U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 08:21 PM

5 posts, read 5,701 times

Advertisements

My landlord stopped by today and said I had to pay him all the rent I owe tomorrow or he's filing for a 30-day notice. I can't. I'm a contract worker and the business I was working for didn't pay me for May. (As of a few days ago, they said they had to RE-re-issue my check, I doubt it's coming.) I'm working for someone new now, but won't be paid for a few weeks.

My question is ... what now? How many days do I really have to pay rent and leave? I cannot pay it all on the 1st. A friend told me I had 30 days, but another friend told me he will probably file for a 3-day eviction if I don't pay right away.

If you were a landlord and wanted someone to leave, would you want them to move out first or pay back rent first, if they couldn't do both at the same time?

Any advice on getting a new apartment now that I'm being evicted? I talked to a couple of landlords tonight and one hung up when I said it. I'm so, so low right now. If anyone has dealt with this situation, I could really use your advice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 10:35 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,643,421 times
1. Bug your previous company about your check. Can you go there and figuratively stand on someone's desk? Maybe have a crying jag because you're being evicted? (That worked for one lady. Of course, they might also call security)

2. Can you get an advance on the paycheck at the new job?

3. Is there anyone legit who can give you a short-term loan? (avoid loan sharks!)

4. Do you have anything you can pawn or sell?

I'm new to Iowa and don't know LL/tenant law here, but if no one chimes in, you might call legal aid and ask.

I don't know what town you are in, so I can't recommend specific resources, but you might make an action plan if you do get evicted. If you belong to a church, you might want to chat with your pastor. If not, you might look into shelters, boarding houses, etc. Maybe a tent at a local camp ground? (you'll have to move in about two weeks)

Longer term, you might want to establish a savings account with six months' worth of expenses, which is what a lot of contract workers have to do because employers can be extremely slow payers.

I'm sorry that you're going through this! I hope your check somehow shows up in tomorrow's mail.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:22 AM

9,400 posts, read 10,235,579 times
You are lucky you didn't get a 3 Days to Pay or Quit notice. (or called something like that)

Hopefully you can work this out!

Old 06-27-2014, 08:55 AM

3,492 posts, read 5,224,841 times
Iowa is extremely landlord friendly. You won't have rights in the court system. You really don't want to sign a contract to pay rent when you don't have a regularly scheduled income plus a savings account. You might consider looking for somewhere else to live, possibly in another state with a stronger economy (unemployment statistics lie, trust me, I worked with them). If you were able to make the move quickly you might be able to get the new apartment set up pretending you lived with your parents and avoid having the current landlord tell other landlords not to rent to you. Texas is the place that actually has jobs.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:19 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I know I'm lucky the landlord didn't file a 3-day eviction. Right now, he wants me to get out and then pay back what I owe him as soon as possible. It feels like crap, but all I can do now is move as fast as I can. He just doesn't trust my job anymore.

Thankfully that shouldn't be long. I found someone on CL selling a trailer rent-to-own. He does own the property, I checked online, and it's a really nice unit. It's about $300 less a month than what I'm paying now, after utilities are included, so I'll have more than enough room in the budget to start a real savings, plus, after 3 years, I'll own the trailer and I'll only have to pay lot rent.

All I have to do is pass the park background check, which hopefully won't be a problem. If it is, I'm back to square one... so keep your fingers crossed! ha.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:24 PM

7,815 posts, read 13,732,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojus View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I know I'm lucky the landlord didn't file a 3-day eviction. Right now, he wants me to get out and then pay back what I owe him as soon as possible. It feels like crap, but all I can do now is move as fast as I can. He just doesn't trust my job anymore.

Thankfully that shouldn't be long. I found someone on CL selling a trailer rent-to-own. He does own the property, I checked online, and it's a really nice unit. It's about $300 less a month than what I'm paying now, after utilities are included, so I'll have more than enough room in the budget to start a real savings, plus, after 3 years, I'll own the trailer and I'll only have to pay lot rent.

All I have to do is pass the park background check, which hopefully won't be a problem. If it is, I'm back to square one... so keep your fingers crossed! ha.
Um, and do you plan on paying your current LL the back rent you owe him?

I wish you luck, but I hope you don't just leave without making a plan to pay what you owe.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:48 AM

Of course I do, which has been said before.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:01 PM

7,815 posts, read 13,732,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojus View Post
Of course I do, which has been said before.
Didn't mean to insult you (really -- hard to tell tone on the Internet, I know). You wrote that the LL wanted you to move and then pay back what you owed as soon as possible, but you didn't say you planned to DO that. Sad to say but lots of people wouldn't -- once they're gone, they're gone.

I hope the trailer works out for you.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:20 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,643,421 times
Thanks for the update!

The trailer idea sounds like a good short-term solution.

Caution 1: if you are approved, check into how to insure it because lots of major companies hate to insure trailers and can charge an arm and leg for it. Since there is a lot of violent weather this year, it's probably a bad idea to do without it. If you do, have a Plan B if it gets blown away. FEMA may help you after the fact, but it could be 7 or 8 months before they cut you a check, if then. Again, savings can really help!

(Aside: I lived in one in Ohio - I had a "Go Bag" with critical papers and money hidden near the door that I could grab on my way out. I also had a weather radio with an alert signal)

One other caution: where is the nearest shelter? If there is one in the park, fine. If not, what is your plan?

I know tornado danger tends to get hyped, but it only takes one at the wrong time to wipe out your home or cause injury.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:00 PM

Thank you for the great advice!

I'll need a policy for manufactured homes, but my insurance guy is looking up a quote. Renter's was incredibly cheap, so I'm hoping I can get good rates on that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or