U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 12:24 AM

261 posts, read 1,245,053 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I grew up in the Northern California mountains, and I am definitely familiar with cold and a ton of snow. But not 0 degrees and below with wind. My husband was born and partially raised in Cedar Rapids and often brings up CR to move so we can actually afford a house without emptying every penny from both paychecks. I've been to CR twice, and I really do enjoy the town, pleasant people, relaxed vibe, but my biggest concern is the weather.

Am I making it worse than it is? I really don't like extreme cold and abhor humidity. I'll do it, of course, because there's more in life than weather, but I now it plays on my attitude and emotions. I don't and won't live in Seattle or Portland because of the rain. I think I'd rather take the cold than rain.

Lastly, I'm a teacher and can't imagine doing playground supervision all of the time when it's so darn cold or humid outside. It must take 10 minutes just to take off all of the bundles of clothing for those little kids!

I encourage honest responses. Give me what you feel.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 08:35 AM

11 posts, read 32,364 times
Hey,

I came to Cedar Rapids about a year & half ago for college so this is only my 2nd winter here, & in my opionion they're pretty bad. Lots of ice.. last year the power was out all over the city for a few days & that was not fun. And we just had another big ice storm here too. It doesn't get THAT cold... like it's hardley ever below zero. The worst thing about the winter for me is getting around, so just get something big & 4 wheel drive & you should be good.

However I do like the summers, I think they're perfect... not to humid or anything.

I'm originally from western Iowa so I'm used to cold winters & everything but I too hate the cold so I actually plan on moving south next year.

-Scott

Old 12-15-2007, 12:28 PM

2,073 posts, read 5,045,623 times
Theyre bad, right now i'm living in Waterloo and that's in the same region of the state. Last winter I went 7 days without power because of a bad ice storm. This winter is off to a bad start as well.

I like Iowa but when it gets down to the single digits/negative temps.... it really does get depressing, it helps that it stays sunny sometimes though, its the cloudy days that get me, so dark and cold

But then again, the snow is pretty!

Old 12-15-2007, 01:26 PM

296 posts, read 1,188,679 times
I think you get used to winter. It's like summer in Phoenix -- you just go from building to car and avoid being outside much! There can be fun recreational stuff to do but you have to be dedicated... we don't often get the deep powder that lends itself to cross country skiing, for example. Your point about the little kids and boots and coats -- and then dealing with all the puddles -- sounds like a really valid one!

But what you said about humidity strikes to the bone. I'm sorry, hardeez1, but I don't know what you are thinking... Iowa, no humidity????? It's true that the air is super dry inside during the winter because we mostly have forced-air heat. But during the summer, it is HUMID. Oh, not like the deep south, but we have humidity. Part of it is the crops -- you can't grow this much stuff without having the air pretty saturated!

But I spent time in California on the high desert as a kid and remember both dry cold and dry heat and how they contrast with what we get, and, frankly, I'd prefer the dry. Not that I could afford to live out there, or would want to for other reasons! But I have to admit to missing the dry. Especially in the summer when I'm trying to get something done outside and look like someone threw me in the stock tank all the time!

Old 12-16-2007, 10:00 PM

132 posts, read 447,698 times
The ice storms of the last two seasons aren't the norm, although they do occur. Actually winters in Iowa have been on the mild side for quite a few years really. There are times when it will get below zero for sure, but there have been 50 degree days in January several times in the last few years. As far as humidity, Iowa has it's fair share and then some. Don't let anybody kid you, there are plenty of days in an Iowa summer with 90% humidity or more, you learn to deal with it, or stay inside in the air conditioning. That's my two cents worth anyway.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:36 AM

11,288 posts, read 23,234,565 times
Yeah, it's hard to explain. The winters are bad - but they're not consistent. It could literally be 58F on Monday, 32F on Tuesday, 8F on Wednesday, -16F on Thursday, 18 on Friday and 40F on Saturday.

It just swings everywhere...

It can easily be below 0 for a few days, then then warm up to the 40's the whole next week.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:23 AM

296 posts, read 1,188,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It can easily be below 0 for a few days, then then warm up to the 40's the whole next week.
Great point, Chicago. With all this ice and snow December's handed us, it's hard to believe that it was so mild on New Year's Day last year that we were outside and comfortable in shirtsleeves -- and I'm sure there will be a period like that somewhere within the next 60 days, because there always is. And that's true of summer, too... we'll have a week of high humidity and temps that are high enough to feel uncomfortable, then air will blow in from Canada and you'll wonder why anyone would live anywhere else.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:10 PM

10 posts, read 26,680 times
I am from VA and this is my second winter here. I am in the west central area. I am not sure how your area in CA compares to VA (other than lack of humidity), but I can give you some ideas.

I am an outdoors person, so I am a weather junkie.

Yes, winters are cold, but not the wet cold of VA. Cold and rain are the pits and this is drier than it was back home. Everyone here says it swings, but the swings are still in the cold zone compared to VA--maybe it feels that way because it is drier here. You also got 70 degree weeks in VA in the middle of Jan or Feb, yuck, perfect weather for getting sick. It feels more healthy here to me.

I never knew it could be one degree with the sun shining until I moved here. Add the 20mph wind and you are really cold. Last year it got to like -20 or -30 with the wind chill factor. Your fingers burn when it drops down to bitter single digits and below.
I am more used to it this year than last. Wear layers and you will be OK. It has been in the mid to upper 30's for the past couple of days and it has seemed warm. You just kind of adjust.

But winter is long here by a month on either end in comparison to VA. This is as far north as I will ever go, even in this state.

We still have the same snow on the ground from over 2 weeks ago. The lakes and rivers will also freeze solid (another thing that never happened in VA that totally amazed me).

What I had the hardest time with is that you get year round wind. The summer nights are also cooler here and overall, it lacks the humidity of VA. You do get humidity, but not for as long in the day and not for as many months.

Hands down, the people are GREAT here, I love Iowa. I wish we had this lack of population and friendly easy going attitude back in my home state still.

Last edited by tielz; 12-21-2007 at 11:20 PM..

Old 12-22-2007, 02:03 AM

11,288 posts, read 23,234,565 times
^ spot on!

Old 12-22-2007, 06:57 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,749,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwardGirl View Post
Great point, Chicago. With all this ice and snow December's handed us, it's hard to believe that it was so mild on New Year's Day last year that we were outside and comfortable in shirtsleeves -- .

Exactly one year ago I was outside in a t-shirt raking leaves from my front yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or