U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 05:04 PM

4,755 posts, read 6,431,907 times

Advertisements

It's been a long time since I thought about those little baskets we used to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
...but the more traditional route (I believe) is to ring their door bell, set down the basket, and run (to try not be caught).

This is how we we're taught to do it in elementary school. I realize now that my neighbor was only pretending not to know where it came from, but at the time I thought I was slick as hell, had me a little secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:02 PM

40,082 posts, read 19,453,722 times
I grew up in New England in the 1940's and May baskets were very much a part of my childhood. My grandmother saw to that. Traditionally "trailing arbutus" flowers were gathered in the woods....but usually we made tissue paper carnations....and put them in home made baskets and left them on the porches of neighbors. Spring was a big deal after a long hard winter.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:21 PM

3,612 posts, read 3,555,156 times
I went & a did a little reading up on the May basket tradition &, if it's to be believed, the tradition is dying out slowly.
It also seems to have been a regional thing & not a national observance although it was not just commonly found in only 1 or 2 geographic areas in the US.
Variations on the May Day festivities have been practiced in Europe for centuries & their origins rose out of pagan rituals.
The various customs followed immigrants over to this side of the pond & varied by ethnicity, similar to how the Santa Claus traditions vary too.
So, if your door bell rings on May Day, listen for the patter of running feet & break for the door!

Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,637,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
....but usually we made tissue paper carnations....and put them in home made baskets and left them on the porches of neighbors. Spring was a big deal after a long hard winter.
Yes, that was my experience growing up, as well, plus the magnolia tree bloomed about every 4th or 5th year long enough to grab a few magnolia blooms to add to the baskets. Other years, the blooms got frozen.

No, I'm not going to "break for the door." I might trip over my kitty! LOL.

I'm going to leave grown-up May baskets at various places. They will have a pot of mini daffodils and a sandwich card from Subway, plus several individually wrapped candies, which I haven't bought, yet.

I normally don't do stuff like this, but you're right -- it has been a long winter!

Old 04-29-2014, 08:14 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,576,836 times
I do remember May Day baskets growing up in Iowa. I haven't made (or seen one) in years... it's a completely foreign concept in Alabama. Probably a Midwestern thing.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:45 AM

40,082 posts, read 19,453,722 times
If I remember right, little girls in catholic families wore white dresses and took flowers placed flowers or a floral wreath at the statue of Mary in front or to the side of the church.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:36 PM

19,784 posts, read 24,949,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Is May Day still celebrated in Iowa as sort of an informal, rite of spring type of day in Iowa that includes the giving of May Baskets?
It was a looked-forward-to minor holiday in past eras that could involve a Maypole, dressing in costumes, dancing & the giving of May Baskets to children.
I mentioned the day & the baskets to colleagues in the southeast & they had never heard of it.
Perhaps it's just one the midwest-centered delights that can enhance the life of a child.

I live in Ohio and no one does that here.

I think it's a sweet tradition! Like trick or treating in reverse! What does one typically put in a May Basket?

Old 04-30-2014, 05:29 PM

1,649 posts, read 2,358,466 times
On our block, candy and flowers were popular ... Sometimes small gifts such as tiny puppets/stuff animal/tiny toy cars, popcorn balls or popcorn. Flowers were either real or constructed with tissue or construction paper. The basket could be as simple as a paper cup, tin can, or plant pot covered in paper or painted, with drawings. Also construction paper made into a cone with ribbon attached as a handle filled with tissue or real flowers which would hang from the front door knob on the porch.

Last edited by smpliving; 04-30-2014 at 06:44 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM

3,612 posts, read 3,555,156 times
If you google "may baskets" or something of that ilk, & choose "images" & there are nice pictures that show both the exteriors & interiors of lots of baskets.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:41 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,637,967 times
Mine were a success!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa