U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 14,330 times

Advertisements

ok Thanks for your help Meganne.

Any good websites for good car deals in Iowa? Coming from NJ, I thought at first to buy the car from NJ and have it transferred but now I am thinking that it would be better to maybe buy it in Iowa and have everything registered there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 07:03 PM

I have been googling this question but to no avail. I will be thankful if someone here can help me out. I will most likely be in Iowa for a year or two. If I buy the car in NJ, do I NEED to register the vehicle in Iowa? Are there any pros and cons? Do I also need to get an Iowa state license?

Old 05-11-2014, 07:18 PM

3,637 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Vehicle registration is required within 30 days of your having establishing residency in Iowa.
See the link below from Iowadot.gov for more details.
If the link from me doesn't load properly here, try googling "registering a car in Iowa".
Good luck!
Registering a Motor Vehicle in Iowa - Motor Vehicle Division - Iowa DOT

Old 05-12-2014, 07:12 AM

3,492 posts, read 5,285,908 times
Note the key words "establishing residency". Frequently this requirement, as established by the state owned colleges, requires an intent to stay. If you were taking a trip to California for 45 days to oversee some business deals, would you register your car there? Clearly not. So the 30 day rule can be a bit confusing.

If you do not intend to make Iowa your permanent home, then most government policies wouldn't care. If your driver's license will not expire while you are there, I wouldn't get a new license either. Ask yourself where you think you are most likely to be in 10 years. You are not expected to KNOW, but if you think "well, if I was gonna guess, I'd say NJ", then you're not becoming an Iowan, you're just living in Iowa for a couple years to be close to the things you temporarily need to access.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:37 AM

Yeah I am not planning to stay in Cedar Rapids for more than two years. My current license in NJ expires next year. What really are my best options?

Old 05-12-2014, 03:13 PM

3,637 posts, read 3,618,297 times
I may have missed it but I don't see a timetable anywhere above for your arrival in Iowa.
If your license is set to expire before you leave New Jersey, by all means renew if beforehand.
If you desire to retain the New Jersey license for the future after your time in Iowa is over but it will expire while you are in Iowa, then also consider renewing it ahead of your move.
Another factor to consider is the comparative ease of obtaining a license in the 2 states. I mention this because here in Georgia the political party that has a total stranglehold on power in the state has totally turned on it's ear the formerly convenient, well-streamlined & easy renewal in-person process. Now the renewal or new license process is an arduous & complete debacle of time wasting frustration that can take hours to complete! That's what happens when a party that is overly dominant gets involved just because it can at a legislative level & engages in micro-management of basic state functions.
Two co-workers have recently had to take off a full half day from work to complete the license renewal process given that the lines on Saturday begin to form before dawn & are unwieldy.
If you can find out that either New Jersey or Iowa has a better process that serves it's residents well, choose that state as the state you will be licensed in.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 AM

9,411 posts, read 10,376,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Note the key words "establishing residency". Frequently this requirement, as established by the state owned colleges, requires an intent to stay. If you were taking a trip to California for 45 days to oversee some business deals, would you register your car there? Clearly not. So the 30 day rule can be a bit confusing.

If you do not intend to make Iowa your permanent home, then most government policies wouldn't care. If your driver's license will not expire while you are there, I wouldn't get a new license either. Ask yourself where you think you are most likely to be in 10 years. You are not expected to KNOW, but if you think "well, if I was gonna guess, I'd say NJ", then you're not becoming an Iowan, you're just living in Iowa for a couple years to be close to the things you temporarily need to access.
Generally "establishing residency" means a lease/mortgage and employment.

Be aware that while the police may not know how long you have lived in a state with out-of-state plates, but your neighbors will. I have heard more than once of neighbors turning people in for not registering their car correctly.

I have noticed a car in my apartment complex lot with Illinois plates (I am in AZ) and they arrived shortly after I did, so they have been here since December. I could turn them in if I wanted to. (but I have a life LOL)

Old 05-15-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I may have missed it but I don't see a timetable anywhere above for your arrival in Iowa.
If your license is set to expire before you leave New Jersey, by all means renew if beforehand.
If you desire to retain the New Jersey license for the future after your time in Iowa is over but it will expire while you are in Iowa, then also consider renewing it ahead of your move.
Another factor to consider is the comparative ease of obtaining a license in the 2 states. I mention this because here in Georgia the political party that has a total stranglehold on power in the state has totally turned on it's ear the formerly convenient, well-streamlined & easy renewal in-person process. Now the renewal or new license process is an arduous & complete debacle of time wasting frustration that can take hours to complete! That's what happens when a party that is overly dominant gets involved just because it can at a legislative level & engages in micro-management of basic state functions.
Two co-workers have recently had to take off a full half day from work to complete the license renewal process given that the lines on Saturday begin to form before dawn & are unwieldy.
If you can find out that either New Jersey or Iowa has a better process that serves it's residents well, choose that state as the state you will be licensed in.
I am arriving in Iowa in exactly two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or