U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:03 AM

9,257 posts, read 17,869,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCB View Post
It's not the OP that said it was nine miles, it was someone giving advice.
I know that. The poster you quoted, Meemur, just moved to the DSM area from Ohio a few months ago. My guess is that she hasn't made it across the Missouri yet and was going by what one or another of the internet map engines told her (which is based on a random point within each city rather than the closest points).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 01:38 PM

482 posts, read 1,194,579 times
I would also post this thread in the Omaha forum. As others have said there is not really any space between Omaha and Council Bluffs. You cross the river in downtown Omaha and then you are in Council Bluffs. It seems like with three kids that school districts may be a driving factor in where you move as opposed to entertainment/nightlife. The public schools in Omaha are neighborhood based so you can go from schools as good or better as the ones in the suburbs to inner city schools where managing social problems and poverty take as much time as the district curriculum. These different schools can be very close to each other. The suburbs have pretty much the same type of schools as all other suburbs in the country. You can read into that what you will. District 66 is a wealthy school district in the middle of Omaha. There are many cities in the area such as, Omaha, Papillion, Ralston, LaVista, Gretna, Blair, Fort Calhoun, Bellevue, and sanitary improvement districts. These are all on the Nebraska side. The Iowa side has Council Bluffs and then mostly little bedroom communities. Most people live in the Nebraska side which leads to more shopping, entertainment, places to eat, different types of neighborhoods. It is also more urban if that is a factor. If you have more specific questions I will do my best to help.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:01 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,780,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I know that. The poster you quoted, Meemur, just moved to the DSM area from Ohio a few months ago. My guess is that she hasn't made it across the Missouri yet and was going by what one or another of the internet map engines told her (which is based on a random point within each city rather than the closest points).
I'm going by what my friend said when I visited in March. He lives on the north end of Council Bluffs and said he was about 9 miles from downtown Omaha. I didn't watch the millage when I drove over, but that seemed about right. I should've been more specific. Yes, parts look like one big burb!

That said, if I worked in downtown Omaha, I would live as close as I could get. I can imagine that commute greatly slowing down with the ice, and some of those roads in C.B. wouldn't be wonderful, either, but that's just my opinion.

I enjoyed my visit to Omaha! I hope to return, but I'm glad I live in Des Moines, where rush hour is much more civilized.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:43 AM

52 posts, read 110,450 times
distance between the two cities CB and Omaha is usually referenced by the distance between main post offices as I recall. So the 9 miles is actually inacurate as only the Mizzu river separates the two, except for Carter Lake, Iowa, which is on the Neb side of the Mizzu river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa