U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:08 PM
PCC PCC started this thread

1 posts, read 8,126 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I will be moving to the Quad Cities (Davenport) in January. We have been trying to get some information about the area. We have been reading some of the forums and we are kind of confused because some people talk really bad about it and others just love it. We are actually from Nebraska and we are a little worried about not being accepted (some people have talked about the outsiders problem...)....is this true? We are a young couple and we love to meet new people.

Any information about the area would be great. Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 08:41 PM

2,073 posts, read 5,066,219 times
The Quad Cities has a lot of nice areas and there is plenty to do. I wouldn't worry about fitting in, you from the midwest, and your moving somewhere else.... in the midwest. I have relatives who moved from Omaha to Davenport/Bettendorf quite a few years ago and they never regretted it.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:45 PM

33 posts, read 154,985 times
The Quad Cities is a nice small to mid-size metro of about 380,000 people. It has a decent amount of diversity in races and religions. There are jobs, things to do, and fun to have if you use your imagination. If you or your husband are into Mixed Martial Arts, many UFC champions train in Bettendorf at Pat Militech's gym and there is alot of sport fights happening at the "Mark of the Quad Cities". There are nice universites throughout, St. Ambroise, Augustana etc.. John Deeres world Head Quarters. You will be close to Chicago, Rockford, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, as well as other Iowa cities.

Davenport and Rock Island have some shooting and homicides. It does exist but it isn't everywhere.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:03 PM

204 posts, read 944,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCC View Post
Hello,

We have been reading some of the forums and we are kind of confused because some people talk really bad about it and others just love it.
I lived in Chicago, small-town rural Iowa, the Des Moines area, and the Quad Cities. All things considered, I've enjoyed the QC area the most because it maintains an interesting composition due to the lack of one dominant city. The Quad Cities defies the prototypical template a city surrounded by bland suburban sprawl. Its also split 50/50 over two very different states which adds even more uniqueness to the area.

Don't let the talk of crime in Davenport/Rock Island scare you too badly. Having lived in Chicago, I know what real crime is and the QC is definitely not in that category. Yes, there is the occasional murder...but show me a metropolitan area of 350,000+ in the US that has ZERO homicides per year. It doesn't exist.

The natural beauty of the Quad Cities is its greatest asset. The Mississippi River is gorgeous year-round, offering both a scenic backdrop and a rich historical flavor to the region. The first bridge in the US to cross the Mississippi was located in Rock Island. Westward expansion of America literally began in the Quad Cities.

Culturally, the Quad Cities has some nice offerings. The Figge Art Museum and Putnam Museum both attract nationally-reknown exhibits on a regular basis. The Adler Theatre in downtown Davenport constantly gets big-name performers and Broadway shows. The I-Wireless Center in Moline attracts the top concert tours in addition to hosting AHL hockey and af2 arena football. Even the PGA tour makes an annual stop near Moline over the summer.

Housing costs are among the lowest in the country for an area of comparable size. Traffic flows quite smoothly, although I-74 can slow to a crawl between Moline and Bettendorf during the evening rush hour. I would recommend working and living on the same side of the Mississippi River, as bridge traffic can become an annoyance at times. While the job market is stable, the area still relies heavily on maufacturing for employment. This creates a scenario where the local economy can be more prone to recession. Despite this fact, the metropolitan area has posted steady gains in population and job growth over the last 15 years.

I wish you the best in your move to the Quad Cities and hope this information gives you a better picture of what to expect.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:00 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,375,527 times
Surprisingly, one of the DM fanboys hasn't made the comment of "Why are you considering Davenport and not Des Moines"!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:13 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,781,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Surprisingly, one of the DM fanboys hasn't made the comment of "Why are you considering Davenport and not Des Moines"!

Because I think you're really the only one hung up on that issue.

Like I said a while back ago, Ronnie, we're here to listen when you want to open up and discuss your feelings.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:22 AM

85 posts, read 347,920 times
Mfrerkes summed the QC up pretty well. I dont know who keeps saying we dont accept "outsiders." I know people of every race, religion, from every region of the country here, and no one treats them differently unless they act like a jerk. Maybe in some of the smaller rural areas in Iowa they might not be too welcoming, but any urban area is ok.

The I wireless center gets almost all the major music artists. Everything from rap, rock, metal, and everything else, Elton John was just here recently. The Adler theatre has been expanded so they get a lot of broadway shows now. We have pretty much all the major restaurants and food chains, plus a lot of local authentic mexican, italian, japanese, chinese, thai. A lot of the events are based around the Mississippi river, which runs through the downtown area. Plans are in the works for Davenport and Rock island to team up and make a big Riverwalk kind of area in the next few years.

Theres the Rock island District which has a lot of nightclubs, and hosts street fests a few times a year. Gumbo ya ya is a good one with, bands and creole and jamaican food. Downtown Davenport has a lot of bars and clubs too if that is your thing. A bike path was completed recently that goes all the way through the QC from Iowa to Illinois, it is nice if you're into cycling.

The only thing I really dont like about Iowa is if you're in a decent size city you're ok, but if you want to go to another city you have some of the most boring drives ever. All the major cities are spread out kind of far apart. But being from Nebraska, im sure its pretty similar. Other than that the QC is a pretty good place.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:31 AM

204 posts, read 944,976 times
Since I gave a basic overview of the Quad Cities, I really neglected to mention that each one of the four cities has very distinct characteristics from the other. These differences may affect where you chose to live. So here they are in alphabetical order:

Bettendorf - The most expensive place to live in the Quad Cities. If you want cheap housing, this is not the city for you. However, it probably has the best schools in the entire region and the crime rate is super low. It's basically a protoypical suburb with a nice riverfront.

Davenport - A mixed bag, as most cities of 100,000+ usually are. Some neighborhoods are bordering on dangerous (south of Locust and west of Jersey Ridge) while others are very affluent (anything north of Kimberly Road). Davenport has the cheapest housing for the Iowa side of the QC.

Moline - This is the best overall place to live, IMHO. Housing is not too expensive and crime is not a big problem. The best neighborhood in Moline is in the southeastern section, near John Deere's world headquarters. However, there are plenty of nice neighborhoods scattered throughout the western and central areas too.

Rock Island - Definitely the most "old-school" of the Quad Cities. Much of the historical flavor of the region can be traced through this city, and there are many beautiful homes as a result. The problem is the northern half of Rock Island is comprised of many unseemly neighborhoods. The southern portion is very nice, however, and housing is quite affordable.

The Illinois mini-burbs of East Moline, Silvis, Milan, Coal Valley, Colona, Hampton, Rapid City, and Carbon Cliff offer a genuine small-town feel while being directly adjacent to the Quad Cities amenities.

The Iowa side has LeClaire (a quaint, picturesque river town of 3,000) and Eldridge (a growing mini-burb of 5,000) very close by.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 8,007 times
Default thanks

Thank you everybody for all the information. This really helps us and makes us feel really good about the town and people!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,514 times
I'm looking for an area with alot of nightlife, preferrably catering to twenty to thirty something professionals. Also looking to live close to the happenings and spend 150K-250K on my place. A nice condo might work. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa