U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:47 PM

152 posts, read 194,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger1011 View Post
Old General: It's funny you mentioned Omaha as I keep coming across it in my research for the "perfect place." It may just be time to look at it more seriously. The lower property taxes are a big bonus! Here, a 100 year old, 1200 sqft townhouse that needs a ton of work and is in a sketchy area, the property taxes are about $4000.
You can get a lot of house, in a decent neighborhood in Omaha, for $150k. If you're willing to do some DIY work, you can pick them up for less than that.

Do you have kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 02:52 PM

9 posts, read 18,043 times
Yes, I have one daughter that's 2. I was just checking out some pictures of Omaha and it looks pretty cool; not what I expected. Also, there are numerous housing options in our price range! A fixer upper is fine because my husband is a carpenter and I'm actually pretty handy myself. Thanks again for recommending it!

Old 02-27-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger1011 View Post
Yes, I have one daughter that's 2. I was just checking out some pictures of Omaha and it looks pretty cool; not what I expected. Also, there are numerous housing options in our price range! A fixer upper is fine because my husband is a carpenter and I'm actually pretty handy myself. Thanks again for recommending it!
Oh geez, if your husband is a carpenter you could get a starter home for under $75k. That's assuming you don't mind some of the older, historic parts of town.

Hit me up by PM if you want to talk more specifics. I've got a good friend who is a realtor, if it were to come to that.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:23 PM

5,239 posts, read 7,044,220 times
OP, you could live on the Iowa side outside of Omaha, say Glenwood or someplace like that. Lower property taxes and no Omaha city taxes, safer, and a short hop to the city. I live in the SW Iowa area, if ya have any questions let me know.

Or you could look into Ames, Iowa (a college town) and only about 30 minutes from Des Moines. I know someone that lives in Pella, housing is more there than some other nearby towns.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
OP, you could live on the Iowa side outside of Omaha, say Glenwood or someplace like that. Lower property taxes and no Omaha city taxes, safer, and a short hop to the city. I live in the SW Iowa area, if ya have any questions let me know.
Yes, and that is beautiful countryside over there!

Old 02-27-2014, 05:05 PM

30,824 posts, read 2,852,446 times
Meemur said:
"It sounds like your husband is the main one working. I would encourage you/him to line up work, first. You may want to look into Wellston, ND as all those oil field workers need houses and there is a severe housing shortage, so his skills might be in demand. It will be rough living, but it might mean a fair amount of money in a short time, depending on his skills and other factors."
==========================================
Tagger1011 (OP):
I think Meemur means Williston ND, but at any rate I strongly disagree with that suggestion. If you decide to research that town and especially read firsthand testimonies about what has happened and is happening to that town, you'll probably decide it isn't a good idea. Just my two cents.

I think you are on the right track with Minnesota and Iowa. Good luck to you and your family.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:38 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,647,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I think Meemur means Williston ND,
Yes, I did. That's what I get for talking on the phone and typing. Thanks for fixing it.

I know that area is rough around the edges! But I also know several guys in the building trades who are up there now working on new construction and they tripled their income, which was easy to do because they were working less than 25 hours a week in Michigan. But the OP might not think it's at all suitable, and it certainly doesn't meet her other requirements, but it's worth mentioning because of her husband's skills. He might want to make a few quick bucks. Or not. (:

Old 02-28-2014, 01:08 AM

5,239 posts, read 7,044,220 times
But Meemur, housing is expensive up there so it offsets some of that income. Still they do have jobs so I see why you mentioned it.

OP, not that it would suit you or you are ready but I read about an acreage on 2 acres that needed some updating/redecorating, 2000 sq feet and they were asking 45k. That was in Percival, Iowa or right out side of it. Not much there but it's only about 10 miles from Nebraska City, and very close to the interstate. A pretty short hop to Omaha/CB, maybe 35 or 40 miles. This was just advertised as a by owner listing in the local free supplement paper, so it can pay to look at those small town papers if ya would be considering a place out of Omaha proper. There are some nice small communities outside of Des Moines too.

Cart before the horse I know, but you might be able to find a foreclosure that needs some work and that qualifies for a good deal on financing and fixing it up.

Iowa Fannie Mae REO Homes For Sale - HomePath.com

Old 02-28-2014, 06:55 AM

413 posts, read 1,577,707 times
I don't know how much time you'd have to spend in each of the possible states you mentioned, but you could check out the main areas of Iowa and Omaha in 3 days.

Day 1: the Quad Cities area on the Mississippi River, and the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City Corridor
Day 2: Des Moines
Day 3: Omaha

A lot of people underestimate the Quad Cities, are there are definitely advantages to being 2.5 hours from downtown Chicago or O'Hare. With passenger rail coming, you get the advantages of Iowa small-medium size metro living, but fairly easy access to the amenities of a world class city.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:37 PM

20,793 posts, read 55,668,485 times
Omaha area is a great suggestion. I really like Omaha--one of the best zoos in the country there too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or