Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 04:35 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times

Advertisements

burrrr
Winn-Dixie, as you pointed out at the start of the thread, is a terrible chain.
Based in Florida, whenever they opened a new store in the Atlanta market, it became a dingy, dark & depressing store in a few short years. Filthy actually comes to mind. Not to mention their poor produce with wilt, mold & gnats flying around all commonplace.
Their slogan was "Winn-Dixie: The Beef Place" & yet their meat counter was 2nd rate. It all caught up to them eventually though as they closed their entire division in Georgia due to loss of market share. Since then, the impression I have gotten from the Winn-Dixie that I've visited in Panama City, Fl. in recent years is that it's a horrible & old- fashioned store.
Publix is generally a good notch well above that level in their Georgia stores & Kroger down here is hit or miss but generally on the upswing finally. As a small kid I remember that Kroger was in Iowa as far west as perhaps Waterloo.
The upshot is that after living in Georgia for many years, whenever I ventured home to Iowa or Wisconsin to visit family or friends, I noticed the better quality of grocery stores in terms of super markets up there. It baffled me as to how a major metro like Atlanta could be so 2nd rate in terms of it's stores as compared to the offerings in the midwest. The specialty sections & bakeries & deli areas up there are still way better than what is found down here but the Publix & Ingles chains growth in the Atlanta area have narrowed the quality gap somewhat.
I also know that my mom lamented the loss of access to Hy-Vee stores when she relocated to a town 30 miles southeast of Madison, Wi. in 1987. She actually kept a couple of Hy-Vee cans stuck away as momentos that I found in her kitchen when I cleaned it out after she had to leave to go to assisted living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 06:06 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
burrrr
Winn-Dixie, as you pointed out at the start of the thread, is a terrible chain.
Based in Florida, whenever they opened a new store in the Atlanta market, it became a dingy, dark & depressing store in a few short years. Filthy actually comes to mind. Not to mention their poor produce with wilt, mold & gnats flying around all commonplace.
Their slogan was "Winn-Dixie: The Beef Place" & yet their meat counter was 2nd rate. It all caught up to them eventually though as they closed their entire division in Georgia due to loss of market share. Since then, the impression I have gotten from the Winn-Dixie that I've visited in Panama City, Fl. in recent years is that it's a horrible & old- fashioned store.
Publix is generally a good notch well above that level in their Georgia stores & Kroger down here is hit or miss but generally on the upswing finally. As a small kid I remember that Kroger was in Iowa as far west as perhaps Waterloo.
The upshot is that after living in Georgia for many years, whenever I ventured home to Iowa or Wisconsin to visit family or friends, I noticed the better quality of grocery stores in terms of super markets up there. It baffled me as to how a major metro like Atlanta could be so 2nd rate in terms of it's stores as compared to the offerings in the midwest. The specialty sections & bakeries & deli areas up there are still way better than what is found down here but the Publix & Ingles chains growth in the Atlanta area have narrowed the quality gap somewhat.
I also know that my mom lamented the loss of access to Hy-Vee stores when she relocated to a town 30 miles southeast of Madison, Wi. in 1987. She actually kept a couple of Hy-Vee cans stuck away as momentos that I found in her kitchen when I cleaned it out after she had to leave to go to assisted living.
The only time I find Hy-Vee prices to be good are the loss leader sales on particular items. Otherwise, they tend to be higher priced than the competition, at least in my area.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:42 PM

336 posts, read 575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The only time I find Hy-Vee prices to be good are the loss leader sales on particular items. Otherwise, they tend to be higher priced than the competition, at least in my area.
But it seems that most people here in the midwest are not too concerned about prices. Here in Council Bluffs they are the leader and Council Bluffs is not is not known to be upscale!

Old 07-04-2014, 08:58 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCB View Post
But it seems that most people here in the midwest are not too concerned about prices. Here in Council Bluffs they are the leader and Council Bluffs is not is not known to be upscale!
That would pay more attention if additional competition showed up like Meijer or Woodman's, but I understand your point.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:37 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,252,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That's the way it is with most major regional supermarket chains. Hy-Vee is the Midwestern equivalent of Publix, and shopping at Publix can be incredibly expensive - you'd probably be spending $125-130 on groceries and probably spend just $100 on the same stuff at Wally World.

However, Publix *does* offer some good deals, but you have to be aware of their specials. Every week they have a BOGO (buy one, get one) sale for a fairly decent assortment of items, and even if you just purchase one you still don't have to pay regular price for it. They are advertised on their website, along with their printable coupons (which aren't as varied) and the in-store weekly coupon book. If you go through all these, you can save a considerable amount of money. But just buy the sale items, and get everything else at Wally World.

Not sure if Hy-Vee does the BOGO stuff (haven't been to the Midwest in a few years) but I'm pretty sure that when their items are on sale, it's best to get them there because they are almost always cheaper than Wally World's regular prices.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:41 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
I just bought grapes at Fry's for 75 cents a pound. Try to beat that price at HyVee!

I also bought some sweet corn. I am sure this Iowa girl will not think it is as good as it was there, but I am going to give it a shot

Old 07-05-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I just bought grapes at Fry's for 75 cents a pound. Try to beat that price at HyVee!

I also bought some sweet corn. I am sure this Iowa girl will not think it is as good as it was there, but I am going to give it a shot
Two pounds of Grapes at Publix is about $4.00. And this is in Alabama. If anyone thinks the South is a cheap place to live, they might want to think again. The Midwest is hands-down the cheapest part of the country to live in, and the salaries are usually a bit higher than those in the Deep South to boot.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Two pounds of Grapes at Publix is about $4.00. And this is in Alabama. If anyone thinks the South is a cheap place to live, they might want to think again. The Midwest is hands-down the cheapest part of the country to live in, and the salaries are usually a bit higher than those in the Deep South to boot.
I just bought over 5 pounds of grapes for $4 here in AZ.

I find the cost of living cheaper here, actually, than Des Moines.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:21 AM

Well, as a whole I do believe the cost of living in the Midwest is the lowest of any of the major regions (probably because while not necessarily culturally Southern, DC and Florida easily boost the South's average COL).

PHX is easily among the cheapest places to live in the West but I would have imagined it being more like, say, Minneapolis in terms of COL (in other words, inexpensive relative to the rest of the country, and less expensive than several major metros in the region, but pricier than others).

Old 07-05-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Well, as a whole I do believe the cost of living in the Midwest is the lowest of any of the major regions (probably because while not necessarily culturally Southern, DC and Florida easily boost the South's average COL).

PHX is easily among the cheapest places to live in the West but I would have imagined it being more like, say, Minneapolis in terms of COL (in other words, inexpensive relative to the rest of the country, and less expensive than several major metros in the region, but pricier than others).
I find things to mostly be cheaper here than DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa