Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:22 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,677,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Or Madrid. (MAD rid)
Or Tripoli as TripolUH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 04:14 PM

9,611 posts, read 21,149,007 times
Quote:
I once heard someone say "Dee-suh Moy-nez"

Yes, really.
Was it Jar-Jar Binks?

Old 07-14-2014, 04:26 PM

9,478 posts, read 12,221,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Was it Jar-Jar Binks?
It was someone I called who was in another state, a company. I can't remember. But she verified my address and said it that way. I have no idea WHY!

Old 07-14-2014, 07:11 PM

233 posts, read 371,318 times
Moscow, Iowa is Mah-scoe not mosCOW.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:39 AM

I have to say, I get annoyed at all of these little towns who take a word that is widely known to be said one way, but choose to say it another. Then the people there get annoyed when you say it wrong.

There is a small town in west central Illinois called Terre Haute. They pronounce it Terry Hut.

There is a town here in Arizona called Prescott and they pronounce it Press-kit. DUMB!

Much easier to say MaDrid, MosCOW, Press-cot, Terruh hoat, and not worry about it.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:20 AM

179 posts, read 246,502 times
Quote:
I have to say, I get annoyed at all of these little towns who take a word that is widely known to be said one way, but choose to say it another. Then the people there get annoyed when you say it wrong.

There is a small town in west central Illinois called Terre Haute. They pronounce it Terry Hut.

There is a town here in Arizona called Prescott and they pronounce it Press-kit. DUMB!

Much easier to say MaDrid, MosCOW, Press-cot, Terruh hoat, and not worry about it.
So they pronounce Terre Haute differently in Il vs. IN? Probably so you know where you are...LOL

Since we've ventured off into other states, let's not forget Cairo, Ill pr. KAY-roe

Old 07-15-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLDad View Post
So they pronounce Terre Haute differently in Il vs. IN? Probably so you know where you are...LOL

Since we've ventured off into other states, let's not forget Cairo, Ill pr. KAY-roe
I think you would know the difference between Terre Haute Ill vs. IN. The one in Ill is a teeny little town.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:13 AM

206 posts, read 379,887 times
But "We are from I-oh-way, I!-o-way! Best state in the land, joy at every hand!"

Didn't you all have to learn that when you were little (or moved to the state)? My native Iowan grandfather made us all learn it as soon as we were old enough to sing .

Quote:

This is super common--so common it has a biblical-based name, and a Wikipedia entry (shibboleth). It's precisely so that locals can distinguish outsiders, and I imagine it's probably more common in more insular (smaller) places.

One of my favorites is San Jose, IL--pronounced San Josie.

My brother once asked me if I'd ever been to Doobookay. Confused me until I realized he meant Dubuque .

Old 07-16-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedibes View Post
But "We are from I-oh-way, I!-o-way! Best state in the land, joy at every hand!"

Didn't you all have to learn that when you were little (or moved to the state)? My native Iowan grandfather made us all learn it as soon as we were old enough to sing .

I can't say I have ever heard of that song!

I was born in Iowa and lived there over 40 years.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:34 AM

179 posts, read 246,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedibes View Post

i actually learned it in elementary school, but I think I learned it with correct/modern/non-hayseed pronounciation.

Don't they asy it "I-oh-way" in the movie version of "State Fair" (I owe Iowa all I owe....or whatever that silly song is...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa