Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:03 PM

196 posts, read 774,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer1010 View Post
One thing I would mention about the quad cities as a little advantage over DM is they have a better freeway system, only because it is 100% interstate, they have 74, 88, 80, and 280, whereas des moines has 80, 35, and 235 (not counting the SE loop as interstate.) des moines is obviously more densly traveled/developed, but this is just a slight advantage over dsm for possible business and industry. <<could be wrong but thats just the way i see it.

also the proximity to chicago. (a given)
I'm curious why you don't count the SE loop as an interstate/freeway? It is a four lane, limited access freeway. The only difference between it and an interstate is it is not named I-whatever. Whether it is called an interstate or not, it is built exactly like one and serves the same purpose.

Will have to check out the QC's sounds like some cool stuff there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 10:55 AM

459 posts, read 2,220,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
The picture of the Figge Art Museum looks almost exactly like the Holland Performing Arts Center in Omaha. Wonder if they used the same architect?
I agree with you that there are some similarites between the two, but it was not the smae architect. The Figge was a Chipperfield Project and Holland was an HDR, Inc. project.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:14 PM

204 posts, read 1,009,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
I think we're closer to DSM than a lot of the folks over there realize. The problem is here in the Quad Cities we seem to be bad at advertising ourselves.

I'm not trying to start a battle here, because this post was about downtown Davenport. I've just noticed that Davenport and the QC area seem to be getting a bad rap around these forums so I wanted to say my piece.
Having lived in both areas, I can't really tell which one is better. Des Moines has the better local economy with all those insurance companies, but I think the Quad Cities has a more picturesque setting and interesting historical backdrop because of the Mississippi. As far as culture/entertainment goes, both have very comparable offerings. The differences in crime and cost of living are negligible at best.

The notion that the Quad Cities is some dying industrial wasteland is only held by those who last visited the area in 1985. Over the past 20 years, the whole area has been transformed, and that transformation is ongoing. Moline and Davenport both have added marvelous amenities (The Mark, The Figge, The Skybridge, John Deere Commons, etc.) that any city would be proud to possess. Rock Island revamped its downtown with The District and was the first in the Quad Cities to convert abandoned buildings into loft-style housing. Bettendorf's riverfront saw the addition of Iowa's largest hotel complex when Isle of Capri finished construction on the Paradise Tower last year. Every one of "The Quads" has added something very impressive to the area in recent years, and more projects are in the works (Bass Street Landing in Moline, Rock Island-Davenport riverfront redevelopment, etc.)

Your pictures and comments are very informative. Hopefully more people will stop invoking the Davenport of 1985 and update their mentality accordingly.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,647 times
<H1 style="MARGIN: auto 0in">QuadCityImages:

May I use some of your photography posted in this website for the editorial purposes? Thank you.

Joe09
</H1>

Old 02-11-2009, 04:34 PM

415 posts, read 1,732,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe09 View Post
QuadCityImages:May I use some of your photography posted in this website for the editorial purposes? Thank you.
That would possibly depend on what you're editorializing about, but generally yes, if you credit the pictures to me. You can always shoot me a Private Message and let me know what you're going to be using them for.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:54 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,103,550 times
QC is awesome. Large metro, great interstate system, scenery and a lot of things to do. Diverse industries. Each town has its own identity. Des Moines seems homogenous. I really can't tell the difference driving through DSM, waukee, johnston, urbandale or any other suburb. It all seems like the same suburban sameness. Nice looking neighborhoods, but they're all the same.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:08 PM

586 posts, read 2,176,672 times
Did you bother to get off the interstate to drive though Des Moines?

Old 02-13-2009, 07:13 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,103,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
Did you bother to get off the interstate to drive though Des Moines?
My girlfriend used to live there. Drove all the way from just west of drake area until the sprawl stopped somewhere in a cornfield.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:23 PM

586 posts, read 2,176,672 times
You know, I'll hand it to the Quad Cities, they have the finest set of residential architecture in the state of Iowa and some very cool neighborhoods.

I'm not comparing the Quad Cities to DSM in this department, but Des Moines is a fairly large city, did you pass through Beaverdale, Grand Avenue/Ingersoll Avenue, Valley Junction, Highland Park, Sherman Hill, Riverbend, E. Grand Avenue or Dogtown? Any of the urban districts? I will agree that Des Moines doesn't have the most urban built environment around, but to dismiss it all as looking like a homogenous suburb leads me to believe you drove through with pre-conceived notions or a blind fold on.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:41 PM

415 posts, read 1,732,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
I will agree that Des Moines doesn't have the most urban built environment around, but to dismiss it all as looking like a homogenous suburb leads me to believe you drove through with pre-conceived notions or a blind fold on.
I agree, with the Sherman Hill area especially. I thought the area around Drake was pretty nice too, and while I may not have driven through all of the neighborhoods mentioned, I've seen enough pictures online to know that DSM isn't ALL suburbs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa