Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:42 AM

3,278 posts, read 2,985,752 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are currently considering various small towns for our retirement. We live in Minneapolis, Minnesota right now, and we want to move someplace with less traffic, noise, and crime. We are looking for a place that is quite small, with beautiful scenery and abundant places to walk, hike and bike.

Recently we started looking at Decorah, Iowa, but I simply can't find any information on senior resources, senior activities, etc. In checking out other towns in the Upper Midwest that have similar populations, I have always easily found listings for senior centers and plenty of organized activities available. Looking at Decorah and searching for “Senior Center” or “Senior Activities,” all I have found is a single listing for an assisted living facility. Surely there must be something to do for seniors in Decorah besides church-related activities? We are not churchgoers and while we don't need to be entertained every minute, neither do we wish to be marginalized or isolated. Shall I cross Decorah off my list as a possible retirement location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:55 AM

2,012 posts, read 3,166,576 times
Just a thought ... maybe Luther College would have suggestions (?)

Old 02-12-2014, 12:32 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,666,080 times
Here is a link to the site for the city of Decorah. There is a "contact us" area there, several subsections & links to other local sites such as for parks & recreation, the Chamber of Commerce, etc.
Decorah is an energetic & beautiful jewel in northeast Iowa. The fact that Luther College is a major presence there ads to the vitality & overall charm of Decorah & the Upper Iowa River is an asset & a rugged beauty.
You might find the town to be like a smaller cousin to your nearby Northfield.
City of Decorah

Old 02-12-2014, 01:56 PM

Thanks to you both, rigizug and atler8! I will take your advice and contact both the City of Decorah website and Luther and see what they say. (It just struck me as so odd when all the other communities we looked at had abundant senior offerings highly visible and accessible online, which Decorah does not.)

I just took a second look at their website (thanks for the link,atler8), and I just don't see anything listed for us elderly folk. As I said, I'll get in touch, but to me it bodes ill when other communities make it so accessible and one does not, and right off the bat it makes me wonder if we would truly feel welcome and/or at home there.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:32 AM

Hi, just a follow up. As suggested, I emailed the City of Decorah website, and received a very nice and super-prompt email back from the executive director of the Decorah Area Chamber of Commerce. She mentioned a 55+ Senior Community called Vennehjem (which sounds nice but wouldn't work for us as we have two 80 pound greyhounds and intend to have dogs as long as we are able to do so), a Retired Senior Volunteer Program, and a Senior Center that is open for meals and socializing during the week. She also said that there are many retirees in the Decorah area and that many of them are actively involved with the college.

So pretty average offerings, I guess, certainly from the sound of it nothing that makes me think, "Wow, how fun and interesting!" (which is definitely a feeling I have gotten from other areas).

We are planning a visit in April that will hopefully give us a better feel for the place.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:43 AM

2,012 posts, read 3,166,576 times
Thanks for reporting back! Always nice to hear follow-up posts. Good luck and let us know what you think of the area.

JMO, but I just don't think Decorah or other small towns in Iowa are quite up to par as being a popular retirement destination ... that may be part of the problem.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
JMO, but I just don't think Decorah or other small towns in Iowa are quite up to par as being a popular retirement destination ... that may be part of the problem.
I think you are right. I can have a blind side where I think that something is going to be a certain way everywhere, and then sometimes I'm surprised when it's not that way. I really liked the friendly tone of the email response I received, and I am going to make sure that when my hubby and I go to visit Decorah in April, I am looking at it with no preconceived notions or expectations that it needs to be a certain way, or resemble any other place.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:12 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,111,316 times
Another town to look into would be Pella, IA. I don't know what they have for "senior" activities but there is a college there, it's a cute town with a great town square area, etc. Not sure how small you want to go but it's a place I've thought would be a great place to retire.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Another town to look into would be Pella, IA. I don't know what they have for "senior" activities but there is a college there, it's a cute town with a great town square area, etc. Not sure how small you want to go but it's a place I've thought would be a great place to retire.
Thanks, golfgal! We have just crossed a couple places off our list, so it's nice to have a new place to investigate.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:26 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,554,597 times
Also look into Indianola. It's about 20 miles south of Des Moines. It's a nice compromise because you can live in a small town and still have good access to the amenities of a major metro. Simpson College is there and Indianola holds several festivals during the summer.

City of Indianola, IA > Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa