Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2022, 02:53 PM

21 posts, read 23,364 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of moving our family to Iowa from Maryland when our apartment lease is up to be closer to his mom, who is retiring from MD to IA. While she is moving back to her hometown of Hampton in Franklin Co., we would like to live somewhere a bit bigger. I've checked lots of websites that have lists and describe best places to live, to help you find your niche, but I would like to hear from people within Iowa who have familiarity with how things actually are and not just statistics. We want a place that is more conservative than liberal, has low crime, affordable homes, and a strong economy with good jobs such as manufacturing or other blue collar (no degree needed) work that could support a family on a single income. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 09:41 AM

77 posts, read 135,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabe.Mamabookworm View Post
While she is moving back to her hometown of Hampton in Franklin Co., we would like to live somewhere a bit bigger.

We want a place that is more conservative than liberal, has low crime, affordable homes, and a strong economy with good jobs such as manufacturing or other blue collar (no degree needed) work that could support a family on a single income. Thanks.
Based on this criteria, I would look towards Mason City north of Hampton. I don't live there but have family there so visit quite often and I think it meets all of your requirements listed above. I don't know what housing values are in Mason City but I'm sure outside of Mason City they are quite reasonable as they are pretty much outside of any big town in Iowa. I suspect that compared to Maryland, any house in Iowa would also be considered reasonable.

When contemplating a big move like what you describe, my suggestion would be to come for a week or two visit before making any commitments. Drive around town and find the areas that appeal to you so when you deal with a realtor later, you can narrow down your search a bit. Spend time both during the day AND during the evening hours in a neighborhood that appeals to you. I've found that neighborhoods can vary drastically from mid morning to say seven in the evening as various people work different hours. If you can afford to do so, the best option is to rent first though like much of the U.S. right now, rentals are hard to come by especially if you don't qualify for a rent controlled place.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:09 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
I grew up in northern Iowa, and still visit family in north and central Iowa. As you probably know, Iowa is by and large a conservative state. Outside of Iowa City, I don't consider anyplace in the state terribly liberal.

From maps you've likely seen that the bigger towns in the general area are Mason City (already mentioned), Waterloo, Marshalltown, and Ames. Of these, I expect Waterloo and Ames have the most employment opportunities. My sense is that Marshalltown is somewhat depressed economically. Ames is a university town, but in my opinion isn't very liberal.

I don't know how realistic it is to support a family on one blue-collar job. You'd certainly want to have a good handle on this before undertaking such a big move.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:34 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,601,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabe.Mamabookworm View Post
My husband and I are thinking of moving our family to Iowa from Maryland when our apartment lease is up to be closer to his mom, who is retiring from MD to IA. While she is moving back to her hometown of Hampton in Franklin Co., we would like to live somewhere a bit bigger. I've checked lots of websites that have lists and describe best places to live, to help you find your niche, but I would like to hear from people within Iowa who have familiarity with how things actually are and not just statistics. We want a place that is more conservative than liberal, has low crime, affordable homes, and a strong economy with good jobs such as manufacturing or other blue collar (no degree needed) work that could support a family on a single income. Thanks.
Sioux City fits the bill. Many blue collar, and industrial-based jobs. It is mostly conservative, and not a lot of crime. Lots of recreational opportunities, and it is located next to the Missouri River. Housing costs are increasing just about everywhere, recommend renting for at least six months before being committed to buying a place.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:42 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,613,373 times
I'm moving to Mason City to be closer to family, probably this summer or fall. I'm retired, have a house to sell so not an issue for having to find a job. My nephew and his wife have been in Mason City over 30 years. They love it. They've been with their same places of employment for a long time.

As others have mentioned, you will need to be in a more populated area for your job search. I would definitely have something locked down before heading to the Midwest. Housing in Mason City seems high right now, but the whole housing market is on the inflated side.

Old 06-09-2022, 03:43 PM

21 posts, read 23,364 times
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your taking the time to reply. We're going to take some more time to sort out the employment/housing issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa