Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 05:32 PM

427 posts, read 499,910 times

Advertisements

I would agree. The Quad Cities is ultimately a typical blue collar area and, even if there are a few small cultural venues, you're not going to run into many people with an actual interest in the fine arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 05:39 PM

427 posts, read 499,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
What is the fine arts / performing arts scene like in Davenport? (theatre, symphony, ballet, etc) Also what is winter like-- length, amount of snow to shovel? I grew up in Davenport with I was a kid but it has been almost a half century since I lived in Davenport, and I contemplating returning. I have memories of long hot summers running through lawn sprinklers and hearing the ice cream truck coming down the block, raking giant piles of autumn leaves, Thanksgiving without snow, about a foot of snow on the ground at any one time is what I remember, and I remember the snow pretty much being gone in March and then being out wearing a jacket and flying kites. But my memories could be distorted, and then there is climate change. I've grown up, but my passions include the arts, and of course Davenport is not Chicago or New York, but I am curious if there is anything much to do besides toss a fishing line down at the levy by the dam? (i remember buying the 5 fishing poles and a gazillion lures for $12 off the back of a comic book then, we are talking 1960s! and then having all five poles and lines down in the river; i imagine fishing regulations have changed then, and of course in the 60s nobody cared about a little kid with five lines in the water, lol). I remember the beautiful countryside and milkweeds in the ditch out off Interstate 80 (when the speed limit was 90mph and when I once saw an Amish horse driven carriage on I80 coming at us from the wrong direction, yikes). Sick of extreme winter, cold, snow (living up here in Duluth MN)

I'd consider California. It has the most cultural amenities out of any state in the nation and perfect weather.
You won't escape the cold staying in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: