "People Search." They may be able to offer suggestions and other info. I have included the link below. I hope it is helpful for you and wish you all the best.

//www.city-data.com/forum/people-search/

Last edited by smpliving; 01-26-2014 at 05:07 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 08:26 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,069,761 times
That makes sense. Welcome.

I'll try to use words the translator can understand.

I hope you are able to get in touch with your father. I think the website link in the previous post may be helpful.

If I were trying to get in touch, I would probably send a letter first. Calling him would be okay also. He would probably be happy to hear from you. Expect him to be a little suspicious at first. If he has not heard from you in decades, he may be concerned that someone would try to impersonate you.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:14 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,661,988 times
Wie geht's Mike!
I'd write completely in German here to you aber mein Deutsch is ganz schlecht!
It was good that you returned here with a second message that clarified your purpose as one of the initial responses completely misunderstood your intent.
There are two very similarly named small towns in Iowa. One is Mt. Auburn in Benton County south of Waterloo & the other is called Auburn in Sac County. I hope that you have the town name correct.
Since you did specifically mention Mt. Auburn, I will give you contact the info for getting in touch with the postmaster at the US Post Office in Mt. Auburn. Perhaps they can be off help to you and verify that the person you are looking for does live there. They may also be able to give you an address to contact that person.
The phone number at the post office is: 319)475-2324
And the address for contacting the postmaster by mail is:
U.S. Postmaster
U.S. Post Office
Mt. Auburn,
Iowa

Best of luck to you in your efforts & let us know what happens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa